The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] RNH

This summer Ryan Nugent - Hopkins becomes a UFA.

Burnaby Winter Club Alum.  Lives here in the off season.  Very connected to family and friends in Vancouver.  I think he might seriously consider returning to Vancouver when his contract with Edm is up. 

Cost maybe 6.5 to 7 over 5 years. (I don't think UFA's are gonna get huge dough next summer as cap is still flat and uncertainty is not over)

Big Upside:

Next year Top 3 Centres of Petey 23, Horvat 26, RNH 28. 

Coming off the books next year:

Sutter 4.375

Baertschi 3.37

Pearson 3.75

Edler 6.0

Spooner1.03

Benn 2.0

Possibly Ferland (3.5 stays on LTIR)

Possibly buy out Eriksson (saves 2m)

Possibly Seattle takes Holtby (likely IMO) saves 4.3

If these happen (or some combination) then the savings next year is 20.5m to 30.3m.

Conclusion is a chance to have possibly the best 1 2 3 Centre line up in the NHL by adding a local guy at a time when we have room due to expiring contracts.  I expect both Petey and Hughes sign bridge deals as it is in their interests (as well as the team's) given the uncertainty of Covid impact won't  be over yet and flat cap again next year. A year or two later may see a large lift in cap when the new NBC  (or competitors) tv deal is announced. So likely agents are focusing on deals in that time frame being bigger bucks.

I would love to see us grab RNH and the stars may in fact line up to allow it to happen this summer.

Please don't just give a negative take on this because you want to be the first to post something.

CDC could go crazy if JB was able to pull this off next summer.

Cup a cup a cup...

Thx.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Unless Petey/Hughes sign for under 7M and we're able to move out another contract, like Eriksson, I don't see how we could afford him. We'll have other needs, like on D, and other players that need contracts.

Thanks but I think if you look at the math the point is that we actually can afford him.. I expect Petey and Hughes to both sign bridges at about 7m. That eats up about 12.2 of next years savings as they currently make combined 1.8.

Given that the savings next year will be 20 to 30 it is in the realm of possiblility to add RNH if he wants to come.

Edited by fanfor42

8 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

As a Burnaby boy I for one would love to have the Nuge on our team, but he will want a minimum of 7 mil per. He may be a better top six winger than playing as a third centre.

Thanks partner I too would love to see him here.  I say 7m is max if you look at what happened this year with UFAs and consider that the clouds still wont have completely parted by next summer.  I can see him agreeing to 6.5 to 7. A chance to come home and help deliver the first ever Cup to Vancouver is very enticing for a kid who grew up here and has paid his dues in Edm.

Edited by fanfor42
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Thanks but I think if you look at the math the point is that we actually can afford him.. I expect Petey and Hughes to both sign bridges at about 7m. That eats up about 12.2 of next years savings as they currently make combined 1.8.

Given that the savings next year will be 20 to 30 it is in the realm of possiblility to add RNJ if he wants to come.

We could but we'd sacrifice at a top 4 D we'll desperately need when Edler's gone. Not to mention that we are deep at young forwards(Pod/Hog/Lind/etc) that are ready or really close.

Overall, given the circumstances it may not be the best idea to tie up anymore money long-term at FWD next off-season. We're going to have a lot of youngsters needing raises soon and most of them are at forward.

Unless you move one or two players that are here during 2021-22 out I don't see us affording another 6.5-7M forward

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We could but we'd sacrifice at a top 4 D we'll desperately need when Edler's gone. Not to mention that we are deep at young forwards(Pod/Hog/Lind/etc) that are ready or really close.

Overall, given the circumstances it may not be the best idea to tie up anymore money long-term at FWD next off-season. We're going to have a lot of youngsters needing raises soon and most of them are at forward.

Unless you move one or two players that are here during 2021-22 out I don't see us affording another 6.5-7M forward

Sutter plus buy out Eriksson is 6.5 savings.

I've listed a lot of other contracts that are coming off.  Saying we can't afford him just isn't correct.  Yes choices have to be made but think about it.  If Try comes back to replace Benn and Edler agrees to sign cheap then we are getting down to the short strokes on completing the roster and the money is there.  It's a matter of how much you think RNH makes us a contender.  For me he makes a huge impact.

Plus one year later we have another 15m in savings by Luo coming off as well as Rouss and Beagle and the rest of Eriksson  and no more performance bonuses to Petey and Hughes. So RNH might cause us to put off the luxury of adding another key piece by up to one year.  Big deal.  He would be worth it partner.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

This summer Ryan Nugent - Hopkins becomes a UFA.

Burnaby Winter Club Alum.  Lives here in the off season.  Very connected to family and friends in Vancouver.  I think he might seriously consider returning to Vancouver when his contract with Edm is up. 

