The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Pierre-Luc Dubois

On 1/8/2021 at 8:47 PM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Dubois is younger.

dubois is 3 inches taller for 3 lbs heavier than horvat, so i’d say Horvat is « bigger ».

horvat is a better skater.

horvat is a better leader. 
horvat can carry the play.

horvat never had Panarin on his line feeding him points. 

Dubois is an excellent player, but the debate Horvat vs Dubois is much more complex than you’re making it out to be. 

Sorry man, nothing complex here. Horvat is one amazing player, is he even a bonafide 1st line center? May be.

Dubois on the other hand is a special player. For the next 5-8 years, looking more and more like his career is going to track like Toews when he was young. 

Tortorella talks of Dubois wanting out.

https://www.nhl.com/news/pierre-luc-dubois-columbus-blue-jackets-status/c-320246932

Pierre-Luc Dubois wants to leave the Columbus Blue Jackets, coach John Tortorella said Wednesday.

"Yeah, he wants out," Tortorella told "Rothman and Ice" on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus. "He spoke to the team, as we do here. It's a little bit different than [Artemi Panarin] and [Sergei Bobrovsky] were. This is a 22-year-old kid. It doesn't happen that often, so he has been honest with the group. I wish he was a little bit more honest as far as reasons why. I still haven't really gotten to that, but I think he needs to speak on that. I won't."

The Blue Jackets open their season at the Nashville Predators on Thursday (8 p.m. ET; FS-TN, FS-O, NHL.TV).

Dubois, a center who was a restricted free agent, signed a two-year, $10 million contract (average annual value $5 million) with Columbus on Dec. 31. The Athletic reported Dubois "may be looking for a change of scenery," but he did not confirm that when he reported to training camp.

"[Dubois] has had a good camp, but it's a short leash with me as far as this is concerned," Tortorella said. "He needs to continue to do the things to help this team win and be the best teammate he can be, or I'm not sure where it goes. It's a situation, and we'll go to it day by day."

When the Blue Jackets opened training camp Jan. 3, Tortorella said Columbus would handle Dubois the same way it did when Panarin and Bobrovsky were in the final season of their respective contracts in 2018-19. Panarin signed a seven-year contract with the New York Rangers, and Bobrovsky signed a seven-year contract with the Florida Panthers, each on July 1, 2019.

General manager Jarmo Kekalainen has not said whether the Blue Jackets would trade Dubois, who led Columbus with 49 points (18 goals, 31 assists) in 70 games last season. When Tortorella was asked about the coach-player relationship, he said he didn't know how Dubois felt while acknowledging he has had some conflict with the No. 3 pick in the 2016 NHL Draft since he made his NHL debut in the 2017-18 season.

"I look at conflict differently … everybody gets all excited about arguments and this and that, what happened on the bench," Tortorella said. "I think it's so healthy because then I think you have the two individuals in the middle of that being honest with one another. And I think that that's a really good thing in developing a hockey player.

"Now 'Luc' may not think that. Sometimes these players, especially today's athletes, think, 'You're too hard on me, you're picking on me,' and this and that. Maybe it's too hard for him. I don't know. I haven't been given a reason why he wants to leave. He certainly hasn't said it to me that 'I don't want to play for you.'

"I think if that's the reason he should tell me, and he should really basically get in front of it and get up out of here. That's just the way I think you should do business in this stuff here. There's no sense of people trying to figure out what's going on. Let's get in front of it here and get about our business and try to be the best team we can be."

Dubois led the Blue Jackets with 10 points (four goals, six assists) in 10 Stanley Cup Playoff games last season, which ended with a five-game loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Eastern Conference First Round. He has scored 158 points (65 goals, 93 assists) in 234 regular-season games and 19 points (eight goals, 11 assists) in 26 playoff games.

"It's very difficult to me when a guy doesn't want to be here at such a young age and the amount of time we've poured into him to try to develop him and is just looking to go," Tortorella said. "It's hard for me. I'm not sure where it goes with me as the season gets going, I'll be quite honest with you, because I want to spend my time developing the people that want to be here, but I still have to coach the hockey team to be the best it can be." 

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Sorry man, nothing complex here. Horvat is one amazing player, is he even a bonafide 1st line center? May be.

