The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Pierre-Luc Dubois

20 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

And I am saying they won't.....

Just a friendly wager

Something like the looser has to send Deb a signed Eriksson Utica hockey card or something like that.....

How do you confirm who is looser though? One of you might be clenching!!!

• Vintage 1

On 12/31/2020 at 12:27 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

6.65 mil QO in two years, that should be a no-brainer. 

Both EP and Hughes will sign for more than this tho, I'd be surprised if either are under 7.5 AAV. 

I'll take you up on that as well.  

Hughes will be 6 mil per, for 3 years.  

EP will be 7 mil per, for 3 years. 

24 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

@Jimmy McGill if I'm wrong, you can choose my sig for the entire off-season. 

man you're really upping the ante here :lol: OK you get to chose a 2nd signed player item for Deb too (within reason).

I'm capping this at two bets before this gets out of hand. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The league has lost tonnes of money is continuing to bleed money and is projecting a flat cap for like 5 years with the players owing owners millions. Just because we some light at the end of the actual Covid virus tunnel doesn't mean economics won't still have repercussions for years moving forward.

There will be very little 'bumping' for at least 3 years IMO.

league yes, but there will be variability between markets. We'll see what the tv deal ends up being too. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

league yes, but there will be variability between markets. We'll see what the tv deal ends up being too. 

Not really. Short of the occasional outliers and a few places like EDM or WPG who tend to need to overpay to attract/keep guys, or contenders etc who attract guys for flight discounts, comparable players are paid pretty comparably.

Any 'variability' tends to be more from location/competitiveness standpoint, neither of which are likely to negatively effect either contract for the Canucks in the near future.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not really. Short of the occasional outliers and a few places like EDM or WPG who tend to need to overpay to attract/keep guys, or contenders etc who attract guys for flight discounts, comparable players are paid pretty comparably.

Any 'variability' tends to be more from location/competitiveness standpoint, neither of which are likely to negatively effect either contract for the Canucks in the near future.

I've always found competitiveness to be the biggest difference maker.  I think we should be good as long as we don't take a major step back this season (possible, given that we're playing in the tough Canadian division). 

On 1/1/2021 at 2:29 PM, aGENT said:

The league has lost tonnes of money is continuing to bleed money and is projecting a flat cap for like 5 years with the players owing owners millions. Just because we some light at the end of the actual Covid virus tunnel doesn't mean economics won't still have repercussions for years moving forward.

There will be very little 'bumping' for at least 3 years IMO.

All of this except change millions to billions...

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

ugh i'd love to have PLD on the squad, but wonder how much it would take.

More then we have. I was deviated when we didn't get him in the draft. I was so sure he was our choice at 5 and didn't predict the jackets taking a flyer on him early. I still think he in one of the better young players in the league, but I don't see how we have the right pieces to acquire him.

• Cheers 1

Just now, shayster007 said:

More then we have. I was deviated when we didn't get him in the draft. I was so sure he was our choice at 5 and didn't predict the jackets taking a flyer on him early. I still think he in one of the better young players in the league, but I don't see how we have the right pieces to acquire him.

Might be able to get him for Boeser+ (though I'm guessing they'll want a C coming back).

Move EP to wing and roll with Miller, PLD, EP as a first line... Would be pretty nice lol

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Might be able to get him for Boeser+ (though I'm guessing they'll want a C coming back).

Move EP to wing and roll with Miller, PLD, EP as a first line... Would be pretty nice lol

Yeah, I think they would as well. But the package around Boeser is probably a 1st and a prospect. That's far more then we have to give up. I'm just hoping he goes to a team that I can cheer for, not the Bruins.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Yeah, I think they would as well. But the package around Boeser is probably a 1st and a prospect. That's far more then we have to give up. I'm just hoping he goes to a team that I can cheer for, not the Bruins.

If I was MIN, I'd go HARD after him personally.

• Cheers 1

I wonder if Montreal would have any interest in Dubois.

They've got a lot of forward depth, they're great down the middle but Dubois would be a really marketable player to that Montreal fan base. If they don't want to play him down the Middle they could move him to the wing and make him a solid powerforward to play with a guy like Suzuki. I find the way Bergevin has re-tooled in Montreal to be very impressive with valuable vets like Weber and Price showing the youngsters the way. All Montreal needs to do now is to rebuild their backend. Once they do that, they'll be a powerhouse for a while. 

23 hours ago, shayster007 said:

This was what was so frustrating about the 2016 draft. We got screwed on the draft lotto and WPG getting the #2 OA which was of course Laine. All the while we were statistically the 2nd worst team in the league that year and got bumped to 5th. Ok I accepted that and was also convinced we would land PLD. I thought CBJ would’ve picked PoolParty and EDM would’ve picked OJ. When it came to us I thought we were going to pick either Chucky or OJ but at the time I was upset we didn’t pick Chucky. Many would say they would still pick MT7 but I wouldn’t want that $&!¥ on our team. I totally hear you on how you feel/felt

995F4AB4-4F46-41D9-BE1F-2F46E1DC2916.gif

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

This was what was so frustrating about the 2016 draft. We got screwed on the draft lotto and WPG getting the #2 OA which was of course Laine. All the while we were statistically the 2nd worst team in the league that year and got bumped to 5th. Ok I accepted that and was also convinced we would land PLD. I thought CBJ would’ve picked PoolParty and EDM would’ve picked OJ. When it came to us I thought we were going to pick either Chucky or OJ but at the time I was upset we didn’t pick Chucky. Many would say they would still pick MT7 but I wouldn’t want that $&!¥ on our team. I totally hear you on how you feel/felt

995F4AB4-4F46-41D9-BE1F-2F46E1DC2916.gif

Things just work out the way they do. Say we did get Dubois, do we draft Pettersson in the following draft? Say we do with the intention of playing him on wing, do we make the trade for JT Miller? Plus the rumour was if Dubois landed on our pick, we may have dealt the pick to Montreal in a deal revolving around Subban potentially, so how would've that affected us as a team and cap-wise?

Or say we got the #2 pick, would we really love Laine that much or would we grow tired of his lazy play (despite his production) and attitude? Looks like he's after a massive contract and who knows how he performs if he gets that.