The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd say that's a lack of imagination. Nobody's suggesting we sell off for rebuild moves.

That's exactly what some people want. In this thread and many others it's been suggested that guys like Sutter, Beagle, Rousell, Pearson should be moved because our 18-19-year-old prospects are ready and already better, even tho they have never played in the league. And there have been debates on here, HF etc crapping on Benning for year's for holding onto vets with expiring contracts instead of moving them. I won't single anyone out but 5 pages back 2 people think Sutter and Pearson should be moved for no other reason then to pave the way for Podz and Hogs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I see the forward lines being:

Miller - Petey - Virtanen

Hogz - Horvat - Boeser

Pearson - Gaudette - Sutter

Motte - Beagle - Roussel

if need be, Sutter could move to C and Mac could jump in somewhere (maybe Roussel moving up a line?)

balanced lines.

thankfully green doesn't see it that way. "spreading out scoring" should never come at the expense of splitting up your best forward pairings (brock with petey and j.t., horvat with pearson).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

You think Green will trust to not have to shelter Hoglander-Petey-Boeser? Petey needs to work on his faceoffs, but until he gets there, Miller will be there for support in that area, plus he adds physicality and size. Nevermind the chemistry those two have together.

If Pearson is with Horvat, why would there be two developing players? It'll just be Hoglander based on the line in camp and those two guys would be supporting him like as you've been proposing.

Roussel admitted he probably returned to the lineup too soon. We will be seeing a healthier Roussel which should improve the line a bit. Gaudette is improving and has produced offensively in this role. Right now we are seeing MacEwen on the line. We have yet to see if Virtanen has matured, but offensively he has produced at a decent rate given 3rd line minutes. Defensively is an issue, but then we could try to slot in Sutter there if that's the case.

I think our defensive struggles were more related on getting the puck out and having Schmidt (along with Hughes) will help in that area more than doing a massive shakeup to the forward group.

That line faces more offensive time. Petey's faceoffs in the playoffs improved from the season. Overall he's been progressing fast so it may be worthy of consideration with all facts considered. Hog gives that line speed and feistiness you shouldn't discount.

Miller to me is the type of player that can have chemistry with anyone as evident with him playing good with Horvat as well. Miller is also a good defensive player and a Miller-Horvat combo would shut down and score better than a Pearson-Horvat combo.

If you don't drop down Pearson than you have to play Roussel/Sutter with Gaudette and Virtanen on the 4th line with Motte/Beagle if you want the sort of balance I am talking about. That means Mac is on the outside looking in.

I feel we are more than a Schmidt away from addressing our defensive concerns. He definitely helps though. The loss of Tanev hurts us differently too than the positives Schmidt brings so it'll be interesting. Like I said we have to wait and see how some of these players perform. If Hamonic plays well that would definitely help too.

On paper you can slot in 2 youngsters together. But when I see that, with how Greener likes to play his lines and what he's shown in the past, I don't see them playing as much as the other 3 lines. More than likely the condensed season is gonna amplify how Green views things too. If you're young and struggling defensively you're probably gonna end up out of the lineup. No time for growing pains.

21 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

sutters been a canuck 5 yrs has 92 regular season points   basically a waste of 4.25 mill a yr its almost as bad as erikssons contract

Points are only part of what wins hockey games. Sutter has had his struggles with injuries over his time here, which is unfortunate, but when he's healthy, he's an effective suppression guy on our penalty kill. He won't be back after this season, we have other guys who can step in for less, but he's not a part of our problem.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nah, a playoff team with a hole/injury at 3 or 4C isn't likely to contact Benning to find out about an expiring Sutter's availability... Never happen. Stop playing at GM.

So Benning should oblige and weaken his own team's depth for what would be helpful maybe in the future, if at all?

