The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Pre-pandemic, especially once I retired back in 2014, I basically never missed attending Training Camp in person. Enjoyed reporting my impressions on this forum. I’ll definitely miss going this year. I wonder if the Canucks ever thought about doing a live stream of the practices and scrimmages. I’d sure as heck watch a bunch of it. Really want to see how Juolevi looks. I love the optimism many folks have for him this year....but, slightly jaded oldster that I am I really need to SEE IT before I get too excited. His playoff appearance (albeit highly sheltered minutes) was promising....almost tantalizing. If he finds just a half a gear more in his skating....I’ve no doubt we’ve got something special with him.

Rathbone as well. Two young, elite skating d-men is something I don’t ever recall the Canucks having. From what I’ve seen of Jack, he’s more straight line locomotive power to Quinn’s skate edge artistry. Booming shot from the point. Not sure on it’s perceived accuracy. I think if he goes to Utica (probably likely) he won’t be there too long.

Then there’s a (hopefully) fitter Virtanen, and (hopefully) stronger versions of Hughes and Petey.

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 2

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Bo - Virtanen

Hawlyruk - Gaudette - Sutter

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

MacEwen

Schmidt - Myers

Edler - Hughes

Juolevi - Hamonic

Benn - Chatfield

Holtby

Demko

Taxi Squad: Eriksson, Graovac, Bailey, Brisebois, Rafferty, Kielly

Utica

Baertschi - Jasek - Lind

Hoglander - Michaelis - Lockwood

Gadjovich

Rathbone - Sautner

Teves - Woo

Eliot

DiPietro

Silovs?

This is what I project, but certainly there could be players that could earn spots. I just think the younger guys need to play, so there's no point of having them in the taxi squad. Rathbone might have a good camp, but this way it keeps him closer to home for a while longer and not have to worry about border crossings. Hoglander may opt to go back to Sweden if he doesn't crack the NHL roster. Baertschi might make the taxi squad, but I suspect it'll be in place of Bailey if this is the case as I can't see us dropping a center in Graovac (although I'd be curious if Michaelis or Jasek win that spot) and Eriksson is PK insurance. It's a toss up for me between Sautner or Brisebois for the taxi squad spot.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

"Horgie" raised the top rate of personal tax in BC by 4 percent a year ago to 53.5%.  Makes Canuck players pay one of the highest rates of personal tax in the entire league. Seattle players will pay 11% less, Calgary 6% less. Those are real differences with our two closest competitors.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

My predictions, not that they are worth that much;

Miller Petey Boeser

Pearson Bo Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Sutter

Baertschi Beagle Motte 

MacEwen

Hughes Hamonic

Schmidt Myers 

Edler  Rafferty 

Joelevi Benn

Demko Holtby 

Ace in the hole is Nils Hoglander.  He could easily steal a roster spot!  To my eyes he has to beat Baertschi. Is capable of being a checker and puckk winner from the 3rd line. I think Baertschi has Pearson to beat.  As he ''has'' to play top 6, is not really suited to checking or depth lines.  Pearson and Hoglander can?

Rafferty / Juolevi as much up to how well Schmidt shows in a right side role at camp.  Green, and myself again that it counts little, have shown preference to RHD on  the right side.  Hence my D to start all being in their natural roles.  Juolevi has to play so well, Green gives up this concept...

Someone will also be injured. On D AND up front.  So, for example, its possible we see Hoglander & Bartschi opening day.  

Taxi squad is how big, 4 ???;

Eriksson, Sautner, Hawryluk, Graovac

I would be floored if Baer is on the team in any role but top six. Healthy he is the best option to play with Horvat and is the best playmaker of the options. As much as he gets crapped on, he still put up 2nd line numbers, playing him on the 3rd line basically set him up to fail IMO.

That allows Jake to be on the 3rd and Sutter on the 4th line.

I could be wrong but the best 4th line we had was with Sutter.

When he wasn't it was literally the worst in the league and got just caved in. I hope Hogs and Jayce do well and earn a spot possibly leaving some vets getting pushed to the taxi squad,  along with Zac. I do wonder if Hogs is ready I wonder if Rousell gets moved?

With the amount of injuries bound to happen guys like him and Sutter may actually have a market if they end up redundant here.

4 hours ago, The King said:

Mark my words,

Hoglander   Petey     Boeser

Miller      Horvat       Virtanen

Roussel     Sutter       Gaudette

Motte      Beagle      MacEwen

Hughes      Hamonic

Edler     Schmidt

OJ         Myers

Pearson is dealt for a defensive prospect.

I could see that being the fine tuned lineup in mid season but I think they will play it safe on opening night.

That's a great idea though. I hope Hog surprises.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Virtanen

Pearson Gaudette Sutter

Hawryluk Beagle Motte

Macewen Roussel

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Benn

Holtby

Demko

I'm not sure how many can be on the taxi squad but...

Eriksson, Rafferty, Chatfield, Baertschi, DiPietro just to name a few

Ferland on LTIR

Edited by 10pavelbure96

Just my 2c worth...

