The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sunday Camp Cancelled Due To Possible COVID Exposure

Rate this topic

-DLC-

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not looking to throw you under the bus - but I don't think "decent" is anywhere near good enough.

For me anything less than driven, relentless, determined, 'possessed' - and it's unconditional waivers imo.

I think fans are too emotionally invested with certain players. Negative hated players and positive fan favourites. Loui's an easy target and many upvotes are given when he's bashed. I think he isn't as bad as portrayed and think that he may still be a taxi squad guy who can step in and contribute.

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's a bit of a stretch to connect that to "being a good team mate" for me.

By Gaud's reaction (and only through luck he wasn't hurt)....wasn't a great move.

I love his hustle and tenacity....just think that was a bonehead move where he tried too hard the wrong way.  

Tbh, I was embellishing.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yeah, I feel like we're hurting ourselves by throwing our own players under the bus (don't read my Loui comments...they don't count).

With Jake, there's so much there to harness and it would be a shame to not allow him to prove himself.  Yes, he's done some things but on the ice is where we need to focus (now).  Which is why my comments about Loui don't count...I'm basing them on what I've seen through camp.  I don't care if he was cuddling babies when he left the rink, that's what matters to the team.  Jake seemed to put in a really good effort from what I saw.  I wish we'd cut him some slack.  

I agree. He was playing really well last night in the scrimmage. Some people just can't let it go. Like you say, cut the guy some slack. . 

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I think fans are too emotionally invested with certain players. Negative hated players and positive fan favourites. Loui's an easy target and many upvotes are given when he's bashed. I think he isn't as bad as portrayed and think that he may still be a taxi squad guy who can step in and contribute.

I don't dislike LE - can be accused of having 'defended' him to much - and couldn't care less to bash players or choose whipping boys - I simply don't consider him effective enough any longer, and don't consider him to be earning a spot relative to other players on the cusp.

It's to the point where players like Gaudette are on the margins. 

EP MIller Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander/Gaudette

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle ______

That's 12 forwards that I'd take over LE in a heartbeat regardless of his contract.

Does LE still deserve to edge out players like MacEwen?  At best he's one Ferland returning from the AHL imo.

Bailey, Lind, Hawryluk, Graovac, etc - the team has enough viable 13th forwards....

I would have replaced him outright if I could have signed a Brad Richardson to fit within his waived cap.

And nothing he's shown has changed my impression.

I think the time has come.  It's unconditional waivers imo.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't dislike LE - can be accused of having 'defended' him to much - and couldn't care less to bash players or choose whipping boys - I simply don't consider him effective enough any longer, and don't consider him to be earning a spot relative to other players on the cusp.

EP MIller Boeser

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle ______

That's 12 forwards that I'd take over LE in a heartbeat regardless of his contract.

Does LE still deserve to edge out players like MacEwen?  At best he's one Ferland returning from the AHL imo.

Bailey, Lind, Hawryluk, Graovac, etc - the team has enough viable 13th forwards....

I would have replaced him outright if I could have signed a Brad Richardson to fit within his waived cap.

Can they do that right now though? I think that he would have to agree to early retirement or mutually terminating his contract.

In order to buy-out a player, NHL teams give notice to the player and the league that they intend to buy-out a player's rights under the terms of the CBA by submitting the player through unconditional waivers. These waivers can only be requested during two periods:

1. Between June 15, or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final series if it ends later, and June 30 of each year.
  2. If a club has team- or player-elected salary arbitration cases, within 48 hours of the last arbitration award or settlement of the last arbitration case prior to the arbitration hearing.[7]
Edited by RWMc1

38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

EP MIller Boeser

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle ______

Exact same for me. I think LE has just gotten to that stage in his career where he can't be effective anymore. There's not necessarily any fault here, some players age faster and harder than others. I think he's a knowledgeable player and wouldn't mind seeing him join the team in some capacity, but I think the Canucks should do everything that they can, to encourage him to make a decision to retire, including assigning him to Utica, instead of the Taxi squad.

If he does stick with the team at the taxi level through the season, I think Canucks will move to buy him out next summer, when there would be actual savings. I think it would cost them 4 million first year and then 2 million second season and he'd be out of the system.

