The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) A trade that might make sense.

One thing that's been discussed, at length, in the past is the reliance on Bo Horvat in too many defensive situations to really allow him to flourish offensively.

This, imo, is due to the lack of a quality, two-way center behind him.

Gaudette is on his way to becoming a good center but is more of an offensive center then a two-way pivot.

I really like Gaud but his talents seem more suited to a top two center then a depth one.

So, it is with heavy heart that I submit the following proposal.

Adam Gaudette, Jake Virtanen, to Philly for Scott Laughton and their 2nd rounder 2021

This deal serves two purposes.

First, it gives us a really solid two-way center to follow Bo and provide security at the position. He's a good 3C who's going to get his share of points and provide a gritty element at the position. At 53% last season, he's solid in the face-off dot too.

Second, it saves us about 1.2 million in cap space for the upcoming season.

The second round pick serves as a balancer in the deal. I would rather attach a Baertschi to the deal but their cap space is limited too.

With Patrick's uncertain future, Gaudette is a, more then suitable, healthy replacement. His play has shown he has a lot of upside and may have another level to tap into.

Jake's been an enigmatic player who's really had a bumpy road but has enough upside to provide depth to the right team. With Philly's core aging, Virtanen gets a bit more maturation time. A new start may also give him the bump he needs to fully realize his potential.

Pettersson

Horvat

Laughton

Beagle

Could be a pretty solid center core

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

People are underrating Virtanen/Gaudette a bit too much for the production they bring to the team. This is trading away 78 points combined, Laughton sure won't provide that. And if we are gunning for a cup run, we can't afford that either. 

I think the same could be said about your reply.

Imo, you underrate what we're getting back.

The whole point to this deal is to relieve Bo of a lot of his defensive zone starts, allowing him to play more in the offensive zone.

More offensive zone starts equals more points, making our top-six much more potent.

Add to this, the fact that Laughton is a more complete player then Gaudette, at this point and I believe our lineup is a much more cohesive group and is better prepared for a deeper playoff run in the near future.

• Cheers 2

That trade doesn't make sense. The current core is closer to their peak than they are away from it and trading two core players in a trade that includes a second round pick that MIGHT turn out to be a good one a few years down the road makes no sense. The team needs tweaking at this point.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the sentiment that Gaudette has to show more. I didn't see as much as I would have liked from him this past year in all honesty. If the right deal came along I would move him for an upgrade. Including Virtanen is probably too much though, we can sign a 3C fairly easily in FA. 

Laughton is the best player in the deal but I don't see how this would benefit either team.

We're in a position where we are still developing players and Philly is in it to win. I don't think they want to risk having to maybe shelter them when Laughton doesn't really need to be and can play C. Meanwhile we're gonna be bringing in more youngsters and have less expectations to compete than Philly next year.

I also don't think Philly can handle adding 2 more contracts needing eventual raises with some big names needing to be re-signed within the next 2 years.

• Cheers 1

I don't know enough about Laughton (late, youngish 1st round pick who seems to have started scoring more last season) to make a judgment on his value.  That being said, if OP is accurate in his assessment of him, and if Philly would do it (Gaudette and a pick?) then I would make the trade (presuming Ferland goes on LTIR).  Regarding needing to shelter them I think that's fine, when they have a Selke caliber guy at the top in Couturier I think they can afford to shelter scoring centers like Gaudette.  

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

People are underrating Virtanen/Gaudette a bit too much for the production they bring to the team. This is trading away 78 points combined, Laughton sure won't provide that. And if we are gunning for a cup run, we can't afford that either. 

I think this will be a big year for both Virtanen ad Gaudette, they are going to get real good looks in elevated roles.  If they don't produce, maybe you look to move the to fill other wholes after the season, but both have too much upside to deal at this stage.

• Upvote 1

I think we do need a stronger 3C, whether thats Gaudette developing into that role or someone else. 

Not sure we need to trade for it tho, as there are a number of veteran C's coming up as UFAs next year that should be had on a bargain again due to all the covid losses and we should have cap space for an add like this. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure I'm on board with the theory Bo will become a point scoring phenome if he gets a 2 way center on the third line. You'd think you would have seen some indication of that when Sutter centered the third line.

