The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Pierre-Luc Dubois

The offensive upside  and  3 years younger is enough on it's own for me to do this swap.

PLD's face off % went up quite a bit during the playoffs this last year. Perhaps he's getting better, or maybe qoc, I couldn't say.

I haven't heard anything indicating PLD is not a good character guy.

Beagle and Sutter can co fill the 3rd line roll.

2 hours ago, mll said:

It is the base salary of the final season, but at most 120% of the AAV.  The cap was introduced this summer to avoid the Timo Meier, Boeser type of qualifying offers - their QOs are grandfathered.

thanks I missed that one. Thats huge for EP and QH's bridge deals. 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey Jimmy

I want to take you up on that

EP.......2 yr @ 7.00 AVG.............that is a 6.5 1st year and a 7.5 2nd yr

Hughes .....2 yr @ 6.75 AVG......That will be a 6.25 1st yr and a 7.25 2nd yr.

OK what are we betting? I'm saying both are 7.5 or over. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

And I am saying they won't.....

Just a friendly wager

Something like the looser has to send Deb a signed Eriksson Utica hockey card or something like that.....

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

3 year bridges for both, I'd put Hughes at +/-$6 and Pettersson at +/- $7m.

You look at pre Covid comparables and that's where you land. Covid may knock another $500k +/- off of even those. People are worrying far too much IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

It is the base salary of the final season, but at most 120% of the AAV.  The cap was introduced this summer to avoid the Timo Meier, Boeser type of qualifying offers - their QOs are grandfathered.

So those are grandfathered meaning the Canucks have to pay more for Boeser than if the new cap retroactively applied.

But the Luongo rule is retroactively applied so the Canucks have to pay the penalty instead of it being grandfathered to be okay?

How does the NHL decide what stays grandfathered and what is retroactively applied? Whatever punishes teams more?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

So those are grandfathered meaning the Canucks have to pay more for Boeser than if the new cap retroactively applied.

But the Luongo rule is retroactively applied so the Canucks have to pay the penalty instead of it being grandfathered to be okay?

How does the NHL decide what stays grandfathered and what is retroactively applied? Whatever punishes teams more?

I appreciate the sentiment... the Luongo penalty is infuriating on a few levels.

The Boeser situation isn't really all that scary though. Absolute worst case is that he's over paid what, a million +/- for one year?

Meh :bored:

Boeser will likely sign some sort of 4-8 year extension at whatever he's worth at the time based on his performance and the current market (Covid included). His QO isn't really a concern and has no real effect (or concern) on a term deal.

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Boeser, Meier negotiated their contract on the basis that they will have that guaranteed q.o.  Meier even calculates his AAV including it.

Teams were warned that there would be retroactive penalties on those contracts, yet they still decided to file them.  Gillis in an interview after the Canucks got hit by the penalty,  said they were expecting Luongo to go on LTIR to avoid the penalty.  Florida simply had other thoughts.

4 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Simple. 

Does it favour Vancouver? Penalty. 

Does it favour other teams? No Penalty. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, Analyst82 said:

So apparently he's extremely upset with the jackets!! Who knows what happens in two years. 

Apparently, this is true

Aaron Portzline cites colleague Pierre LeBrun yesterday reporting a few NHL clubs were made aware that Pierre-Luc Dubois is looking at a change of scenery after just three seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Dubois and the Jackets yesterday reached an agreement on a two-year, $10 million contract.

Neither general manager Jarmo Kekalainen or Dubois’ agent would comment on the young center’s rumored request for a trade. Portzline cites a source claiming the relationship between Dubois and the organization changed during contract negotiations in the fall.

The Jackets apparently wanted a long-term contract but Dubois sought a short-term deal that would allow management sufficient time to trade him for a return commensurate with his value. It also keeps Dubois from being locked-in long term with the Jackets.

Dubois didn’t sign an offer sheet but Portzline indicates he did speak with other clubs. It was in those discussions that his desire to leave Columbus became clear.

