The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ottawa Senators name Gudbranson, Chabot, and Tkachuk as alternate captains

Rate this topic

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-senators-name-alternate-captains-for-upcoming-season-1.5251576

Chabot and Tkachuk both being named as alternates make sense. But I'm surprised about Gudbranson (former Canuck) named as an alternate since the Senators have other players that could've been as an alternate like Coburn, Stepan, or someone that has been a Senator at least last season. Some people on Twitter are laughing about Gudbranson being named as an alternate. Thoughts on this?

To be fair, he was well-respected in Florida since his draft for his leadership.  Of course the new vets (Stepan, Coburn) could wear an "A" too but possibly out of those three only Erik will factor in for their future?  Could see them flip Derek to give White/ Norris/ Stutzle/ Tierney expanded roles, and Coburn's next contract will be 35+ so I think they'd want to avoid signing those.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Good for Guddy. Veteran guy who's brought leadership qualities everywhere he's been. 

He's a limited defenseman but it seems like Vancouver was really the low point of his career. The impression I've gotten from ppl on HF is that he was a bit better in Anaheim. Wish him nothing but the best. 

Also good for Chabot/Tkachuk. Brady especially, he's the next captain there for-sure.

Its such a pipe dream but I would love to see Brady Tkachuk in Canucks colours one day. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's a limited defenseman but it seems like Vancouver was really the low point of his career. The impression I've gotten from ppl on HF is that he was a bit better in Anaheim. Wish him nothing but the best. 

They also said don't judge Sbisa on his last season as a Duck before the Kesler trade because he was asked to play on his 'off side' (because of injuries on the blueline).  He turned out to be equally mediocre on either side.:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They also said don't judge Sbisa on his last season as a Duck before the Kesler trade because he was asked to play on his 'off side' (because of injuries on the blueline).  He turned out to be equally mediocre on either side.:P

This is true.

In hindsight we expected too much of Guddy here. He was coming off the high point of his career as a 23 yr old D, but wasn't there yet. Putting him into a bigger role exposed his game. At this point he's a bottom of the lineup/compliment guy and nothing more really. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

To be fair, he was well-respected in Florida since his draft for his leadership.  Of course the new vets (Stepan, Coburn) could wear an "A" too but possibly out of those three only Erik will factor in for their future?  Could see them flip Derek to give White/ Norris/ Stutzle/ Tierney expanded roles, and Coburn's next contract will be 35+ so I think they'd want to avoid signing those.

Well, Gudbranson is from Ottawa and is a hometown boy so it makes sense he gets the A. Likely plays a few years in Ottawa before heading overseas as his career winds down.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:06 AM, StealthNuck said:

Intangibles.  

So Intangible that he's has 4 different teams in less than 3 complete season.

I get it he's great in the locker room but the value some people had in his "intangibles" was blown way out of proportion.