The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Pierre-Luc Dubois

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I wouldn't be sure of that.

Amid the ingenuous self-depracation - he actually doubled down to repeat that he disagrees with the idea PLD was not up to Toews speed at comparable stages (age 21) - but all he's got to 'qualify' that absurdity is a two word hail Mary about a 'tremendous ceiling'.

It's classic Zepp. 

His ego gets so wounded when you disagree with him that he'll follow you around and emoji 20 posts like a teenager that felt he was scorned.

All in good fun though / a day on CDC lol

Up to speed now equals up to Toews speed.   Cool, will remember that moving forward.   You are both entertaining and now have offered a new dictionary.

Toews, as I stated above, is a HHOF talent and very player style compare to PLD.   PLD is an outstanding talent and to try and diminish him through a trollish compare on stats from a veteran cup winning team with a generational winger with Toews to the stats for PLD was disingenuous.    You seem to dislike being called on your BS troll work whilst offering up comedic brilliance.   Please don't stop either, highly entertaining.      :)

So Torts, a 62 year old coach is upset that PLD, a 22 year old hockey player, won't talk to him in a "man to man" conversation.

40 years age and a lot of power differential, but Torts is calling out the kid.

Stay Classy Johnny.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

So Torts, a 62 year old coach is upset that PLD, a 22 year old hockey player, won't talk to him in a "man to man" conversation.

40 years age and a lot of power differential, but Torts is calling out the kid.

Stay Classy Johnny.

Dubois is (I'm guessing here) wise enough at 22 to know when not to waste his time/words on a cement head that will in all likelihood never change?

I'm sure Torts would listen intently if they did have that "conversation".

I respect Dubois for recognizing when he's reached his limit - and making the hard decision to move on.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Heard Montreal interested but not willling to include Suzuki, If I was montreal Suzuki would defintely be available for a stud french Canadian center that is hard to play against. 

The problem for the Canadian teams is still the quarantine.  Not only would it be Suzuki, but it would mean neither for about 8 games.  

Saw the 'network' coverage of this / update last night - and there was no shortage of footage of Tortorella railing on Dubois repeatedly.

With Tortorella wondering what Dubois disagrees with, as if he hasn't been 'honest' with him.

Pretty dense play by Torts, really.

I wonder what the 'kid' could possibly have a problem with?

But beyond his target - what do the players on his bench think, as Tortorella rips into a team-mate - ie as he did with Hansen?   I can only imagine how many have had to fight/repress the urge to get up and 'ask him if he'd like to drop the gloves'.  I recall one Canuck recounting a story of walking into his office and doing exactly that.  How many guys that have played for him felt the same?   What does that actually do 'for' a 'team'?  I think he's probably fortunate that not many of those guys have taken him up on the 'conversation' and Radulov'd him. 

Sprinkled in some 'I've/we've spent so much time and effort developing him'....  As if Torts is the guy that is going to take the loss - and as if the CBJ are not going to get asset value back for him.

Disappointing really - because Tortorella seemed to 'get it' upon his departure from here - that he'd earned it.  But he's sunken back into habit of ballbusting his players.  Personally, I wouldn't want my players getting used to being treated / submitted like a rented mule like that - quite the opposite.

17 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Horvat has had a career so far of linemates such as Kenins, Baertschi, Eriksson, Sutter, Dorsett, Hansen and Burrows, most of which were on the backside of their careers. Dubois has had Atkinson, Panarin, Anderson etc....

He's a hell of a player, but Bo Horvat showed last summer why he's an up and coming star, and an excellent leader to boot. When you look at how Horvat handled being on a bottom-feeder vs how Dubois is handling it right now....

I'll keep Horvat every single time

How about this: I think they're both good. Perhaps even very similar players.

Because Dubois is younger, his career path's obviously going to have more speculation. We've seen what Horvat has become but we don't know what Dubois will be like at the same age as of yet. @Drakrami is definately jumping the gun by saying he'll be like Toews and I'd argue he's overvaluing Dubois just like we often over valuate our own players. However, there is obviously going to be that chance with Dubois as well.