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Sutter

Motte Beagle MacEwen

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Holtby, Demko

Taxi: Hoglander, Baertschi, Graovac, Benn, Rafferty, Kielly

• Cheers 1

What we will most likely see 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Motte-Beagle-Eriksson 

(Yikes to that bottom six forward group) 

Hughes-Schmidt

Edler-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Holbty

Demko 

VS 

What I would like to see 

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen 

At least start Jake here, give him chance to "be the guy" not stuck on the fourth line to start. If anyone can get through to Jake on the team its Miller. Whenever Jake is on his line you better believe he will be all over him, making him accountable while coaching him. 

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

This gives us 2 scoring lines not just having to rely on the top line to score. Horvat and Boeser have had chemistry in the past. Hoglander if he has a good camp deserves to be here. He'd arguably have the second best hands on the team after Petey.  He's a motor player that will battle hard and think the O side of the game like Boeser and Horvat. They will be a legit threat, similar to the way Baertschi, Horvat and Boeser clicked a few seasons ago!

The bottom six from here is really a $&!# show. Pearson,Roussel,Beagle,Sutter,Eriksson looks gross on paper. It'll probably be an unpopular decision but I'd like to see:

Pearson-Gaudette-Hawryluk

Pearson and Hawryluk bring great 2 way ability. Gaudette and Hawryluk have great speed. They can all chip in with offence, while being reliable in the D zone.

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen 

Grind it out every shift line. They will out work you. MacEwen deserves to be on the team. Enough of this 13th forward crap. Sutter and Eriksson both have no future with the team once their contracts are up so stop playing them. Rousse had a Great first year then major knee injury. Maybe he just never got into sync but he didn't fight at all and just ran his mouth which I don't like. There is room for him but MacEwen needs to play. Figure it out Travis!

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic 

Demko - Starter 

Holtby - Backup

Edited by Outsiders

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I would be floored if Baer is on the team in any role but top six. Healthy he is the best option to play with Horvat and is the best playmaker of the options. As much as he gets crapped on, he still put up 2nd line numbers, playing him on the 3rd line basically set him up to fail IMO

I would be floored if Baertchi was anywhere but the taxi squad or the AHL. It's like everyone conveniently forgot he wasn't that great to begin with... He was OK as a fill in when we had dismal options on wing. If we need a soft perimeter player i can think of better ones than Sven in the top 6. He doesn't belong on the third line either. 

In fact if he belonged on either, another team would have taken him for free before the flat cap was announced. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, the grinder said:

that body matches Sekeres fat head  perfectly

no kidding. 

I'm actually really hoping Jake shows up in beast mode. He's got all the physical tools to be a dominant player. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I really love the posters on here that call out Jake for having a low hockey IQ and then go on and talk about how useless Beagle, Sutter and Roussel are.

The early years that Sutter was here, why did he go from an ironman to hurt a lot? 

Without Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Motte, how do we beat Wild, Blues and break Vegas MOJO?

The NHL is not stuck in the 80's with the mentality that if you score 10, we will score 11. If you think so, go back and rewatch the bubble rounds without the blinders. You need them. They are also not gross simply because you do not like their contracts. The contract is irrelevant. 

Because defense isn't "sexy".

I loved the Beagle signing. His game is based on brains and hard work, not necessarily speed although he's not slow - meaning he'll continue to be effective through the end of the deal. Matt Cullen was another guy "like that" - who spent so much time being in shape that he kept it going in the face of father time.

I think some of these people would rather see Bo killing every penalty and playing every shift because reasons rather than having the Sutter and Beagle absorbing that beating and grinding down the opposition top players and letting the guys who are good at scoring stay fresh and ready to score.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

(...)

Taxi squad is how big, 4 ???;

Eriksson, Sautner, Hawryluk, Graovac

Taxi squad is minimum 4 and maximum 6 and has to include at least 1 goalie.   

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

As Good as any!

But, I have a couple of thoughts

I think the Taxi squad will have Baertschii and Benn on it, as they are close at hand, get to train with the big club and we get to reduce our cap

which allows for one of 2 things....1) more room at the TDL or 2) allows us to be able to pay a bigger portion of the bonus's

I don't think Raffery makes it.........could be on the Taxi squad

To me, Benning has to save cap space

There’s no banking cap space in LTIR and it seems all but guaranteed that they will use LTIR to sign Hamonic.   The bonus overage could be lower though as the max bonus is pro-rated 56/82.  

The schedule A is max 580K vs 850K.  So Pettersson/Hughes will combine for at most 1.16M in A bonus vs 1.7M last season.  Juolevi also has an 850K target that is now 560K.

Pettersson’s schedule B goes from 2M to just under 1.4M.  He can earn that amount if he is top-10 in either goals, assists, points or points per game.  

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Just my 2c worth...

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Sutter

Motte Beagle MacEwen

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Holtby, Demko

Taxi: Hoglander, Baertschi, Graovac, Benn, Rafferty, Kielly

I think Eriksson will be on Taxi Squad, but I like your idea better, that he just be sent to Utica.

• Haha 1