Unless we are out of it Sutter especially isn't getting moved unless AG takes a massive step this year. Our record with Sutter in the lineup speaks for itself and he was excellent in the bubble you don't trade that in a season as unique as this unless someone offers something stupid (they won't) If he can stay healthy and AG doesn't improve defensively, I hope Benning brings him back if he's willing to play on a team-friendly deal. 

I know you said previously that multiple moves can be made one to bring in an upgrade and one to clear cap and I can see that on the wing in the top six but not for 3c. I doubt Jim feels the need to trade valuable pieces when 3c is fine if Sutter is healthy and hopefully an improving AG. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That line faces more offensive time. Petey's faceoffs in the playoffs improved from the season. Overall he's been progressing fast so it may be worthy of consideration with all facts considered. Hog gives that line speed and feistiness you shouldn't discount.

Miller to me is the type of player that can have chemistry with anyone as evident with him playing good with Horvat as well. Miller is also a good defensive player and a Miller-Horvat combo would shut down and score better than a Pearson-Horvat combo.

If you don't drop down Pearson than you have to play Roussel/Sutter with Gaudette and Virtanen on the 4th line with Motte/Beagle if you want the sort of balance I am talking about. That means Mac is on the outside looking in.

I feel we are more than a Schmidt away from addressing our defensive concerns. He definitely helps though. The loss of Tanev hurts us differently too than the positives Schmidt brings so it'll be interesting. Like I said we have to wait and see how some of these players perform. If Hamonic plays well that would definitely help too.

On paper you can slot in 2 youngsters together. But when I see that, with how Greener likes to play his lines and what he's shown in the past, I don't see them playing as much as the other 3 lines. More than likely the condensed season is gonna amplify how Green views things too. If you're young and struggling defensively you're probably gonna end up out of the lineup. No time for growing pains.

Well if you have line designed for more offensive time, then you're "sheltering" them into that role and negating the idea of "rolling 4 lines". If the concern is a 24 year old and a 23 year old on one line, you top line consists of 3 players that age or younger (a recently turned 20 year old in Hoglander). I think Hoglander will be a decent player, but I think we need to dial back the expectation for him. He may provide speed and fiestiness, but so does Miller with Miller adding even more to the line like being defensively responsible, having veteran experience and he can win faceoffs for possession for the offensive line to get going.

Miller could play well with anyone likely, but he's shown a strong connection with Petey so why break it up now?

This talk of offensive lines and shutdown lines seems contradictory to me if we are truly rolling 4 lines (which to me means any line can be on the ice at any time against any competition). Once you have lines that have roles, then it's really no different than what we have been doing. It would seem your only gripe is the "3rd line" and like I said, we could always slot Sutter in with say Roussel and Gaudette if that eases the idea of having Gaudette and MacEwen/Virtanen together.

Schmidt is actually very strong defensively as he is a puck mover. There's a reason why he was on the ice most last season against the top opposition. Hamonic covers the PK loss of Tanev while adding more physicality. I was a big Tanev supporter, but we have clearly upgraded here because I never thought we could get someone like Schmidt. I think many don't realize the impact of having someone like Schmidt added to this group.

Our biggest weakness last year wasn't really the forwards. It was the defense and we have revamped and upgraded here.

• Vintage 1

Im thinking a little high here... Timrå just lost their top D man due to a fracture, would it be stupid to send an good D prospect overseas to get time in a top D pairing against adults and some quality Special Teams practice? Thinking of a player like Jett Woo could get alot more ice time there than on a Comets team shared between The Canucks and The Blues? 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

sutters been a canuck 5 yrs has 92 regular season points   basically a waste of 4.25 mill a yr its almost as bad as erikssons contract

for the last 5 years he has been basically anywhere's between our 3rd and 6th best forward. pretty sure that means he's earned his pay. just because he didn't score many points doesn't mean he didn't earn his salary. he averaged about 17.5 minutes a game and averaged over 3 minutes short handed before beagle arrived. he does everything else too, hits blocks,good at faceoffs and plays hard.  unfortunately he missed about a 100 games due to injury. he has regressed some do to struggling with injuries, but you can't fault him for that. even last year he was our 6th best forward. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

