The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Stan Smyl - 5'8 - 185. It's the fight in the dog. Plus, Motte can play. He was a Hobey Baker finalist. For you, or me, or anyone to say that it's absolute, is ridiculous. Give him a shot and let's see how it plays out.

I am not saying no......in as much as Green is saying no.......

Until he does, well, I am guessing I am probably righter?

When he gets put there I am wrong.....

Motte does not in any way resemble Smyl

and hey, I respect the guy...you are right, he was a finalist

But so was Gaudette, and look at the people that think he is having trouble

Lets be realistic here

Edited by janisahockeynut

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Back to the camp updates etc would ya :P

Enough of this off topic blathering!

Cheers brotha ;):emot-parrot:

Don't tell me what to do. You wanna go?:P

One of my pet peeves is when someone misrepresents my opinion. I don't like intellectual dishonesty.

I don't take offense as easily as others here and when I am accused of being angry, I am not. I see that as a reflection of the other posters state of mind.

Off topic thread for arguing. Someone should start one. Could be very amusing.

I'm just bored waiting for the Canucks game. scrimmage either way stoked for watching Canucks live again.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I haven't seen any clips so far in scrimmages.. but u think Erkisson offers more to us than Hawryluk?? Wow that's just sad after all the media hype on JB having followed him since 2016.... I know it was such a small sample size but he did show up playing for the Panthers/Senators.

All I am saying is, that until Green and Benning, sit Eriksson, who I don't like....but until they do, or Hawryluk surpasses him........

Well, I guess you know who is right.........and I hope you are right!

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Pearson is arguably the most valuable player we have.  His empty netters put Loui to shame, correct me if I’m wrong but his empty netters account for almost half his total goal production?  LEGEND!  

The reason he has those goals is that Green puts him on the ice at that time.....

Your job Jim, if you accept it, is to ask ........

Why, does Green keep putting Pearson out in those times?

3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Imo Play Baer too trade Baer.

Hes a fine regular season player. Unfortunately im not sure which line he would permently would fit in too tho. Baer and Gaud did have chemistry last season camp. 3rd line scoring could help. Baer also could be used too help rest any of the top 6 winger spots in this compacted season.

Go Team Blue 
Go Team White 

Go Seahawks 

Baer seems to be a great guy, always liked his attitude.. his track record, however, doesn't scream 'fine regular season player'.. career high 35 points and multiple injuries including concussion issues.. it might be in his best interest to retire after this contract.. 

Maybe he'd suit the taxi best this year, maybe that's what you were implying? and as you pointed out - where would he slot in? but in the long run anyway, I think the team has moved past him

• Cheers 1

Motte's a great 4th liner and will eventually get a look higher up the lineup. The difference between mid level teams and top tier teams is a combination of high end skill and depth. We have high end players already, so it makes no sense to give away depth just to play fan favourites in better positions. Because of the schedule, we will get injuries due to the animosity created. Depth is even more important right now. Next season is a long way off, so arguing about potential off season moves is moot at best.

Green looks at all aspects of a player's game and will start the lineup that he feels will give us the best chance to win. Many will disagree. Especially with taxi squad decisions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Motte's a great 4th liner and will eventually get a look higher up the lineup. The difference between mid level teams and top tier teams is a combination of high end skill and depth. We have high end players already, so it makes no sense to give away depth just to play fan favourites in better positions. Because of the schedule, we will get injuries due to the animosity created. Depth is even more important right now. Next season is a long way off, so arguing about potential off season moves is moot at best.

Green looks at all aspects of a player's game and will start the lineup that he feels will give us the best chance to win. Many will disagree. Especially with taxi squad decisions.

Skilled players who can defend, are way more rare than defensive players with skill.

Just now, xereau said:

Motte has a LOT of skill in addition to his ability to grind, is my point.

I concur but if you look on LW we are deep there. Miller, Pearson, Roussel, Motte.

As I said, Green will ice the lineup that he feels will give us the best chance to win. If Motte is moved up, I have no issue with that.

The quality of the roster is shaping into a group of 23 perennial incumbents. That is, there will be 23 of such quality, youth & paid appropriately, that they'll be difficult to dislodge. That's not definite(on all prospects' trajectory)..but I'd say at least even$ that it's trending this way.

Then a franchise enters an elite tier that only a few(perhaps TBay, CAR & COL, say) are at. With enough quality/quantity to perhaps stock 1.5 - 2 competitive NHL teams.

So you've got even more youth coming. What deals will follow, recycling some excess into precise targets, and/or extra future picks?

One aspect stands out for me here. Virtually all 'elite-tier' I mentioned, have been constructed though either/both of extra accumulated picks, or lotto pick success. JB (& Brackett, in fairness) seem to have spun this magic with neither!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad