The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

35 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

ok, I'll bite.   Been around a lot of hockey clubs in my life and not once have I seen a personnel decision made to make someone "look good" that would harm a team's success.   Tell me some examples of such hockey decisions from the "countless" examples you have.    :)

Salary and seniority are 2 examples of politics that get in the way of management making the right decision.  Do I need to list them all? Let’s just have a beer on me and be friends.  

Just chiming in, saw all the highlights and tidbits (thanks y’all for posting them btw :)) and I gotta say, Hoggy is looking fantastic for an opening night roster spot. Guy is skilled as well and works his tail off. 
Also, Olli is looking good to finally play in the NHL, although Its probably best to keep him on the bottom pairing to get him some experience.

I cannot wait to prove to all these Laff blower media clowns that we just may be the one to beat ;)

EDIT: oh regarding and Gaudette’s Candida issue... I’ve unfortunately had it before, and it’s no joke. Your mind wants to eat and you have the hunger sensation in your body but your stomach just feels icky and nauseous after on a few bites. My nature path  doctor caught it for me, which medical doctors don’t usually test for. Glad he’s rid of it!

Edited by BlueDragon23
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

ok, I'll bite.   Been around a lot of hockey clubs in my life and not once have I seen a personnel decision made to make someone "look good" that would harm a team's success.   Tell me some examples of such hockey decisions from the "countless" examples you have.    :)

Mark Messier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

23 Man Roster:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Sutter - MacEwen

Beagle, Baertschi

Edler - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

Benn

Holtby

Demko

Taxi Squad:

Michaelis

DiPietro

Chatfield

Eriksson

Bailey

Graovac

Wouldn't be against Lockwood or Rathbone being on the taxi squad - as they don't seem too far away, but its probably best for them to be playing. 

That’s how I see it as well...

More like a 1st 2nd and two 3rd lines... Sutter’s line could end up with more minutes when we’re up and Gaudette’s when we need a spark.  

Lotto line should be as dangerous as anyone in our division. 

No old school “enforcers” but a nice mix of size and toughness throughout.  Miller, Horvat, Rooster, Jake, Mac and Motte all like to hit and aren’t afraid to scrum it up. 

Also, 3 lines that play pretty solid 2 way play and the Gaudette line could be a spark plug line hitting / chirping / scoring / being all around obnoxious.  

3 reliable pairs who all transition the puck well.. Edler, Hamonic and Myers can all bring some muscle.  

2 solid goalies. One vet who’s done it all and a  high ceiling rookie ready to make the jump.

Can we be excited now?  I kind of want to be excited now. 

• Upvote 2

...I guess if you want a cold splash of pessimism some could call realism, our bottom 2 lines could be seen as two 4th lines. 

I could see that POV since neither Sutter nor Gaudette are ideal 3C’s... not enough points or that elite shutdown acumen. 

I think a healthy Rooster and focused Jake are 3rd line wingers... and I love the energy Motte and Macewen bring. 

Still excited.

Edited by ilduce39

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

23 Man Roster:

Motte - Sutter - MacEwen

Beagle, Baertschi

Edler - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

Benn

Holtby

Demko

Taxi Squad:

Michaelis

DiPietro

Chatfield

Eriksson

Bailey

Graovac

Wouldn't be against Lockwood or Rathbone being on the taxi squad - as they don't seem too far away, but its probably best for them to be playing. 

Baertschi is getting punted to Utica 100%

hawryluk will be the 13/14th forward 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If you honestly believe that this would decide who makes the team you have not a clue about how professional hockey works.   Benning could give a rat's behind how an asset is acquired and the coach even less so.   This artificial crap about egos and such driving personnel decisions is beyond ridiculous.   The Canuck management and coaching staff are paid for on-ice results and not a hope they would sacrifice that to make themselves "look good".    

The thought that people even entertain the idea of that mindset being a possibility boggles me. Canucks fans can be so strange sometimes lol. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

23 Man Roster:

Motte - Sutter - MacEwen

Beagle, Baertschi

Edler - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

Benn

Holtby

Demko

Taxi Squad:

Michaelis

DiPietro

Chatfield

Eriksson

Bailey

Graovac

Based on the lines in training camp and the comments in media availability, I could see this being very close to what we will see on opening night. I haven't felt this confident in a long time during training camp with the amount of depth we've got right now.

Coming out of camp I think this will be the initial roster.