And you're already getting more than double the amount of points from the guys you want to trade away than the guy you'd be getting - supposedly to get more points - from Bo.

And speaking of Sutter, wasn't he supposed to be the center who was going to solve all our problems? We gave Pittsburgh a center who went on to help the Penguins win a Stanley cup, plus a second rounder so we must have thought something was there.

How sure are we Laughton wouldn't be another Sutter when he got here? Certain enough to trade away two prospects that nobody knows how good they are yet? We already have Sutter.

• Cheers 1

Not sure either Virtanen or Gaudette would crack the top 9 in Philly.  Laughton is already an established veteran and they need him for their cup run.  They don't need Gaudette or Virtanen.  Hopefully we don't need Virtanen either once Podkolzin and Lind join the big club.  As for Gaudette, love his offensive game and his desire, but not sure he is a long term solution at 3C.  

10 hours ago, John_Guest said:

I'm not sure I'm on board with the theory Bo will become a point scoring phenome if he gets a 2 way center on the third line. You'd think you would have seen some indication of that when Sutter centered the third line.

And you're already getting more than double the amount of points from the guys you want to trade away than the guy you'd be getting - supposedly to get more points - from Bo.

And speaking of Sutter, wasn't he supposed to be the center who was going to solve all our problems? We gave Pittsburgh a center who went on to help the Penguins win a Stanley cup, plus a second rounder so we must have thought something was there.

How sure are we Laughton wouldn't be another Sutter when he got here? Certain enough to trade away two prospects that nobody knows how good they are yet? We already have Sutter.

Pens were looking to create cap space & Sutter was the unfortunate person selected by the Pens to do that.  It wasn’t so much a knock against the player but rather a desire to give them cap flexibility while getting at least some kind of center in return.  They were fortunate in that Bonino & Kassel fit so well together for a period of time.  Same thing will happen if McCann gets ‘too expensive’.  Their philosophy is to build around their core (while they are still available to play at a high level) and change the supporting cast if required.  You don’t see them handing out a long term contract for $6 million a year to the likes of a Loui Erickson.

On 12/31/2020 at 3:06 PM, komodo0921 said:

One thing that's been discussed, at length, in the past is the reliance on Bo Horvat in too many defensive situations to really allow him to flourish offensively.

Gaudette is on his way to becoming a good center but is more of an offensive center then a two-way pivot.

I really like Gaud but his talents seem more suited to a top two center then a depth one.

Adam Gaudette, Jake Virtanen, to Philly for Scott Laughton and their 2nd rounder 2021

First, it gives us a really solid two-way center to follow Bo and provide security at the position. He's a good 3C who's going to get his share of points and provide a gritty element at the position. At 53% last season, he's solid in the face-off dot too.

The second round pick serves as a balancer in the deal. I would rather attach a Baertschi to the deal but their cap space is limited too.

With Patrick's uncertain future, Gaudette is a, more then suitable, healthy replacement. His play has shown he has a lot of upside and may have another level to tap into.

Jake's been an enigmatic player who's really had a bumpy road but has enough upside to provide depth to the right team. With Philly's core aging, Virtanen gets a bit more maturation time. A new start may also give him the bump he needs to fully realize his potential.

Pettersson

Horvat

Laughton

Beagle

Totally crazy I would do Virtanen straight up but not both,  Gaudette could be the guy he needs more time to develope , Laughton could play center until Gaudette develops. Gaudette could produce 40 to 50 points this year about 35 points in the shorten season . if he had some wingers that could produce he could be a point per game player. Motte and Bailey come to mind. But the coach likes his vets ( Sutter Eriksson Roussel ) until the vets are traded retire or waived we are stuck with them . One good thing with the shorted season every game will be balls out or in the press box you go. Should be entertaining .

On 12/31/2020 at 2:06 PM, komodo0921 said:

Pettersson

Horvat

Laughton

Beagle

Hard No.