The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, bree2 said:

what i don't  like is players who are older and can't play up to nhl standards but they stubbornly won't hang up the skates, it is so unfair to the young kids waiting in the wings who deserve a spot!

I see both sides of it, but mostly agree.

It IS a job to them and that paycheque's important.  However, pride and integrity also have to matter...doing what's right for the $$ isn't always what's right.  Especially on a team where others also are impacted by your performance.  Dragging others along with you matters.  I'm so over the Loui experiment.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I like schmidtty and teams always need guys who keep things light, but I hope his class clowning doesn't end up rubbing travis the wrong way. green is a funny guy in his own right, but he takes hockey seriously and the young guys need to stay focused. 

that was some grade  A tomfoolery. 

Greeners probably laughing  on the inside, but had to remain cool headed and composed. kinda low key impressed me

13 minutes ago, bree2 said:

what i don't  like is players who are older and can't play up to nhl standards but they stubbornly won't hang up the skates, it is so unfair to the young kids waiting in the wings who deserve a spot!

Seems like society in general doesn't it?

There's always an old person in every organization that should have retired years ago.

• Thanks 1

Virtanen, Gaudette, Hoglander that's your third line. Teaches Hogz to be defensive, puts Virtanen in a position to show he's capable, lets Gaudette grow as a centre. This line is not the ultimate shutdown line but it would be pretty good with the right defencemen behind them. Put Sven back with Bo. Run Miller, Petey, Brock on the 1st line. 4th line with Sutter, Beags, Rous. 

The rest well use the press box and utica until we need depth.

Ps would rather have MacEwan slotted in the 4th line

Edited by #Canucks
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Did you watch the gold medal game (to Rooster):  "Of course I did...heartbroken".

Who stands out to him in camp:  "Hoglander...if I had a pool I'd draft him right away".   Yep, we see that for sure.

He's heart and soul...I'm totally on board with him.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, tas said:

I like schmidtty and teams always need guys who keep things light, but I hope his class clowning doesn't end up rubbing travis the wrong way. green is a funny guy in his own right, but he takes hockey seriously and the young guys need to stay focused. 

The clowning is over the top.

If I was Green I would have said practice is always optional and I have the option to not dress your ass.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Wat 5

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

If I was Green I would have said practice is always optional and I have the option to not dress your ass.

Initially...I'd say let him work himself in and sometimes this stuff is a bit of nervousness and to mask it.  A way to introduce yourself by lightening it all up.

If it continues and becomes a distraction...."focus".  For sure.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

i have had a lot of bosses who joke around and some who are straight as an arrow.

No harm in testing the waters, in fact it's actually good that he is. The faster he learns his place the better.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i have had a lot of bosses who joke around and some who are straight as an arrow.

No harm in testing the waters, in fact it's actually good that he is. The faster he learns his place the better.

Especially if it isn't hampering performance...which it didn't appear to be doing.  "Mailing it in" and emotionless is worse to me....blending in.  Versus lightening the load and loving the game.  If he's working hard and focused, I'm ok with making it "fun" as well.  

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

It’s been the better part of 3 seasons and Jake and Bo have showed zero chemistry.  How long does Green continue trying to force this chemistry that just isn’t happening?  Jake plays well with Gaudette and Rousell that line has chemistry but Jake and Bo not so much.  I like what I’m seeing from Hoglander, he gives Green so many more options.  He’s an energy winger who can play both wings, he has elite puck skills, good speed and his edge work is close to the best on the team.  Green can plug him up and down the lineup and be confident he will bring high energy to any line he puts him on.  The addition to Nils Hoglander will only be a positive.  I don’t understand peoples hesitation with Hoglander.  Bo has never had a consistent right winger and even if Hoglander only contributes Josh Leivo numbers it’s still a positive.  I’d park Loui in the minors and take the 1 million. 

I remember a preseason game were a line of Bo Virt and Sven combined for 12 points

If Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen end up being the 3rd line. Then we have:

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-?