Miller Petey Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  Virtanen

Roussel  Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle MacEwen

Waive Baertschi and Loui

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Benn

Chatfield or Rafferty

Demko  Holtby

This will maximize LTIR for Ferland.

Once Ferland is put on LTIR we can sign Hamonic and call up Hoglander.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That’s how I see it as well...

More like a 1st 2nd and two 3rd lines... Sutter’s line could end up with more minutes when we’re up and Gaudette’s when we need a spark.  

Lotto line should be as dangerous as anyone in our division. 

No old school “enforcers” but a nice mix of size and toughness throughout.  Miller, Horvat, Rooster, Jake, Mac and Motte all like to hit and aren’t afraid to scrum it up. 

Also, 3 lines that play pretty solid 2 way play and the Gaudette line could be a spark plug line hitting / chirping / scoring / being all around obnoxious.  

3 reliable pairs who all transition the puck well.. Edler, Hamonic and Myers can all bring some muscle.  

2 solid goalies. One vet who’s done it all and a  high ceiling rookie ready to make the jump.

Can we be excited now?  I kind of want to be excited now. 

2 veterans I'm looking at to give this team an extra gear are Schmidt & Roussel.

Schmidt is one of the biggest additions any Canadian team made. I knew he was good but now its setting in how good a player he really is and how much he is going to improve our defense - and by extension our team as a whole. 

People talk about good teams - playoffs teams - having 3 great defenseman leading their defense. With Hughes, Schmidt & Edler we finally have those 3 anchors. Then Myers, Hamonic, Juolevi are all guys that offer something a little different & can fill specific roles - good complements. 

Then Roussel; had a down year coming back from injury. But think back to his first season & how effective a sparkplug he could be on the third line. Think he had 30 points too. Good offensive contribution & could drag guys into the fight on off nights.

If he could return to form & solidify that third line - alongside an improved Gaudette - you suddenly have the bones of a legit solid top 9. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

They will give Juolevi the chance. He’s played NHL games, shown he can handle it, and is ready. It’s not about whose pick either was. 

Rathbone looks to be promising but he hasn’t even played against AHL players. Fans need to respect there’s still a lot for young players to learn from Junior or college to the AHL to the NHL, especially d men.  Rathbone needs to work on his defensive side and get used to NHL size and speed. He will start in Utica so that he can get top reps and acclimatize to the pro game. That’s not politics it’s smart development 

Neither did Boeser or Quinn Hughes, but they turned out fine.  The thing is I don’t think Juolevi has out played Rathbone.  Rathbone looks sharper, faster and sees the ice better, that behind the back pass to Pettersson showcased his creativity.  And the numbers he put up in the NCAA were as good as Quinn Hughes numbers.  Not saying he’s Quinn but he’s a very good top 4 Defenceman.  His agility and edge work are very noticeable.  If it’s a choice between those 2 I’d pick Rathbone.  Juolevi looks solid but he’s not noticeable like Jack Rathbone.  Juolevi’s injuries have set his development back and it shows.   Edit: Pettersson didn’t play in the AHL either.  They’ve all played against men, in the case of Hoglander he’s been playing against men since he was 17. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Based on the lines in training camp and the comments in media availability, I could see this being very close to what we will see on opening night. I haven't felt this confident in a long time during training camp with the amount of depth we've got right now.

Same. This team looks really good.

Think of the days when we we're trying to piece together a defense relying on Edler/Tanev/Gudbranson/Hutton.

And a top 6/top 9 hoping on Goldy, Eriksson, Boucher Virtanen, Leipsic, Etem, Baertschi, exc. We've come a long way. 

16 minutes ago, billabong said:

Baertschi is getting punted to Utica 100%

hawryluk will be the 13/14th forward 

Your right I totally forgot about Hawryluk.

Baertschi to the taxi squad. Graovac/Eriksson to Utica IMO. (Prob Graovac since Hawryluk can play C)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Same. This team looks really good.

Think of the days when we we're trying to piece together a defense relying on Edler/Tanev/Gudbranson/Hutton.

And a top 6/top 9 hoping on Goldy, Eriksson, Boucher Virtanen, Leipsic, Etem, Baertschi, exc. We've come a long way. 

Your right I totally forgot about Hawryluk.

Baertschi to the taxi squad. Graovac/Eriksson to Utica IMO. (Prob Graovac since Hawryluk can play C)

Yikes, I totally forgot about those days. The days before Boeser joined the team.

Yes, we've come a long way...

C7ey3E3VYAA1RmJ?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • Haha 3