for the last 5 years he has been basically anywhere's between our 3rd and 6th best forward. pretty sure that means he's earned his pay. just because he didn't score many points doesn't mean he didn't earn his salary. he averaged about 17.5 minutes a game and averaged over 3 minutes short handed before beagle arrived. he does everything else too, hits blocks,good at faceoffs and plays hard.  unfortunately he missed about a 100 games due to injury. he has regressed some do to struggling with injuries, but you can't fault him for that. even last year he was our 6th best forward. 

3rd best lol

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

If Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen end up being the 3rd line. Then we have:

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-?

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

?-Beagle-Motte

?

Looks like 3 spots (and maybe 3 taxi squad spots) for Sutter, Hoglander, Virtanen, Hawlyruk, Baertschi, Eriksson, Graovac, Bailey, Lind, Michaelis, etc.

I wonder if we end up putting Sutter on the Taxi Squad. Let's say Virtanen gets the top 6 spot. Hawlyruk gets the 4th line spot and Hoglander earns a roster spot. I could see Sutter and Eriksson on the Taxi squad with maybe Baertschi. I wonder if people will start complaining about us having the most expensive Taxi Squad in the league! 

Didn't green dress Sutter over AG in the bubble?  No disrespect to AG but Sutter is far better at what a 3c should be. AG was horrible in the bubble and was sheltered all season. Hopefully, he improves but I recall most of his offence coming from the PP and him being a trainwreck defensively.

I know we love AG he seems like a great kid and has a cool story but he's a bit of a tweener, better suited in an offensive role but being used in a role that isn't ideal. Kind of reminds me of Kerfoot or Jost.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuktravella said:

3rd best lol

8 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

6th best lol thats hilarious 

miller 72 points 

petey 66 

horvat 53

boeser 45 

pearson 45

virtanen 36 

gaudette 33 

leivo 19

toffoli 10points in 10 games 

beagle pk and leads nhl in faceoffs 

sutter 17 points  

id say hes 11th best forward last yr especially if u look at   cap hit per point hes right at the bottom  other than beagle but beagle is best faceoff guy soo ya not sure where u think hes 6th best player you sound like a homer 

• Wat 1

45 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

What a disingenuous post. Injuries are the only issue with Sutter. If you took 2 minutes that's pretty obvious. Our record with him in vs out also speaks volumes.

But then again your the guy who wants to trade Pearson and Sutterbecause you are under the impression it's the only way Podz and Hogs can both be on the team. 

I don't usually single people out but I've been reading your posts for year's and I kind of hope your just trolling cuz man if not.........

Just now, Alienhuggyflow said:

What a disingenuous post. Injuries are the only issue with Sutter. If you took 2 minutes that's pretty obvious. Our record with him in vs out also speaks volumes.

But then again your the guy who wants to trade Pearson and Sutterbecause you are under the impression it's the only way Podz and Hogs can both be on the team. 

I don't usually single people out but I've been reading your posts for year's and I kind of hope your just trolling cuz man if not.........

Don’t engage folks that wear white framed sunglasses.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

6th best lol thats hilarious 

miller 72 points 

petey 66 

horvat 53

boeser 45 

pearson 45

virtanen 36 

gaudette 33 

leivo 19

toffoli 10points in 10 games 

beagle pk and leads nhl in faceoffs 

sutter 17 points  

id say hes 11th best forward last yr especially if u look at   cap hit per point hes right at the bottom  other than beagle but beagle is best faceoff guy soo ya not sure where u think hes 6th best player you sound like a homer 

You realize there is more to hockey than points right? Also amount of games played and powerplay time are also a thing. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Alienhuggyflow said:

ya sutters just not a good sign for benning  not asbad as eriksson  but u dont  sign a vet thats not good to that kinda contract  thats why we have  to get creative  with cap space  to be  compliant