Portzline suggests Kekalainen’s tendency to take a hard line in contract talks with young players has the consequence of damaging the relationship between the two sides. He cites former Jackets Ryan Johansen and Josh Anderson as notable examples.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: We’ll probably learn more in the coming days from various league insiders over Dubois’ situation, especially regarding the teams he spoke with during his contract negotiations. It’s also been suggested Dubois might not have the best relationship with head coach John Tortorella, who has a reputation as a tough-minded bench boss.

Whatever the reason, Dubois could become a subject of interest in the rumor mill over the course of this season. If there is friction between the center and Kekalainen and/or Tortorella, it could result in his departure via trade this year or next for a player of equal or potentially better value.

Kekalainen could make a one-for-one deal involving Dubois. He shipped Johansen to Nashville for defenseman Seth Jones in a move that proved to be a winner for the Jackets. Anderson was dealt in October to Montreal for Max Domi. Time will tell which club got the better of that move.

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2021/01/nhl-rumor-mill-january-1-2021/

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

And I am saying they won't.....

Just a friendly wager

Something like the looser has to send Deb a signed Eriksson Utica hockey card or something like that.....

OK sounds good, @debluvscanucks ends up with something signed from Loui. But is that really something she wants :lol:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

3 year bridges for both, I'd put Hughes at +/-$6 and Pettersson at +/- $7m.

You look at pre Covid comparables and that's where you land. Covid may knock another $500k +/- off of even those. People are worrying far too much IMO.

I could see a larger number if Petey e.g. wanted to go the full 8 years, and I'd be just fine with that.

I just figure 7.5 because of their obvious talent, the higher cost to stay in Canada, and Jim has to be worth at least 500k in overpayments, rite? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I could see a larger number if Petey e.g. wanted to go the full 8 years, and I'd be just fine with that.

I just figure 7.5 because of their obvious talent, the higher cost to stay in Canada, and Jim has to be worth at least 500k in overpayments, rite? 

Sure either would be larger at 8 years. I doubt either side will interested in that though. The team needs the lower dollar bridge to finish clearing out Eriksson, Luongo crap re-crapture etc. And the players (agents) will have no interest signing their 'big' deal at the peak of Covid cap and high escrow. 

Their obvious talent already has pre Covid comparables at lower than that, so no. And no, Jim is not worth an extra $500k. Have you seen our RFA signings?

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure either would be larger at 8 years. I doubt either side will interested in that though. The team needs the lower dollar bridge to finish clearing out Eriksson, Luongo crap re-crapture etc. And the players (agents) will have no interest signing their 'big' deal at the peak of Covid cap and high escrow. 

Their obvious talent already has pre Covid comparables at lower than that, so no. And no, Jim is not worth an extra $500k. Have you seen our RFA signings?

sure but we're coming out the other side of covid, so I do think that will see a slight bump up. But we shall see. I guess I might want to start looking for signed Loui swag in the meantime. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but we're coming out the other side of covid, so I do think that will see a slight bump up. But we shall see. I guess I might want to start looking for signed Loui swag in the meantime. 

The league has lost tonnes of money is continuing to bleed money and is projecting a flat cap for like 5 years with the players owing owners millions. Just because we some light at the end of the actual Covid virus tunnel doesn't mean economics won't still have repercussions for years moving forward.

There will be very little 'bumping' for at least 3 years IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

not sure why he's being compared to Horvat.

they're not really comparable aside from appearing to be "power centers".

Dubois leads the CBJ in ozone starts 61.9 in the regular season and 64.3% in the  playoffs.

Not particularly good 'possession' numbers in that context - 50.9 in reg., 49.0% in the playoffs - but to be 'expected' with a young center (not unlike EP's numbers, particularly before the arrival of Miller).

44.6% faceoff guy.

Also lead all CBJ forwards in powerplay ice time (no pk duties).

Not really comparable usage/deployment to Horvat - at any stage - at all.

Probably would not call him a "200ft" center - at least not yet - he's still quite young and deployed accordingly.

In that sense, not sure why he'd have any issues with his role - but a rift with Tortorella could potentially take various forms I suppose....

I think Horvat was the better, more complete player at age 21 (which is not to say that Dubois can't improve the 'completeness' of his game.

• Haha 1