That being said, trading Horvat for Dubois I don't see as making sense for us simply for the fact that with Horvat we have that bonafide leader and we know what have. With Dubois, since he is younger and we don't know how good he'll become, he could be a side step or he could become someone better than Horvat, but we don't know. Therefore, I don't see how it would make sense to break up the team chemistry just to get a player who may or may not end up being better than Horvat.

Does that sound more fair? Horvat's good. Drakrami's putting on high expectations for Dubois and we simply don't know who will be better in the end, if one ends up being better than the other even. ;)

59 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Because Dubois is younger, his career path's obviously going to have more speculation. We've seen what Horvat has become but we don't know what Dubois will be like at the same age as of yet. @Drakrami is definately jumping the gun by saying he'll be like Toews and I'd argue he's overvaluing Dubois just like we often over valuate our own players. However, there is obviously going to be that chance with Dubois as well.

That being said, trading Horvat for Dubois I don't see as making sense for us simply for the fact that with Horvat we have that bonafide leader and we know what have. With Dubois, since he is younger and we don't know how good he'll become, he could be a side step or he could become someone better than Horvat, but we don't know. Therefore, I don't see how it would make sense to break up the team chemistry just to get a player who may or may not end up being better than Horvat.

Does that sound more fair? Horvat's good. Drakrami's putting on high expectations for Dubois and we simply don't know who will be better in the end, if one ends up being better than the other even. ;)

Yeah that sounds absolutely better and much closer to my point as well. Dubois is excellent, but there’s no way I’m trading him 1 for 1 for Horvat, and that’s more a compliment to Bo than a sleight at PLD

• Cheers 1

Thinking about pld in our top 6 makes me drool, Dubois and Jenner for Boeser, Podkolzin, virtanen and a 1st I know it’s a lot but a player like this is what puts you over the top in the playoffs, having dubois or Horvat on the ice vs mcdavid and draistle at all times 

miller Dubois petey

Jenner horvat Pearson 

On 1/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, BCNeil said:

The problem for the Canadian teams is still the quarantine.  Not only would it be Suzuki, but it would mean neither for about 8 games.  

better to think longer term with the idea of trading for Dubois

On 1/14/2021 at 5:57 PM, The Lock said:

Team leaders, JT Miller, Pety or Hughs?  Plenty of team leaders on this team. Dubois has a higher ceiling than Bo and at 6ft 3inch 220lbs at 22 yrs old physical player, wow, how do you not think about that. And also lets remeber JB wanted Dubios at the draft so heres his chance to snag him and also loose the only memory of Mike Gillis. All said I love Bo, but this move would be a hockey trade and about the long term success of the team

55 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Team leaders, JT Miller, Pety or Hughs?  Plenty of team leaders on this team. Dubois has a higher ceiling than Bo and at 6ft 3inch 220lbs at 22 yrs old physical player, wow, how do you not think about that. And also lets remeber JB wanted Dubios at the draft so heres his chance to snag him and also loose the only memory of Mike Gillis. All said I love Bo, but this move would be a hockey trade and about the long term success of the team

But if you keep doing long term decisions, you'll never become a good team. Your team will always have potential, but it'll never reach it since you're constantly trading your players for other players with potential.

Horvat has chemistry on this team. You can't tell me we're guaranteed that with Dubois (well you can but it wouldn't be necessarily true). I know you're high on Dubois and that's fine, but I'm not so high on making trades just for the sake of making trades, and yes, this would be one of those types of trade in my opinion. I don't care about ceilings. I care about having a good team. Keeping Horvat is more insurance of that than trading him for Dubois.

From a trade value and return perspective (fair for both sides), I see is Patrick Laine for Pierre Luc Dubois. Of course, there is the added complexity of crossing the border and 2 week quarantine. Also not sure if either player would be happy to sign extension in the traded city, and those questions would surely have to be answered before either team pulls the trigger.

What about Barzal for Dubois? Or maybe Konecny if the Flyers wanted to get bigger. I'd imagine CBJ have to add on that one.