The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. United States | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2021 | 6:30 PM PT

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

They had an easy draw which I think hurt them by the end.

Yeah, I guess you could say that. They did play Russia, a team similar to the USA in terms of talent. But I think we became too overconfident and didn't expect the USA to come out strong like this.

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I always compare Hockey Canada to New Zealand Rugby and the All Blacks. You expect them to

win and when they don’t it’s a major disappointment. That being said, when they do lose, it’s almost a blessing for the game globally as too much of a good thing (winning) sometimes takes away from the game (hockey) as a whole. Canada still reigns as hockey royalty, but you gotta remember without honest competition the game gets predictable and boring. That being said, I really hope the NHL and its players return to the Olympics soon.

Yea and I mean the lose is disappointing but it's entertainment and we haven't had it in awhile.

Good on the boys!

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think he's got the highest bust potential out of the top 10 for that draft.  Zero hockey sense.

I would say either he turns out to be a really good player or he's a bust. Considering the position he was drafted, there are going to be really high expectations on him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would say either he turns out to be a really good player or he's a bust. Considering the position he was drafted, there are going to be really high expectations on him.

He's a big, young boy. Needs more time but who knows. 

Byram looks unreal though. 

7 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Olympics will be tough.

Matthew's Eichel Q Hughes, J Hughes JT Miller Boeser, Kane, Seth Jones etc

That will by far be the best team they've ever had

McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Marner, Makar, Tavares, Lafrienere, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Huberdeau, Hart, exc.

Maybe it will be their best team, but we're doing alright too. 

Makes me sick to my stomach that ppl on IG are hoping for harm/turbulence to the American kids. When did we become such sore losers. We payed a hell of a tournament, and so did the Americans. These are still kids, plenty of play left in them. Im just excited to see them all on the same team one day in the NHL, worthy opponents playing against the Canucks. Newhook&byram vs Pods&hughes? Or which pick came out on top pods or Zegras?

Kids got bright futures. Happy for them. Who knows maybe one of them might be sporting green and blue one day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

He’s sooo good!

+ Great hands, exceptional playmaker, great skater, improved shot but not a rocket. Good on the PP.

- Winger, not known for 2-way game, not particularly dominant in hard areas. More of a passer than a shooter.

He's really talented but I don't see him as the next Kane, Pettersson or Marner... Or even Jack Hughes. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

9) ana - zegras

10) van - podkolzin

can you imagine the hype train there would be if Anaheim went with podkolzin over zegras and he fell to us?!

We would have petey, hughes, boeser, horvat and Miller with WJC MVP zegras on the way 

If we had drafted Zegras, we could have had an All-American Line -- Miller-Zegras-Boeser.

Having said that, I'm excited for Podkolzin.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is why I try to avoid the comments section on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

Don't forget Twitter. I don't know about anyone else, but it seems like social media has become even more of a toxic cesspool over the last couple of years.

Can't be mad at the Americans. They played better when it mattered.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Great hands, exceptional playmaker, great skater, improved shot but not a rocket.

Winger, not known for 2-way game, not particularly dominant in hard areas.

He's really talented but I don't see him as the next Kane, Pettersson or Marner... Or even Jack Hughes. 

Going to be interesting to see where these players are going to be in 3-4 years. 

• Cheers 1