The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

nice dodge today, got lucky

There was no luck involved. I showed you my source even. You tried to claim that capfriendly predicts rosters. You were wrong. A lot of posters here use capfriendly so you're not going to convince anyone that you were right because you weren't.

• Upvote 1

Other than a trade. 

Erikisson and Baer go to Utica.

Benn goes to the Taxi Squad.

Hogs stays, one of Rathbone, Rafferty, or Chatfield stays. Unless all three go to Utica or Taxi Squad and we reserve a spot for Hamonic? 

That's all I can figure. The team as it stands right now is $1.4 million over the limit. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

10 minutes ago, FriendlyCanuck said:

It's just bad optics to have players like Jake who is being paid 2.5$ mill a year to not be in top 6 when a rookie like Hollander who is unproven, small and worth nothing in terms of salary would be given such an amazing chance.

It's inconceivable, its so hard for a rookie to even play a few games in the NHL let alone be placed on a 2nd line right off the bat like what?

It looks so bad to have dozens of millions of dollars parked away in the bottom 6 (Erikson, Sutter, beagle, jake) how can a team be competitive in today's NHL when half the salary are complete write offs - people all over the NHL should be praising how well Canucks are doing with what they got considering half the salary cap is wasted. 

wasted? how rude.

LE is a character guy He's.never going to

give you up

let you down

run around and desert you

make you cry

say good bye

tell a lie and hurt you.

Beagle, or around these parts we call him Mr.BEAGS cute right?

what could i tell you about this hunka, hunka, selke nominated, cup winning Man

Faceoffs         Bing

penalty killing Bang

dump da puck BOOM!!

Sutter formerly known as D Payne

sutter has earned every single penny and then some.

For the last 5 years, He has been the most influential person in the entire orginization regarding prospect development.

it sounds crazy, but its true. more impatful than the captain or coaches

if i had to guess, without sutter our prospect pool would be  110 games behind in development

I think I made my point pretty clear. Anything Else?

PS how is Calgary btw? I Heard great Things about the thai food. Oh, and that ring road,  you can drive in a circle around the city, is that true?

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Other than a trade. 

Erikisson and Baer go to Utica.

Benn goes to the Taxi Squad.

Hogs stays, one of Rathbone, Rafferty, or Chatfield stays. Unless all three go to Utica or Taxi Squad and we reserve a spot for Hamonic? 

That's all I can figure. The team as it stands right now is $1.4 million over 

Ferland is on IR, not LTIR until the season starts.

Screenshot_20210108-002051_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-002109_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

There was no luck involved. I showed you my source even. You tried to claim that capfriendly predicts rosters. You were wrong. A lot of posters here use capfriendly so you're not going to convince anyone that you were right because you weren't.

if only you could follow your own advice, maybe I wouldnt have been "wrong" But in this case I wasn't the only news source about Ferland on the third was JB's stippet on Ferland. they used that as thier source, there was like 5 or 6 tweets after Jim benning's stippet from reputable sources mentioning about he would be placed on the LTIR.

Like correct me if im wrong but if ferland was on LTIR already JB would have mentioned that. GASP HOT TAKE COMING IN, maybe capfriendly jumped the gun. this is taken from thier website "We are constantly on the look out for contract news from credible news outlets, reporters, and insiders" the literal first report of ferland on LTIR was at 3:00 pm pst today way after the fact.

capfriendly does make guesses on roster's during the off season, how else would you explain jack rathbone being on the active roster just a few days ago and now all of a sudden OJ is there. Capfriendly is not a source.

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It will be interesting to see if Andersson in Calgary can come out of being sheltered?  Still looks like a good top 4, depending on how long Gio can keep it up?

Without it knocking anybody, its a general compliment, Hamonic is also undoubtedly in our top four? It looks, like he will play with Hughes. 

We will have a top 4D on our 3rd pair. Two, if Juolevi plays up to potential? And Rob Zepp's suggestion...

Montreal looks solid, if unspectacular?  Very physical. Next best D core to us IMO. 

I do not like Toronto. Bogosian, who is too slow, the only natural RHD. I think Muzzin & Brodie both play off side? But its a bad recipe. Philly did it for years & was exposed. Wasted the best years of Voracek, Giroux. Getting otherwise good D to look bad playing outside their natural positiion.       

Winnipeg would have looked very good with Hamonic. Missed opportunity. Will have Heinola in their top 4, and it will look better than as above. Later, Samberg. 

Gudbrandson never really had a puck mover to rescue him here, Anaheim. He did, and looked good in Florida? Wonder if he will look ok with Chabot, one of the best zone exit / entry guys in the league?  If not Ottawa looks in for trouble.  Coburn struggled in Philly 6 years ago on his off side. Wonder how he will do again now in his mid 30's...  

Edmonton has the potential to be ok. Lost year for Klefbom really hurts them. Could have actually been good?  

Starting with us; Not totally sure what to think on Hamonic. Seen mixed reviews. Some think he'll be exclusively a bottom pair guy, some think he might be able to re-gain some old form. I'm optimistic he can play #4 mins w/ Hughes - and I'm sure they'll try that - but until we see him I'd have Myers ahead on the depth chart myself.

Id have the top four defense cores as Montreal, Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver (in no particular order). Then Weber & Hughes are the best 2 defenseman in Canada, with Chabot right in that conversation aswell.