Dubois on the other hand is a special player. For the next 5-8 years, looking more and more like his career is going to track like Toews when he was young. 

Horvat is a leader and provides the x-factor for the team.  

Dubois is demanding a trade for no apparent reason other then not wanting to be in Columbus.  Much better player then Horvat, but I'd rather keep on trucking with our guys and not give up the king's ransom that it would take to get PLD. 

Any team would be nuts not to kick the tires on this kid.    This is one player worth risking future draft picks on.   Given the youth the Canucks have, this is worth at least one first round unprotected pick plus one grade A prospect and a roster player not named Hughes, Horvat, Boeser or Pettersson.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Wadr to Tortorella, what a crock of shat response. 

'I think conflict is great....two people being honest....'

Tortorella creeping back to the coach he was when he needed to reform to earn another shot at the NHL level?

Too thick/obstinate to realize that him going on his public/bench tirades, yelling, ranting, throwing his fn pointy little finger in players faces (as he's done many times with Dubois) - one thing you never see is a player yelling in his face, "being honest" in kind.  Put Leipsic on that and call it "honesty" all you want Torts - no wonder you're oblivious to why certain players can't stand you.   Ballbusting tirades don't necessarily 'work' on all players, period (if any).  You tried that shizz over and over -  with guys like Jannick Hansen of all people - Scott Hartnell....and wtf were you expecting the result to be?

Anyhow - if he hasn't learned yet, he's unlikely to.

Is Tortorella the coach worth it?   I don't think so.  I'd probably fire him before trading yet another player at this point.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Horvat has had a career so far of linemates such as Kenins, Baertschi, Eriksson, Sutter, Dorsett, Hansen and Burrows, most of which were on the backside of their careers. Dubois has had Atkinson, Panarin, Anderson etc....

He's a hell of a player, but Bo Horvat showed last summer why he's an up and coming star, and an excellent leader to boot. When you look at how Horvat handled being on a bottom-feeder vs how Dubois is handling it right now....

I'll keep Horvat every single time

• Cheers 4

49 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Wadr to Tortorella, what a crock of shat response. 

'I think conflict is great....two people being honest....'

Tortorella creeping back to the coach he was when he needed to reform to earn another shot at the NHL level?

Too thick/obstinate to realize that him going on his public/bench tirades, yelling, ranting, throwing his fn pointy little finger in players faces (as he's done many times with Dubois) - one thing you never see is a player yelling in his face, "being honest" in kind.  Put Leipsic on that and call it "honesty" all you want Torts - no wonder you're oblivious to why certain players can't stand you.   Ballbusting tirades don't necessarily 'work' on all players, period (if any).  You tried that shizz over and over -  with guys like Jannick Hansen of all people - Scott Hartnell....and wtf were you expecting the result to be?

Anyhow - if he hasn't learned yet, he's unlikely to.

Is Tortorella the coach worth it?   I don't think so.  I'd probably fire him before trading yet another player at this point.

I'd definitely fire him.  Luckily there's a similar quality and age player in Laine who also wouldn't mind being moved, but given Torts' history I don't blame Dubois at all.  Reminds me a lot of Keenan vs. Naslund, and we can all thank Burke for that turning out the way it did.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sorry - 'nothing complex' isn't cutting it / a one-liner about '1st/2nd' line centers.

And the Toews "when he was young" comparable is just not a good one.

Dubois is not even close to comparable.

Jonathon Toews, age 21.

Captain of the Stanley Cup Champions.

25 goals, 68 pts, +22

Lead all Hawks forwards in ice time.

60.7% ozone starts, 59.7% corsi

57.3% faceoff guy - 800+ wins.

69 takeaways, +45 differential.

Primary/secondary penalty killer.

Dubois at 21

18g, 49 pts, -2

4th among CBJ forwards in ice time.

61.9% ozone starts, 50.9% corsi

44.6% faceoffs

27 takeaways, 46 giveaways (-19)

Lead the GBJ forwards in powerplay minutes, but not a penalty killer - nowhere near as versatile player as Toews.

Yeah - Dubois has a 'tantalizing' skillset - with size and speed - but if we're real here, he's nowhere near "Toews when he was young."