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

?-Beagle-Motte

?

Looks like 3 spots (and maybe 3 taxi squad spots) for Sutter, Hoglander, Virtanen, Hawlyruk, Baertschi, Eriksson, Graovac, Bailey, Lind, Michaelis, etc.

I wonder if we end up putting Sutter on the Taxi Squad. Let's say Virtanen gets the top 6 spot. Hawlyruk gets the 4th line spot and Hoglander earns a roster spot. I could see Sutter and Eriksson on the Taxi squad with maybe Baertschi. I wonder if people will start complaining about us having the most expensive Taxi Squad in the league! 

12 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Virtanen, Gaudette, Hoglander that's your third line. Teaches Hogz to be defensive, puts Virtanen in a position to show he's capable, lets Gaudette grow as a centre. This line is not the ultimate shutdown line but it would be pretty good with the right defencemen behind them. Put Sven back with Bo. Run Miller, Petey, Brock on the 1st line. 4th line with Sutter, Beags, Rous. 

They wouldn’t play very much. 

Greener likes the to play lines he trusts more than the ones he doesn’t.  He even mentioned that they can’t afford growing pains in a 56 game season. 

Probably better to keep them separated for the most part on lines he can put more faith in overall. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This team has the most solid D it has had since their 2010 era and perhaps best in entire Division (certainly top 5 in league now....at least on paper).   The upgrade with TH and Schmidty, they could to a top pairing duo by themselves for about 1/2 the teams in the league, when you still have Edler, Hughes, Meyers and actual competition for the other two or three rotational spots is a luxury this team hasn't had in about 10 years.    I personally hate projections in such odd times but everything I can come up with has the improvement on the back-end more than making up for any losses in net (if there is actually any).   My largest concern going into the season for your Canucks is the lack of one more true top six winger.    Fingers crossed Virtanen steps up or NH is as potentially could be but one more top winger would be needed, in my mind, for this team to be a lock to play past the regular season.   Right now I think it could go either way and a lot will depend on the first 10 games (momentum never more important than this year).

I agree Rob

But I think it goes a little further

Not only do top teams have a solid top 6

but they have 1 or 2 guys waiting that "could" be top 6

This is where the Canucks show they are a team in transition

with a could/or could not be there

There certainly is a good chance we have taken then step

but we still need 1 or 2 of the following to take that next step

Virtanen, Gaudette, or Hoglander (with Podkolzin and Lind "potentially" pushing in the year ahead)

each has a chance to take that next step

and training camp or the first few games will show whether they have or not

As you know.......every tier of team, has more and more top level players

Benning by way of either design, luck or both, has strengthened the defense

and it is my belief that he will now wait to see who wants to take that next step on the forwards

This is why Hoglander is getting such a long look on the top 6,

if he catches on and is ligit, we take a step further along the road......

If not, it will take a little longer

Pretty bloody interesting...pretty bloody exciting!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Especially if it isn't hampering performance...which it didn't appear to be doing.  "Mailing it in" versus lightening the load and loving the game..  If he's working hard and focused, I'm ok with making it "fun" as well.  

I am not the least bit worried about Schmitty's exuberance. It certainly did not affect his play or team mates in Vegas and I very much doubt it will here either. If in the very unlikely event it is affecting the team or individual players in any negative way; I am sure Travis will have a chat with him.

IMO... a lot of ado about nothing.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

you got to get motte in there, he will be needed on the pk, he is our best PK'ER. 

I Like             

lotto line                                                                                                             JT,PETEY,JAKE

Pearson,Bo,Hoglander                                                                                                PEARSON,BO,BROCK

Roussel, Gaudette, Virtanen        if Hoglander Doesn't cut it on the second line  >    ROUSSEL,GAUDETTE,HOGLANDER   

Motte, Beagle, Sutter                                                                                                   MOTTE,BEAGLE,SUTTER

• Huggy Bear 1