The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

First of all, at the 'start of the season', he was still out, recovering from knee surgery and at the start of his season (in December IIRC), besides his first game back where he scored two goals, he had a very slow start. Due, I'm sure, to said knee injury and taking a long time to get back in to playing shape. So I don't know what you think you were watching but it wasn't Roussel lol.

Second, he's just fine defensively. While certainly not what I'd call a 'shut down' player, he's certainly a solid two way player historically. Look at his CF% of 47.6 with only 38.1 oZS% the year prior, playing with better defensive players (in less sheltered conditions). It seems pretty clear he was dragged down by a questionable defensively, Gaudette and Virtanen last year as well as an (understandable) slow recovery from major knee surgery.

He appeared far better (and knee recovered) in the play ins/offs. His tactics against VGK in particular is certainly another debate (though it did seem to keep Reaves attention on him rather than our kids).

He's an elite pest, 2 way, 3rd line W'er with borderline 2nd line offensive production. He's not going to the 4th line.

If we want that line to be better defensively, Gaudette (especially) needs to improve his defensive game (and faceoffs). Or Green will play Sutter there. Virtanen may need to move up or down was well and insert a better 2 way/defensive player there (depending on what Jake really looks like this year).

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Stan Smyl - 5'8 - 185. It's the fight in the dog. Plus, Motte can play. He was a Hobey Baker finalist. For you, or me, or anyone to say that it's absolute, is ridiculous. Give him a shot and let's see how it plays out.

I don't know, motte is not even a elite 4th line scorer. even if you used his playoff numbers of 0.29 P/GP and compared to the top 124 left wingers over the last 2 years. Still, he was  producing 4th line numbers, although they would be elite 4th line numbers. I think he needs to improve on those numbers to show he can handle 2nd line duties.

14 minutes ago, tas said:

debate spurs change, except when it's fans bitching. nothing that is said or done on CDC or any other forum has any bearing on the on-ice product. there is literally no benefit to negativity on a fan forum. 

Negativity is an opinion, you could be thrilled with "how hard the boys played, they tried real hard", and that would be fine. For me I would look and say well they are professionals, they are paid millions of dollars to play a game, and every one in an organization is not paid to be a clown circus, so I would be negative, I would post "they lost 5 - 0" Or they did really really bad this season and look a progression as something that is likely when there isn't much further to go down.

For a total absence of negativity then a Vancouver Booster Club forum should be made into a thread don't you think? Absolutely no negativity and those posters upset with facts, thing like losing 5 to nothing is not good, go there a praise how hard the boys tried

• Vintage 1

Imo Play Baer too trade Baer.

Hes a fine regular season player. Unfortunately im not sure which line he would permently would fit in too tho. Baer and Gaud did have chemistry last season camp. 3rd line scoring could help. Baer also could be used too help rest any of the top 6 winger spots in this compacted season.

Go Team Blue 
Go Team White 

Go Seahawks 

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

tas - This is a forum not a cheer leading squad or Vancouver Booster fan club site. It is a forum, hopefully, for fans that are eager to see a cup win here and can express positive or negative thought and ideas

Again, Hopefully in this forum a concept of wanting to win is the main goal and not utopian idealism of mere participation.

Some poster people will agree with and some not, depending on your particular stance there could be many irritants, say if you think a two point improvement or that 7 years of failure should be forgotten, (you can easily see my angst) and all the dishonesty is one side then there is the other side, the Flow looked good, they tried REAL hard, they lost ANOTHER close one, who cares if other team rebuild faster our way is the only way (7years, two appearances one by a fluke). they look so cute. Have sympathy for those guys making millions of dollars.

You can see there are many points of view with just as many responses. Debate is healthy, it spurs change or improvement, why change if the building is full? Go to the game of to the circus, for some posters and fans there is little difference, a nights entertainment with no thoughts of winning or losing.

FIRE GREEN

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tas said:

debate spurs change, except when it's fans bitching. nothing that is said or done on CDC or any other forum has any bearing on the on-ice product. there is literally no benefit to negativity on a fan forum. 

if we had the worst coach of all time playing for us, but for some reason all we did was praise him online, and clap and applaud after every game. if we filled the stands every night, would the gm be under as much pressure to fire him? don't underestimate the very miniscule shred  of power we have.

or what if the  polar opposite reaction was made by the fans, half empty stands, booing and jeering.  some of those fans are attending the games and this forum.