Ya, Dubois has a veteran Cup winning support team around him and Kane on his wing too which makes it more obvious this kid isn't in the class.   Plus, we know stats are everything.   How dare such a comparison be made by many hockey people.   :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sorry - 'nothing complex' isn't cutting it / a one-liner about '1st/2nd' line centers.

And the Toews "when he was young" comparable is just not a good one.

Dubois is not even close to comparable.

Jonathon Toews, age 21.

Captain of the Stanley Cup Champions.

25 goals, 68 pts, +22

Lead all Hawks forwards in ice time.

60.7% ozone starts, 59.7% corsi

57.3% faceoff guy - 800+ wins.

69 takeaways, +45 differential.

Primary/secondary penalty killer.

Dubois at 21

18g, 49 pts, -2

4th among CBJ forwards in ice time.

61.9% ozone starts, 50.9% corsi

44.6% faceoffs

27 takeaways, 46 giveaways (-19)

Lead the GBJ forwards in powerplay minutes, but not a penalty killer - nowhere near as versatile player as Toews.

Yeah - Dubois has a 'tantalizing' skillset - with size and speed - but if we're real here, he's nowhere near "Toews when he was young."

Yeah I don't get how Dubois is anywhere near Toews.  Toews is almost like the best of Horvat and Dubois merged together.  Dubois is a great player, but some people are putting him way too high on the pedestal when he hasn't proven anything without Panarin (who is arguably one of the best players in the game right now).

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, Dubois has a veteran Cup winning support team around him and Kane on his wing too which makes it more obvious this kid isn't in the class.   Plus, we know stats are everything.   How dare such a comparison be made by many hockey people.   :rolleyes:

The more I see your posts the more I realize u don't have a lot of hockey knowledge lol... Just an FYI, Toews did not play on the same line as Kane for most of his career...

https://thehockeywriters.com/time-for-kane-toews-to-unite/#:~:text=Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews,play on the same line.

Toews is one of the best all around forwards to play the game.  He literally does it all and does it well.  He's a leader, offensively capable, defensively sound, good faceoff man, good penalty killer, good on the PP, etc.

Who has ever compared Dubois with Toews? They're not even the same type of player... :huh:

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

The more I see your posts the more I realize u don't have a lot of hockey knowledge lol...

What most of my coaches did and what clients now say too.   Sure you are not my agent in disguise?

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Who has ever compared Dubois with Toews?

Some people above who used it to make a point that PLD was not up to speed as a 21 year old.  I disagree, this kid has a tremendous ceiling but the joker who made the comparison rarely makes sense so I simply like having fun with him   I personally think Toews is a tremendous player/leader and HHOF lock who in no way should be compared to PLD as entirely different type of player.    

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What most of my coaches did and what clients now say too.   Sure you are not my agent in disguise?

Some people above who used it to make a point that PLD was not up to speed as a 21 year old.  I disagree, this kid has a tremendous ceiling but the joker who made the comparison rarely makes sense so I simply like having fun with him   I personally think Toews is a tremendous player/leader and HHOF lock who in no way should be compared to PLD as entirely different type of player.    

Oh ok, at least you're not totally nuts... Lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

you don't know what you're talking about - as usual.  your attempts to use weak sarcasm as a substitution only underline that.

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

you don't know what you're talking about - as usual.  your attempts to use weak sarcasm as a substitution only underline that.

You are gold.   Keep at it.     Entertainment value these days is hard to find - you provide it well.   Cheers and thanks!    :)

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Some people above who used it to make a point that PLD was not up to speed as a 21 year old.  I disagree, this kid has a tremendous ceiling  

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Oh ok, at least you're not totally nuts... Lol

I wouldn't be sure of that.

Amid the ingenuous self-depracation - he actually doubled down to repeat that he disagrees with the idea PLD was not up to Toews speed at comparable stages (age 21) - but all he's got to 'qualify' that absurdity is a two word hail Mary about a 'tremendous ceiling'.

It's classic Zepp. 

His ego gets so wounded when you disagree with him that he'll follow you around and emoji 20 posts like a teenager that felt he was scorned.

All in good fun though / a day on CDC lol

• Wat 1