The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Millsy said:

Tbh it doesn’t really bother me. As long as we don’t go full Europe I wouldn’t care.

that being said, I’ve always wondered why companies advertise on jerseys, the boards etc. When I go to a game and see a Honda add on the boards, it won’t make me want a Honda if I’m buying a car, unless I wanted a Honda, I won’t buy a Samsung TV if I wasn’t considering one etc. Personally, I think these companies waste their money lol.

I could the NHL making a slow transition to having the ads on the jerseys as well to cover up for the lost revenue.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Do u have the points stats ? How did Hoglander do?

I do not.  But he got a goal and a couple of assists that I know of....someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Update:  a goal and one assist according to the post game commentary.  Thought he was in on 2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

A lot of people feel Boeser can hold his own. Petey says he likes to face that sort of competition and Greener has stated he should expect to face that since he is an elite offensive talent. They're gonna be used more offensively so no dialing back needed.

Who's a lot of people? Boeser isn't a nightmare defensively, but he's not out there often for defensive reasons. I'm sure there are stats out there that show he's mostly used in offensive starts. Green did say that, but that's in reference to top defenders and forwards that will try to get him off his game. If Petey is going to be facing the best scoring forwards on the other team, he is much better off supported with the likes of Miller than needing to take care of a rookie in Hoglander that isn't known for his two way game (I believe his coach in Sweden said he needs to work on the other 2/3rds of the ice).

Miller with Horvat ups that lines offensive and defensive play. They'd be an everything line.

The assumption is that Miller carries his offense to that line. Miller creates the space for Petey and he benefits from the skill of Petey as well. I bet Miller gets 10-15 points less on Horvat's because he would be playing with an offensively lesser player plus being put into a more defensive "shutdown" role. You're putting two of the best faceoff players in the league on the same line, which seems like a bit of a waste of possession is important (on special teams or specific times in a game, it makes sense). This is like putting Hughes and Schmidt as a pairing, they might be skilled together, but it makes more sense to have a puck mover like them for a larger portion of the game rather than limiting them to only a third of the game.

Teams have needs, roles that need to be filled. If one line isn't doing that then another must make up for it which is what line 2/4 have done defensively. The Canucks as a team need line 3 to take up more defensive responsibility so that line 2, our 2nd best line, can be utilized to the best of it's capability(equally offensively and defensively) instead of having to be used a bit more defensively. 

Pearson-Horvat were flanked by Eriksson for a large part of last season. That was why they got shifted to more of a defensive line. Pearson wasn't the problem for the offensive side of things. This is why management has been looking for offensive players to play the right side. Slotting in Hoglander on RW is an attempt to see if his skill can shine with that line. Miller with Petey allows that line to also be responsible at both ends. Adding skill to Pearson-Horvat allows the same to happen for that line. This gives two lines that can provide "everything" rather than just one with the other mainly for the offense.

We essentially need line 3 to be a mini-line 2 providing secondary scoring and defense. When you have lines that can be trusted defensively and play in multiple roles/situations you can then roll 4 lines or match up how you please as you will have the flexibility too. 

I'd argue to roll all 4 lines, then all 4 lines need to be trusted defensively. That's why you can't load up the offense on one line as then that line becomes more of a liability. Miller balances that out on the 1st line. If we really want the 3rd line to be a "mini line 2", then you simply put Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen/MacEwen/Gaudette/Hawlyruk to accomplish that and then add one of those to Beagle-Motte to create the 4th line. To me that's balancing the 4 lines and can all be rolled out at any time. However personally, I'd like to see Gaudette grow into the 3C role, which means either having another young(ish) player on his other wing or have Sutter there which we have seen before.

Partly contributed with moving the puck out. It's one part of a lot of things that go into defensive play. Like getting the puck back, covering lanes, playing below the hashmarks,  play away from the puck etc. Canucks never gave up the puck a lot last year but we struggled to get it back when we did give it up. It should be an issue addressed at in as many ways as we are capable.

I saw the main issue when we were trapped in our own zone, we couldn't get the puck out with ease. Even when we stole the puck back, we either dumped it out giving back possession or just not effectively getting the puck out as a unit. To me it was the connection between the forwards and defense. We need to either have a defender that can skate the puck out or have a player that can make the breakout pass. Hughes was the only one that could do so. Now we have added another in Schmidt and Juolevi is known for his outlet passes. To me, this will be the biggest difference. Not to say it solves all of our problems, but it's a big step in the right direction. To have one of Hughes/Schmidt on the ice (even with a 3rd like of say Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen), it's going to make a big difference no matter who's on the ice with them. Think Colorado and how they have Makar and Girard and how that works, even with Jost as their 3C.

If we disagree on how we'd like to see Miller utilized or Hog or what not than agree to disagree. We seem to have an agreement where it matters in regards to have 4 lines Green can trust enough, given the roles needing, balancing out time and granting flexibility with the line deployment. We just disagree on how to get there on some parts.

But yes we agree that minute management will be key this season. I doubt we will be see all 4 forward lines get the equal amount of minutes, but I'd like to ensure we don't burn out our players. I think it'll depend on the games and if say we have a solid lead, then hopefully new can depend on the other likes to eat up more minutes. At the very least Green and most of our players have gone through the bubble experience with a compressed schedule and that should give us a leg up to start.

We can agree to disagree on how it's done.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Thank you Swedish scouts for Nils Hoglander 

Thomas gradin ? The same man that found you eagle and the twins and naslund too I’m pretty sure

edit I guess you could put petey on that list too ... but I question marked gradin kuz I wasn’t sure he’s getting pretty old is he still our scout even lol ?

Edited by gottalovethosenucks
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I could the NHL making a slow transition to having the ads on the jerseys as well to cover up for the lost revenue.

On the shoulders ok, don’t want to see it plastered all Over like Europe

2 minutes ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

I hope so I just bet my friend 50 that he scores 20 this year because he said he wouldn’t make the team lol!!!

You should have just bet him that he’d make the team then LOL. Honestly I’d be happy with 10 goals in a shortened season with a couple highlight reels. Still gotta temper expectations and if he’s playing with Horvat he’s gotta learn on the fly to play responsible.