Edited by Petey_BOI

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You are probably right........there are lots of smarter people than I

But I don't have to be faster than the Bear, just faster than you.........

Pearson......draft 1 round 30th OA...............Motte 4th round 121

Pearson.....6'1" 201 lbs..............Motte 5'10" 192 lbs

Pearson.....103 pts at 24..............Motte 30 pts at 24

Pearson......6 points in 6 games in WJC..........Motte 1 pt in 5 games in WJC

In saying all that, Pearson is a player that is fringe 2 line player, that could easily be out played by a more talented player, who shows better, just like every other player in the NHL, you are just as good as your last game in the NHL, and there is constant pressure from below, so yes, if Pearson does not play well, he will be replaced........

And he could be replaced at the end of his contract by someone internally, as he will be 29 at the end of the season, but it won't be by Motte, and I am willing to bet you, it won't be Motte........it probably will be by Hoglander if anyone on the team, but one never knows, and I don't either.....

But thanks again for pointing out my IQ...........

Pearson is arguably the most valuable player we have.  His empty netters put Loui to shame, correct me if I’m wrong but his empty netters account for almost half his total goal production?  LEGEND!  

19 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

For me I would look and say well they are professionals, they are paid millions of dollars to play a game, and every one in an organization is not paid to be a clown circus, so I would be negative, I would post "they lost 5 - 0" Or they did really really bad this season

and everybody loses. 

58 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Look, you're right. Nothing in life is perfect, period. You have a right to voice your opinion, and so do I. But when someone continually drags it beyond acceptance, that's insane, it becomes overkill, and it crosses the border of reasonable debate, conversation. We are allowed to disagree. That I agree with. 

I am not sure of your opinions over all but to me losing is losing and nothing to be cheered too much about.

This season you will something pretty much buried in the media for a decade or longer, STANDINGS.

So when or if the team is at the top, which is really good, or at the bottom, which is the opposite of good, look at it as cheering one or the other.

Or posting your hopes of what the team might do to change

Or, heaven for bid, post why you think or public information provided, is causing problems, things posted like the cap and contracts or again, player statistics.

Toronto had so many fans wanting tickets that there was no emphasis to improve out side of being in the mushy middle. Look at what happens to teams that start losing fans, somehow they become winners and cup contenders, some don't though. Buffalo and Arizona are often used a "well they are worse then us" examples, but both of those teams have suffered with questionable ownership or many owners. Buffalo has tightened up but are in a super tough division, Arizona has new owners again, I think they do now

Got off track there, opinions are like >>>>> everyone has one.:lol:

8 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

if we had the worst coach of all time playing for us, but for some reason all we did was praise him online, and clap and applaud after every game. if we filled the stands every night, would the gm be under as much pressure to fire him? don't underestimate the very miniscule shred  of power we have.

if you're complaining about it means you're still watching. until the bottom line is bring affected, your voice means nothing. 

5 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Its a well know fact . Fans win games.

i heard it on Fox news so it must be true.

No fans ,no teams, no losses and tell that to the Seahawks or Kansas, they do make a difference.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

and everybody loses. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, tas said:

and everybody loses. 

So you are Hooray, they just lost the 18 game in a row and are now dead last in the division. The latest 13 nothing romp by Edmonton was thrilling to watch as a Canuck fan. But they have done it all wrong them and Toronto both rebuilt their teams wrong, this is the sure way.

But man, they sure tried hard and Boeser looked good with that shot he got.

Everybody loses when nobody cares or they stop caring

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I do too... But for half of what he is currently costing the Canucks in terms of cap space.

but, maybe we can do that in the offseason? buying him out would have been just as bad for cap purposes and trading him for a equal of better player would cost us. i feel we are handcuffed to his cap.

2 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

So you are Hooray, they just lost the 18 game in a row and are now dead last in the division. The latest 13 nothing romp by Edmonton was thrilling to watch as a Canuck fan. But they have done it all wrong them and Toronto both rebuilt their teams wrong, this is the sure way.

But man, they sure tried hard and Boeser looked good with that shot he got.

Everybody loses when nobody cares or they stop caring

see my post right above yours.