The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] RNH

Nuge loves his team and they love him so there's that.

Also, the Canucks don't need him.  Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind and Virtanen coming up

You have to be careful how many high salaries are on the team and you definitely don't want anybody north of $5M on the 3rd line.

Don't assume that all those expiring contracts are moving on next year either.  Pearson is probably back.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Edler back at a reduced salary either

18 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

This summer Ryan Nugent - Hopkins becomes a UFA.

Burnaby Winter Club Alum.  Lives here in the off season.  Very connected to family and friends in Vancouver.  I think he might seriously consider returning to Vancouver when his contract with Edm is up. 

Cost maybe 6.5 to 7 over 5 years. (I don't think UFA's are gonna get huge dough next summer as cap is still flat and uncertainty is not over)

Big Upside:

Next year Top 3 Centres of Petey 23, Horvat 26, RNH 28. 

Coming off the books next year:

Sutter 4.375

Baertschi 3.37

Pearson 3.75

Edler 6.0

Spooner1.03

Benn 2.0

Possibly Ferland (3.5 stays on LTIR)

Possibly buy out Eriksson (saves 2m)

Possibly Seattle takes Holtby (likely IMO) saves 4.3

If these happen (or some combination) then the savings next year is 20.5m to 30.3m.

Conclusion is a chance to have possibly the best 1 2 3 Centre line up in the NHL by adding a local guy at a time when we have room due to expiring contracts.  I expect both Petey and Hughes sign bridge deals as it is in their interests (as well as the team's) given the uncertainty of Covid impact won't  be over yet and flat cap again next year. A year or two later may see a large lift in cap when the new NBC  (or competitors) tv deal is announced. So likely agents are focusing on deals in that time frame being bigger bucks.

I would love to see us grab RNH and the stars may in fact line up to allow it to happen this summer.

Please don't just give a negative take on this because you want to be the first to post something.

CDC could go crazy if JB was able to pull this off next summer.

Cup a cup a cup...

Thx.

there is alot of goalies available for seattle to choose from. minnesota will have to protect one of cam talbot or alex stalock, arizona will haveto protect one of  darcy kuemper and adin hill, montreal will have jake allen available. not entirely sure if cbj's merzilkins is exempt, if he isnt then also korpisalo will be available. LA will have to protect one of jonathan quick or cal petersen. at the end of the year we will know more but at this point i wouldn't say it's likely that thatcher gets chosen.

21 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

As a Burnaby boy I for one would love to have the Nuge on our team, but he will want a minimum of 7 mil per. He may be a better top six winger than playing as a third centre.

I agree.

Given that we have Boeser coming up for another contract and Bo getting close again, money is still going to be tight in the future.

We, also, have Hogz and Podz coming, possibly, this season (predicting Hogz for sure) which are going to be the completion of our top-six.

Although I do appreciate his thinking, I just don't see it being realistic.

I want to thank all who have posted their thoughts so far. (I really appreciate the discourse).

I want to leave you with another.  We are an up and coming team but have you looked at what Colorado is doing? Those guys are going to be stacked.

We need to compete and maybe some bold moves are going to be required.  Playing it safe and adding a piece here or there to be competitive is fine but I want to win a cup.

For me having 3 centres of Petey Bo and RNH quality is a possible avenue to competing for a cup. Mojo is a big part of what a cup winning team needs. I think having arguably the best 1-2-3 centres in the league builds mojo.  We are going to be in tough against Colorado to come out of the west in the future for the next 5+ years and we need to make bold moves IMO.

So yes, there are alternatives to what I am proposing but if you look a year ahead we need to be ready to start the fight for supremacy in the West.  Not just be an ok middle of the pack  team that can make the playoffs but doesn't scare anyone.

As a final thought what tips the scales to make this group the one that can win it all? 

History shows  moves have always been needed.  In '94 the St Louis trade made the difference. In the Naslund years a deal didn't come together to put them over the top and neither did those teams. The Sedin years came together with the Erhoff deal and a couple pieces added later.

But, none of them won.  

What do we need to do to win?

I think this is the only question that  matters to Canuck fans going forward with this group.

Thx.

37 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'd be okay with the Nuge but only on a fair value deal, which isn't very common with UFA first-overall picks.  He's not worth 7 million and maybe not even 6, but chances are he'll get it, even though the production has never really been there. 

In the last 3 seasons he’s put up 178 points in 209 games for .85ppg. That’s damn respectable