The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Barzal NYI

aGENT

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah the doom and gloom stems from people overrating how much the Canadian taxes effects players and people think we need to pay what Toronto paid for their players. Despite there being no real correlation there. They f'd their cap and f'd up how they handled their RFAs, doesn't mean we have to. The Canucks have Horvat as a good benchmark contract. How can Petey or anyone ask for twice as much as what our captain makes? We'll be fine. The tax situation stinks but isn't gonna bloat our contracts that much. And Toronto's situation is isolated to them.

Well for starters he is basically one of the best players in the league already and will be top 5 very soon 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Well for starters he is basically one of the best players in the league already and will be top 5 very soon 

One of the best? Depends on how many players you include. I dunno if he's top 20 yet. We rate him very highly on effort and work ethic. But Horvat himself is top 50-60. So even if Petey were among the best he's not worth twice what Bo makes. 

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

One of the best? Depends on how many players you include. I dunno if he's top 20 yet. We rate him very highly on effort and work ethic. But Horvat himself is top 50-60. So even if Petey were among the best he's not worth twice what Bo makes. 

Really? In my opinion he is already top 10 and all the numbers back it up, his on ice impact is phenomenal .

3 hours ago, apollo said:

I'd toss u a confused react but I think you deserve the +1 for making me laugh so I gave you laughs :P

I'm genuinely hoping you don't take this the wrong way... I have nothing but good intentions and hope that you may see things differently as a result... I hope you can one day see life and this team as glass half full. I hope I can help all our fans who suffer from this as we are ALL CANUCKS <3

This is a common theme in Canucks nation... I experienced this stage myself for about 3 years of my 20 years of fandom... we got wronged so much in the past that it's easy to just become negative and just think every thing is against us (whether its life or canucks related). During those 3 years, I was negative, would absolutely flip over losing even regular season games... and was just causing havoc for myself mentally... it's not healthy my friend.

As I look back through the years, I realized what caused my "Canucks Related Depression"... from Bertuzzi (the man i looked up to after he changed my life with one afternoon... not growing up with a father around made me just love him even more)  being suspended on the verge of the franchise winning our first cup... to the rules of the league changing in a 2011 SCF... from the passing of future Norris Dman Luc Bourdon (Rest in paradise Luc)... to the Jordan Schroeders setting WJC records but busting for us...

It really is easy to turn on your team after going through what our fan base has gone through. Mental illness is a result of trauma and it's really easy to let bad things that happened in the past skew our vision of the future...

It's easy to pretend that us nerds sitting behind the computer have an actual clue about what Jim needs to be doing. For years I'd huff and puff my chest like a big shot ridiculing Benning... because I'm some nerd with 10K posts on CDC... "ELIAS IS TOO SMALL! Omg QUinn hughes small and american!?"

After years of finding myself mentally it hit me... why was this happening? Was it because I'm a hockey god on the interwebz and know what benning should be doing? Or was my brain triggered to think negative thoughts IMMEDIATELY when it comes to our team?

I don't blame you - it hasn't been easy being a Canucks fan over the years and it's easy to slip your mind into a state of depression when it comes to surrounding the team.

The reality is Jim has done an impeccable job... not a single player over 6AAV... he's drafted 10x better than any GM in our franchise history plain and simple.

He's attracted great free agents, and I still to this day %100 support his signing of Loui. The team needed to give the Sedins one last run - so get over it you're not the one paying him

PS Tyler Myers was #1 dman available that free agency, TSN and every chanell had him as #1 D... he turned down 7x6 and took 5x6

So yea if you're still upset over Beagle and Roussel making 500k extra than what they deserve, its likely not healthy and there may be underlying issues

Well stated, Apollo Creed.

Barzal gets signed and it’s about EP right away which in this market is fair.   Both have Calders,  both are good young C’s etc.   AHO, who in a flat cap world also plays in as a good comparable.    Keller and Hischier also play into his age range ... 

Point maybe too but of course he gets the TB discount....his bridge is also up soon.     Fair to say a 3 year deal won’t be under 7.    Unless we see a massive explosion it won’t reach 8 either, and that’s exactly what it would take to get that high. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

His rankings vary, THN is about as high as you can go at 8th best already (any position)...Horvat also make the cut at around 46.   NHL.coms are more modest and have him right in the middle of the pack for first line C’s.... Not many don’t think EP is well on his way to superstardom, which seems likely given his age, and his playoff production compared to his veteran blue chip peers his first time out.  

9 hours ago, Provost said:

If we can get that sort of deal for Petterson and Hughes we are pretty golden.

$14 million for those two guys gives us a ton of flexibility to get out of our bad veteran contracts.  Then maybe we can look at max contracts when they have seen we have success and they are more likely to take a little discount to stay in a winning environment.

13- 16 million is right around where we might get them for depending on length of bridges and how long they are for.   Almost certainly it will be part of the best windows this core gets for several reasons.   

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

13- 16 million is right around where we might get them for depending on length of bridges and how long they are for.   Almost certainly it will be part of the best windows this core gets for several reasons.   

Ya... 3 year deals takes them to the year AFTER  Horvat and Miller possible extensions so spaces it all out fairly well.  3 x $6.5-7 would be really sweet.

4 year at $7-7.5 million per year deals are also kind of perfect and then we can sign them to max term deals after that.  That works as far as the agents are concerned as it would mean they get some big bucks on their 3rd contracts into their mid 30's where they will be overpaid... and the 4 years means that the economics will should have evened back out again and the money owed by the players will be done by that time.   We get a 10 year window with them locked up in their prime and can live with a few years of declining play at the end (when hopefully inflation will make the contracts not such a bad deal anyways).

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Barzal 4,7 and 10.

What is the minimum, by league rules, that he gets next?

His qualifying offer is 8.4M. 

The contract can be lower than the QO.   Qualifying offers expire after about 10 days or so.  This season the deadline to qualify players is 26 July and players have between 28 July and 6 August to sign their 1-year QO or let it lapse.  The team can file to extend the expiry date but there’s no reason to for most players as teams prefer to negotiate a contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Pettersson will be +/- $7m x 3 year bridge and Hughes +/- $6m x 3.

I figured about the same, though I had Hughes just shy of Pettersson at maybe 6.5. But really, the contracts should be thereabouts. These guys aren't gonna ask for the moon if they do a bridge. It's the following contract that will be the one that would really strap our cash because we could very well see double digits then.

To make that much money. Geesh.

As for Pettersson's rank in the NHL, I too would put him in the top 20 easily as of today. As said, it isn't just his scoring but his overall impact on the ice. Some don't realize how good he actually is defensively as his scoring is always the focus, but he's an excellent all-around player. Once he gains more muscle and experience I do expect him to be in the top 10 if not top 5 in overall players in the league. He may never score as much as McDavid, but he has much to offer that McJesus cannot, and it isn't just personality.

Edited by kloubek