Cost maybe 6.5 to 7 over 5 years. (I don't think UFA's are gonna get huge dough next summer as cap is still flat and uncertainty is not over)

Big Upside:

Next year Top 3 Centres of Petey 23, Horvat 26, RNH 28. 

Coming off the books next year:

Sutter 4.375

Baertschi 3.37

Pearson 3.75

Edler 6.0

Spooner1.03

Benn 2.0

Possibly Ferland (3.5 stays on LTIR)

Possibly buy out Eriksson (saves 2m)

Possibly Seattle takes Holtby (likely IMO) saves 4.3

If these happen (or some combination) then the savings next year is 20.5m to 30.3m.

Conclusion is a chance to have possibly the best 1 2 3 Centre line up in the NHL by adding a local guy at a time when we have room due to expiring contracts.  I expect both Petey and Hughes sign bridge deals as it is in their interests (as well as the team's) given the uncertainty of Covid impact won't  be over yet and flat cap again next year. A year or two later may see a large lift in cap when the new NBC  (or competitors) tv deal is announced. So likely agents are focusing on deals in that time frame being bigger bucks.

I would love to see us grab RNH and the stars may in fact line up to allow it to happen this summer.

Please don't just give a negative take on this because you want to be the first to post something.

CDC could go crazy if JB was able to pull this off next summer.

Cup a cup a cup...

Thx.

Big fan of him and like you pointed out we have a lot of cap coming off the books plus the very real chance Seattle takes a big contract (Holtby, LE, Myers) by preference or in a deal involving a sweetener.

The Nucks are in a great position to poach a good Dman off a team like the Avs, or Canes, etc since we have an open protection spot.

If we did get RNH, I think it would make sense having him as the 2c, instantly making the 3rd line with Bo, one hell of a third line.

It also turns AG into a good trade piece, especially if he continues to improve.

Of the expiring contracts, Edler is the only one I see being re-signed and for much less than he makes now.

The thing I like about a guy like RNH is his playmaking.

Whenever I try to assemble the 2nd line for this season is having a pure playmaker. It's one of the reasons I think Sven gets a look as an RW in camp.

Pearson and Bo are better scorers then passers and the options in camp (Jake, Hogs, Rousell?) are more finishers IMO.

Brock is an underrated passer but that just leaves a hole on the top line unless Hogs lights it up in camp.

If bottom-6 cap is shed (some of Roussel/ Beagle/ Ferland) then I'd be open to it after Pete/ Hughes/ Demko re-sign.  The team's gotta have its priorities straight (sign the top guys), given how guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin are still expected shortly on the wings.  There's no lack at center that requires a pricey RNH to be the solution, and I'd rather not overspend for a redundant asset.

Edited by Phil_314

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Sutter plus buy out Eriksson is 6.5 savings.

I've listed a lot of other contracts that are coming off.  Saying we can't afford him just isn't correct.  Yes choices have to be made but think about it.  If Try comes back to replace Benn and Edler agrees to sign cheap then we are getting down to the short strokes on completing the roster and the money is there.  It's a matter of how much you think RNH makes us a contender.  For me he makes a huge impact.

Plus one year later we have another 15m in savings by Luo coming off as well as Rouss and Beagle and the rest of Eriksson  and no more performance bonuses to Petey and Hughes. So RNH might cause us to put off the luxury of adding another key piece by up to one year.  Big deal.  He would be worth it partner.

Below is our roster for 2021-22 season from Capfriendly - this is the season when RNH becomes a UFA.

As it shows we will have $24.5m in cap space with only 14 players on the roster.

Can you show us how you would spend that $24.5m to cover contracts for Petey, Hughes, Demko, RNH, (maybe Gaudette), plus another 4 roster spots (primarily Dmen)?

Thanks

Canucks 2022.JPG

Edited by BigTramFan

Would be nice if you read my post...

Buy out Eriksson saves 2m (A likely result IMO)

If Kraken take Holtby saves 4.3 (They will take someone and Holtby or Myers are likely candidates).

If Ferland stays on LTIR saves 3.5 (Again a very real and distinct possibility)

Those can all be known before hand. And this is without having to make a deal to move someone else.

Don't need all of them to happen to have room. - Now why don't you do the math please.

I'm actually a bit RNH fan and think he's very underrated, playing in the shadow of Draisaitl and McDavid. That said, I too am not certain about the price. Hughes and Petey could be insanely expensive and Boeser will probably want raise too. If it can be made to work, I wouldn't mind the signing, but I also feel that RNH is wasted as a 3rd line centre. He's easily a top 6 calibre player and we'd be much wiser to spend our money in a place of weakness, like defense, especially if Edler doesn't re-sign.

In short, I'm not certain we have the cap space, but even if we do, we'd be better off signing a solid 2/3 defenseman (Schmidt-level) instead of another high end centre. Even a winger would be better for us than extra centres.

