The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Hold it! That's enough!!! Don't you dare tell the lames they can't have Louie Eriksson FFS! ;)

there's no way they can get lou, He's has to finish up his bag skate, it wouldn't be fair to the other player's if he quit early

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

there's no way they can get lou, He's has to finish up his bag skate, it wouldn't be fair to the other player's if he quit early

I actually think he's even at the point even the lowly Lames wouldn't take him.... and that's saying something...

43 minutes ago, FriendlyCanuck said:

If you were a betting man what are the odds that Hollanger stays with the Canucks?

To us who are Jake fans this is a direct insult and frankly an unbelievable move to place a small rookie on a 2nd line? It's all fun and games just for trial but Green can't be serious to actually let Hollanger start on a 2nd line? What?

who is Hollanger exactly? a new signing? never heard of him.. ;)

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Also we would have every 1st round pick on the roster since the 2014 draft.

I can confidently say we’ve never done that in our history.

If we can bring Podkolzin over to play at the end of this year, we'd have at least 1 first round pick on the roster from every draft from 2011-2019. This is coincidentally every year we drafted in the first round between years in which we did not have any first rounders.

2010: No first round pick. (Canucks first pick was 4th round, 115th overall. Patrick McNally)

2011: Miller (15th overall, NYR)

2012: Pearson (30th overall, LAK)

2013: Horvat

2014: Virtanen

2015: Boeser

2016: Juolevi

2017: Pettersson

2018: Hughes

2019: Podkolzin 

2020: No first round pick (Canucks first pick was 3rd round, 82nd overall, Joni Jurmo)

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, FriendlyCanuck said:

If you were a betting man what are the odds that Hollanger stays with the Canucks?

To us who are Jake fans this is a direct insult and frankly an unbelievable move to place a small rookie on a 2nd line? It's all fun and games just for trial but Green can't be serious to actually let Hollanger start on a 2nd line? What?

Looks like Hoglander at least starts with the team.  Been turning heads in camp.

Im high on Jake too but maybe a part of this is fit.  Bo already brings the speed rush / power forward element to his line so Jake is a bit redundant.  

He also draws a lot of hard matchups so while I don’t think Hoglander is known as a defensive stalwart yet, neither is Jake from what I can gather.  

Meanwhile, Jake and Gaudette can add another like with some offensive pop.  

For top 6 chances I actually saw it more likely that Jake move up with Petey like we saw a few times last hear with Brock dropping to the 2nd line... we could still see that but can’t blame Green for rolling out the Lotto line to start the year though.  We know it works.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

aparrently it's a small donut shop in ontario.

Jake has fallen far from grace, a Honey chrueler and a krispy Kreme has passed jake on the depth chart

really I thought Cruller was put on the LTIR list after he got a bite to the groin area? must have been some surgeon he got and must have spent a ton of time in the hyberbaric chamber, nice to know he's ok though.. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I feel it was more his unwillingness to line match that did him in. My recollection, admittedly suspect at the best of times, was that during the Calgary series when the Canucks were in need of the tying goal he threw out the 4th line instead of the Sedins. Anyway all water under the bridge now as the Nucks have their guy.

I think Willie D's real ( Gud ) problem?

Was nothing more than Green was doing a great job in Utica! 

3 hours ago, Davathor said:

Alright boys (and gals) what are the drinking rules? Besides the obvious shotgun Jake. 

Take 1 drink per hit/shot

Finish drink on a goal

@debluvscanucks can we pin this one too? Pretty please!

It seems to have the correct attitude nailed!

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Also we would have every 1st round pick on the roster since the 2014 draft.

I can confidently say we’ve never done that in our history.

This is awesome!  

Someone else mentioned McCann. But we have Pearson, a by-product of Gudbrandson, traded for McCann.

Its still awesome.  We also have Demko from that first JB draft. And was Gaudette year 2?   