Montreal has the former & Jeff Petry is probably Nate Schmidt level. I'm not sure if Chiarot & Edmundson round out their top 4 aswell as Myers/Edler, Tanev/Hanifin, or even TJ Brodie+. But you can't argue against the first 2 guy. And Chiarot was really good last year.

In Toronto I think their top 3 of Rielly, Brodie & Muzzin are all really solid. Who the #4 guy is I'm not sure. Where they rank depends on how well Brodie fits in & how good Morgan Rielly can be. (18-19 Rielly or 19-20 Rielly)

Your right on Winnipeg - Heinola will be there. I like Heinola alot but he's still a young defenseman being thrust into a big role. Overall their defense is unspectacular outside of Morrissey who is fantastic. Crazy how their defense has deteriorated from just a few years ago. 

Klefbom is a massive loss for Edmonton, otherwise they would be solid. Calgary on the other hand I still think is very good. Who knows if Giordano will ever be close to Norris level again, but they have really nice depth. All 4 guys you feel comfortable with IMO, then there's some guys behind them like Kylington & Stone.  

Then Ottawa, poor Ottawa. Chabot is a star but I suspect the rest of the defense will be mixed around as the year goes on. The good news is Jake Sanderson looks great, plus they still have Brannstrom, Jacob Bernard-Docker & Lassi Thomson coming. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FriendlyCanuck said:

It's just bad optics to have players like Jake who is being paid 2.5$ mill a year to not be in top 6 when a rookie like Hollander who is unproven, small and worth nothing in terms of salary would be given such an amazing chance.

It's inconceivable, its so hard for a rookie to even play a few games in the NHL let alone be placed on a 2nd line right off the bat like what?

It looks so bad to have dozens of millions of dollars parked away in the bottom 6 (Erikson, Sutter, beagle, jake) how can a team be competitive in today's NHL when half the salary are complete write offs - people all over the NHL should be praising how well Canucks are doing with what they got considering half the salary cap is wasted. 

Have you even considered the fact that Hoglander might actually be really good. Maybe they should have started Petey on the 4th line. And Green just doesn’t gift people spots, he’s never ever done that. Also... ah nevermind 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

if only you could follow your own advice, maybe I wouldnt have been "wrong" But in this case I wasn't the only news source about Ferland on the third was JB's stippet on Ferland. they used that as thier source, there was like 5 or 6 tweets after Jim benning's stippet from reputable sources mentioning about he would be placed on the LTIR.

Like correct me if im wrong but if ferland was on LTIR already JB would have mentioned that. GASP HOT TAKE COMING IN, maybe capfriendly jumped the gun. this is taken from thier website "We are constantly on the look out for contract news from credible news outlets, reporters, and insiders" the literal first report of ferland on LTIR was at 3:00 pm pst today way after the fact.

capfriendly does make guesses on roster's during the off season, how else would you explain jack rathbone being on the active roster just a few days ago and now all of a sudden OJ is there. Capfriendly is not a source.

as someone who uses capfriendly quite often the simple explation is that Rathbone is making more money then oj and the way they sort there rosters is money wise in the offseason 

• Like 1

Taxi Squad 

Please let players like Beagle and Ericksson and Benn be on the Taxi Squad. Don’t put our young prospects in there.  Let them play in Utica.   Our Utica team btw is going to be stacked with blue chip prospects.  Looking forward to seeing Lind and Rathbone and Woo light it up. 

• Haha 1

just listened to thomas drances Podcast, 

They were talking about how we will get under the cap and most likely  we will sign Hamonic after Game 1.

turns out we will have to have waive beagle,baertschi,LE,Motte and roussel opening night, to be cap compliant.  For cap administration reasons Rathbone will very likely be on the opening roster.

If You're interested I will Post A couple different likely lineups for opening night and game 2 in the ongoing GM proposal thread

Edited by Petey_BOI

51 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

just listened to thomas drances Podcast, 

turns out we will have to have waive beagle,baertschi,LE,Motte and roussel to be cap compliant.  fFor cap administration reasons Rathbone will very likely be on the opening roster.

Turns out you didn't listen to the podcast?  Didnt hear anything about waiving any of those guys (motte, beagle, roussel).  Other than Hoglander and Schmidt, most of the talk was about maximizing in season LTI...

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Turns out you didn't listen to the podcast?  Didnt hear anything about waiving any of those guys (motte, beagle, roussel).  Other than Hoglander and Schmidt, most of the talk was about maximizing in season LTI...

i listened to all the parts regarding cap. I calculated that all those player's would not be on the opening night roster using basic addition and subtraction and capfriendlys calculator. motte beagle and roussel will be available for game 2.

Edited by Petey_BOI

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Taxi Squad 

Please let players like Beagle and Ericksson and Benn be on the Taxi Squad. Don’t put our young prospects in there.  Let them play in Utica.   Our Utica team btw is going to be stacked with blue chip prospects.  Looking forward to seeing Lind and Rathbone and Woo light it up. 

well good news. it's impossible to fit LE into the lineup barring any massive long term injuries to the roster players. 

6 hours ago, FriendlyCanuck said:

Kindly enlighten me on which top 6 player is paid only $2.5 mil a year? 

Edited by Law of Goalies