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm actually a bit RNH fan and think he's very underrated, playing in the shadow of Draisaitl and McDavid. That said, I too am not certain about the price. Hughes and Petey could be insanely expensive and Boeser will probably want raise too. If it can be made to work, I wouldn't mind the signing, but I also feel that RNH is wasted as a 3rd line centre. He's easily a top 6 calibre player and we'd be much wiser to spend our money in a place of weakness, like defense, especially if Edler doesn't re-sign.

In short, I'm not certain we have the cap space, but even if we do, we'd be better off signing a solid 2/3 defenseman (Schmidt-level) instead of another high end centre. Even a winger would be better for us than extra centres.

I guess that's the question.  Do we become a champion calibre team by adding centre depth like RNH?  Also, if you look at it over two years you add RNH year one then add your D depth and other perceived needs the following year when we will have a second year of big dollars coming off. Players like RNH rarely come available and if he wants to b here it needs to be looked at. For me, a chance at RNH followed by completing the process the next year when we have another 15m to spend is a pretty solid choice.  I hope JB agrees.

Keep in mind that Petey and Hughes will ultimately move up to their big contracts when the cap moves up subsequent to the next tv deal so I dont worry too much about affording them after they do bridge deals next summer.

Edited by fanfor42

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Would be nice if you read my post...

Buy out Eriksson saves 2m (A likely result IMO)

If Kraken take Holtby saves 4.3 (They will take someone and Holtby or Myers are likely candidates).

If Ferland stays on LTIR saves 3.5 (Again a very real and distinct possibility)

Those can all be known before hand. And this is without having to make a deal to move someone else.

Don't need all of them to happen to have room. - Now why don't you do the math please.

Yep I read your post and I understand the math just fine, I was interested to see if you had further detail that would change my opinion.

RNH is a good target but IMO this would be spending too much on our fwd group. I would rather put the $6m-7m into our right side D corps. If Seattle takes Myers we only have Hughes, Schmidt, Juolevi and Rathbone left on our blueline. Maybe we can resign Edler and Tryamkin. But that's not one natural righty on the roster and not nearly enough experience to win a cup.

Comparatively our F group depth in 2022 should be something like this without RNH:

LW: Miller, Hoglander, (Ferland), Roussel, Motte, Hawryluk, Michaelis

C: Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, Beagle, Jasek, Costmar

RW: Boeser, Virtanen, Podkolzin, MacEwen, Lind, Lockwood

4 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I guess that's the question.  Do we become a champion calibre team by adding centre depth like RNH?  Also, if you look at it over two years you add RNH year one then add your D depth and other perceived needs the following year when we will have a second year of big dollars coming off. Players like RNH rarely come available and if he wants to b here it needs to be looked at. For me, a chance at RNH followed by completing the process the next year when we have another 15m to spend is a pretty solid choice.  I hope JB agrees.

Keep in mind that Petey and Hughes will ultimately move up to their big contracts when the cap moves up subsequent to the next tv deal so I dont worry too much about affording them after they do bridge deals next summer.

I think championship calibre teams have amazing third line forwards, but RNH is above even the third line guys on a team like Tampa Bay. He scores at close to a point-per-game, tough admittedly, this year is the only year he's been reasonably close to that mark.

I actually think we have a great potential high-end third line scoring centre in Gaudette, who I think has real 60-point potential within the next few years. I would also argue that a strong defensive core is more crucial to a cup-winning team than forward depth. Injury problems aside, I'd actually be much more interested in Klefbom, Edmonton's top defenseman, than RNH for our purposes.

6 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I guess that's the question.  Do we become a champion calibre team by adding centre depth like RNH? 

maybe. C depth certainly plays a huge role, particularly when the playoff injuries come into play.

I think your idea is possible but it will take some creative contract work. The bigger question for me is, who does the RNH fit best with on the Canucks? he's been weak on face-offs and is a bit small, but maybe with the right line mates thats not as big a deal. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe. C depth certainly plays a huge role, particularly when the playoff injuries come into play.

I think your idea is possible but it will take some creative contract work. The bigger question for me is, who does the RNH fit best with on the Canucks? he's been weak on face-offs and is a bit small, but maybe with the right line mates thats not as big a deal. 

I think a RNH , Virt and Motte line could be interesting. Motte is the hustle, birt crashes to the net.

I wouldn’t be against adding RNH, but I think unless the covid discount comes in very favourable then its probably not worth the cost and the impact that will have on other moves 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I think a RNH , Virt and Motte line could be interesting. Motte is the hustle, birt crashes to the net.

I wouldn’t be against adding RNH, but I think unless the covid discount comes in very favourable then its probably not worth the cost and the impact that will have on other moves 

there's a pretty big group of older veteran C's next year, so I could see a 1 year bargain there paid with Gaudette as an option too. 

I'm not opposed to the idea of the 'nuge at the right price tho.