Edited by Canuck Surfer
forgot to comment on first quoted post

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Looks like Hoglander at least starts with the team.  Been turning heads in camp.

Im high on Jake too but maybe a part of this is fit.  Bo already brings the speed rush / power forward element to his line so Jake is a bit redundant.  

He also draws a lot of hard matchups so while I don’t think Hoglander is known as a defensive stalwart yet, neither is Jake from what I can gather.  

Meanwhile, Jake and Gaudette can add another like with some offensive pop.  

For top 6 chances I actually saw it more likely that Jake move up with Petey like we saw a few times last hear with Brock dropping to the 2nd line... we could still see that but can’t blame Green for rolling out the Lotto line to start the year though.  We know it works.

Agree with all that above.

We'll see what happens for the rest of camp.  For people fretting that Jake has been passed on the depth chart, they just need to keep in mind he's realistically a couple scoreless periods away from getting back into the top 6.  A coach can set up things all he likes, but when things go dry and the line blender comes out new combos can be discovered.

I truly am intrigued by the idea of Hoglander on the 2nd and Virtanen on a higher scoring threat 3rd line.  We'll see what happens.  Excited for NHL hockey to be back!

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Agree with all that above.

We'll see what happens for the rest of camp.  For people fretting that Jake has been passed on the depth chart, they just need to keep in mind he's realistically a couple scoreless periods away from getting back into the top 6.  A coach can set up things all he likes, but when things go dry and the line blender comes out new combos can be discovered.

I truly am intrigued by the idea of Hoglander on the 2nd and Virtanen on a higher scoring threat 3rd line.  We'll see what happens.  Excited for NHL hockey to be back!

For sure.  Jake getting bumped from the top 6 is your prototypical “good problem” to have! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

For sure.  Jake getting bumped from the top 6 is your prototypical “good problem” to have! 

A good problem but people seem to want to trade someone when we have good depth! Lol 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

Im sorry to say this my friend, but that site is just predicting what the canucks will do. a few weeks ago ferland was put on the LTIR on the website, but there was no official announcement from the canucks. search the forum, google the internet, it hasn't happened yet. here's a link https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players/playerpage/1769712/micheal-ferland ************ it literally was reported during making this post.

if you prefer, i can abstain from correcting mistakes i see in your posts.

Just to clarify. Capfriendly doesn't guess or predict what a teams roster and salaries are. They use facts. Yet another mistake on your part.

Edited by RWMc1

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

I don't  agree with the absolute that trading away expiring contracts brings value to the team. that absolute assumes that  he doesn't already have a plan for the cap. There are scenario's where letting a player walk will be the best thing for your team. for instance, locking up petterson, hughes and demko to long term deals, or  the expiring player himself. you could also use that capspace on free agency which is going to be full of free agents looking to sign short contracts  so as not to miss out on thier "pay raise" when the cap goes up. I could go on and on, trading a declining Beagle is a possibility.

my main trouble with your proposal earlier is that your trading from a position of weakness instead of trading from a postion of strength. you wouldn't even consider trading a defenceman,  If like you said the goal is to improve then shouldn't we consider that a more realistic possibility? both benn and edler are free agents as well. and im pretty sure were not going to have a roster spot available for all our young D. we could have another 3 D ready to make the jump next year. we should be able to afford to trade one of these D. I would love to upgrade at center to a elite 3rd liner and if we could get that by trading a young d piece and one of sutter/beagle/gaudette I would  definetley consider that trade. But I would prefer the trade is closer to march than april.

it seems i have changed my tune a bit about the possibility of a trade, though it will be very hard to make this trade, I would cconsider it.

Benn was one of the players I suggested moving fyi :picard:

4 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

Green just tweeted he's comfortable with sutter,beagle and gaudette playing centre, he also said he was going to need a lot of depth this year. and that he will have to make some hard decisions with the veterans.

@aGENT

@FaninMex

You forgot to add that one may be tried on the wing... I like that you left that part out.