The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Travis Hamonic with Canucks

10 minutes ago, Bell said:

My buddy is a Flames fan and he really really wants us to sign Hamonic.  He said he is a complete disaster. 

Maybe that had something to do with Calgary being a complete disaster of a team (forcing them to throw the term and dollars that players wanted despite the pandemic in desperation to "upgrade").

Hamonic will have a lesser role here and if he doesn't pan out, we wouldn't be tied down to term as well.

• Cheers 1

Well here is what is going to happen......bank on it! LOL

Canucks

Hughes - Hamonic...............Hamonic because he is fragile and Hughes will have the puck......reduced injuries for Hamonic (same as Tanev)

Edler - Schmidt....................Schmidt with Edler to balance it out the pairing

Joulevi - Myers.....................Myers to baby sit Juolevi

Taxi Squad

Permanant member .............Benn (plays both sides)

Here until Utica starts...........Rathbone (Rathbone will surprise, but will be put down eventually because they want him getting minutes and he is waiver exempt)

Brisebois will then come up when Rathbone goes down

IF Benning gets Tryamkin over before the season ends, then Brisebois goes down

Well, first Hamonic has to sign, but IMO, if it happens, it becomes the best Defensive grouping in 10 years

But, we should probably wait until after it is announced...lol

• Cheers 1

Wasn’t it hamonic who stood up for his Calgary teammate and fought Gudbrandson and had his face broken?

I didn’t care about the loss but I loved how, without any hesitation, Hamonic  just jumped in and fought a guy 3 times his size.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My only issue with the Hughes Schmidt pair is that we take our two best luck rushers and put them on one pair.

Only one guy can carry the puck, so it seems like it wouldn’t be optimizing both guys.

Id rather have two pairs with guys that can move the puck at a high level.

Definitely thinking the same thing.  The things I like about the mm together is they could really push the pace with our top two lines.  Myers is still a good pick mover but in reality I could see them deployed very situationally depending on where we are at in a game or who we are playing.  

If we sign Hamonic I think Joulevi Hamonic would be a lock to start the year.

• Cheers 1

Just now, ilduce39 said:

Quick glance at his stats... 2nd most TOI on Cal behind Giordano.  Most D zone starts for D men (although Cal was very balanced... 55%) led a middle of the pack Flames team in PK TOI.  Blocked a ton of shots.  Threw some hits.  49% Corsi.  

What’s not to like?

It all boils down to his ask.

1yr/2m would be great.

• Cheers 4

I'm curious as to why Calgary would let Hamanic walk to sign Tanev? Tanev is an elite shutdown defenceman but other than last year is usually healing for 20 plus games. Obviously Calgary liked Tanev over Hammonic but why are canucks fans so excited about this pto? Is it he'll probably sign for less money and term? If so Calgary took a big chance on Tanev with his contract to let a potentially lower contract slip away,  when some are saying hammonics basically the same guy as tanev. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

In 2018-19 Hamonic had one of his best years, especially analytically. 2019-20 was a down year from that. His physicality has gone down last couple years too.

Nevertheless he's still a very viable player and a good option for our bottom 6. He'd be a good fit for a youngster like OJ.

Canucks might be the most ideal of situations for him. He could benefit from a slightly lesser role(18-20 minutes) and new team. It might help him trend back upward.

I expect that his 5v5 time will be minimized as we shelter him on the 3rd pair with a rookie (barring injury), but he will be doing heavy lifting on the PK along with Edler which would bump his time up. Can't see him getting to 20 minutes a night, but probably 16-18 on average.

1 minute ago, sassbs said:

Wasn’t it hamonic who stood up for his Calgary teammate and fought Gudbrandson and had his face broken?

I didn’t care about the loss but I loved how, without any hesitation, Hamonic  just jumped in and fought a guy 3 times his size.   

Yeah Hamonic got caught with a brutal uppercut. Facial fractures. It happened at the start of the year.

Funny enough he had a great year that season.

Maybe Guddy knocked him so good it unlocked the potential hidden within. ;)

1 minute ago, Dannydog said:

I'm curious as to why Calgary would let Hamanic walk to sign Tanev? Tanev is an elite shutdown defenceman but other than last year is usually healing for 20 plus games. Obviously Calgary liked Tanev over Hammonic but why are canucks fans so excited about this pto? Is it he'll probably sign for less money and term? If so Calgary took a big chance on Tanev with his contract to let a potentially lower contract slip away,  when some are saying hammonics basically the same guy as tanev. 

term/money for sure, i guess we'll see if its decent or sh!t. hopefully cheap and not long.