The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. United States | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2021 | 6:30 PM PT

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not sure why. Maybe it was the TSN going overboard gushing over the team. But I had a bad feeling about this game. Watched long enough to see the first US goal.

The US was following the Finland blueprint. Keep the puck in the Canadian zone, wait for a mistake. Still proud of our boys. I'm just impressed with Levi. Considering it seems like it's been ages since we had a solid goalie. He's going to have a bright future. 

Levi looked like the best Canadian goalie prospect since Carey Price.    Not his fault - Knight was equally up to the task, in a one game tournament (which these become), he pulled out all the stops.   Both these guys were the story of the tournament.   Felt that Levi should have been the player of the game once - instead they went with Byram.     What a cool story - not invited to summer camp - a spot opens as the sixth goalie, he comes to camp and steals the spot, and the spotlight (Levi).   Rooting for him. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Shows you that coaching and gameplans matter, US had one and Canada didn't adapt to the US and thier pinching defense.

a 2-0 game isn't strictly a matter of coaching and gameplans. If the bounces had gone Canada's way, this post wouldn't have been made. Canada was pretty unlucky. Furthermore, I saw a number of players, notably Byfield, that took low percentage shots from a distance, which ended up bringing the puck out of the zone.

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

a 2-0 game isn't strictly a matter of coaching and gameplans. If the bounces had gone Canada's way, this post wouldn't have been made. Canada was pretty unlucky. Furthermore, I saw a number of players, notably Byfield, that took low percentage shots from a distance, which ended up bringing the puck out of the zone.

Agreed.

The bounces were not there. Also some quality opportunities were missed in regards to shots that should have been taken. Instead of a shot, I see a stick handle and loss of the puck. Happened at least 3 times...as I shouted at my screen "What are you doing....? Take the shot!" lol

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DarthMelvin said:

Agreed.

The bounces were not there. Also some quality opportunities were missed in regards to shots that should have been taken. Instead of a shot, I see a stick handle and loss of the puck. Happened at least 3 times...as I shouted at my screen "What are you doing....? Take the shot!" lol

Yeah, some players overhandled the puck, similar to how the other players from other teams in the tournament had done. It results in a loss of possession.

• -DLC- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The panel noted about the defense of the Americans and Canada never adapted, to say Canada lost because of unlucky bounces is a copp out and a shot at the US team because they executed thier gameplan perfectly.  

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

The panel noted about the defense of the Americans and Canada never adapted, to say Canada lost because of unlucky bounces is a copp out and a shot at the US team because they executed thier gameplan perfectly.  

Totally agree.

They came out flat and looked tired.

If they came out with the same high pressure, high tempo game as they did against the Russians, Canada has another gold today.

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

No, it's not a "cop out". I watched the same game as you and Canada had good energy. I'm not sure how people saw Canada 'looking flat'. I had no doubt Canada came out to play. Canada didn't get the bounces that would've changed the game. Yet I am not saying that the US didn't play a good game. 2-0 was a close game. I am not overanalyzing this game like the US 'outplayed' Canada. They didn't. The shot totals from Canada suggest that it was the other way around actually.

21 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yeah, the Panthers have another great goaltender prospect in Levi. It feels like just yesterday when they had the best goaltender prospect in Markstrom.

Makes the Bob contract look worse and worse tbh. You have a very good goalie prospect in Levi, and you sign Bob to an 7 year deal?

I had a bad feeling about this game. The thing that I noticed was the start times. We had around 3:00 every game whereas USA had several late games before the Gold medal contest. Not an excuse but maybe why they didn't have the same jump as previous games. You still have to rise to the occasion. The USA team did and we didn't.