At 1 million, LE would have trouble getting a team to pick him up right now, considering how cheap other guys have been signing for over the last 2 months.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yeah, I feel like we're hurting ourselves by throwing our own players under the bus (don't read my Loui comments...they don't count).

With Jake, there's so much there to harness and it would be a shame to not allow him to prove himself.  Yes, he's done some things but on the ice is where we need to focus (now).  Which is why my comments about Loui don't count...I'm basing them on what I've seen through camp.  I don't care if he was cuddling babies when he left the rink, that's what matters to the team.  Jake seemed to put in a really good effort from what I saw.  I wish we'd cut him some slack.  

Agreed. Come on folks, let's keep the ripping to Loui only please.

EBUSh4_U0AAaS-U.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Agreed. Come on folks, let's keep the ripping to Loui only please.

Yup. The JV stuff is old and frankly not funny. Loui on the other hand is just a meme now and has been for while.

any more news on today’s cancellation? Anyone?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yup. The JV stuff is old and frankly not funny. Loui on the other hand is just a meme now and has been for while.

any more news on today’s cancellation? Anyone?

Honestly, given the $6,000,000.00 we're paying him, he might as well be the official team whipping boy and take the heat off our other players. Might end up earning a bit of his contract then :lol:

Edited by NHL'er
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Can they do that right now though? I think that he would have to agree to early retirement or mutually terminating his contract.

In order to buy-out a player, NHL teams give notice to the player and the league that they intend to buy-out a player's rights under the terms of the CBA by submitting the player through unconditional waivers. These waivers can only be requested during two periods:

1. Between June 15, or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final series if it ends later, and June 30 of each year.
  2. If a club has team- or player-elected salary arbitration cases, within 48 hours of the last arbitration award or settlement of the last arbitration case prior to the arbitration hearing.[7]

I'm not sure of the technicality - whether unconditional waivers would require either the intention of a buyout (which would not be my/the point in this case) or the agreed upon mutual termination of a contract.   I suppose out of 'respect' the team should/would simply waive him (probably the higher likelihood) and give him the opportunity of being claimed.  Since we all know the likelihood of that, it's effectively an assignment to the AHL.  In any event, I see it more as a matter of realistically it probably being time to retire, or at least testing the market after termination to see if there are any other takers at current market values.   For me, the option of Eriksson playing out his contract in this lineup - has come to an end.

If anything, Covid has preserved the present state.    The team has not re-signed Toffoli, Ferland is not healthy and questionable long term, and they also did not re-sign Leivo - while making no roster forward additions - signing only Hawryluk to compete among the young depth forward prospects.  In my opinion Eriksson fell below all three of those forwards on the depth chart - only considerable injuries really opened the window for him to be in the lineup - otherwise realistically he was in, at best, the 14/15 range on the depth chart (spot duty on Horvat's line in a matchup role is/was misleading).  Three veteran forward departures and I'd still consider Eriksson to be competing for/in the 13th forward range... At that age, the Sedins were (although not as solid defensive forwards as Eriksson) still scoring 60 pts a season (at that $6 cap hit).

Eriksson has had:

24 pts

23 pts

29 pts, and

13 pt seasons here.

Last year he was only earning 12 minutes/night, in spite of the injuries to forwards, which probably inflated that figure.

Can I imagine the Sedins hanging onto NHL careers had they declined that significantly?

I just don't think there's an alternative to waivers.

I probably would have taken that a step further and actively replaced him with within the threshold of his waivable cap - which I believe 'could' have resulted in a better depth forward (ie one that's not only a heavier presence, but also a faceoff guy (center) and another primary penalty killer added to an already strong group - ie Richardson, Thompson - who'd also buffer the team against an injury to a center.

Edited by oldnews
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Honestly, given the $6,000,000.00 we're paying him, he might as well be the official team whipping boy and take the heat off our other players. Might end up earning a bit of his contract then :lol:

I think we should have a Loui Reaction on these boards. Instead of a Confused vote we can have Loui vote for anyone talking trash about the other Canucks. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure of the technicality - whether unconditional waivers would require either the intention of a buyout (which would not be my/the point in this case) or the agreed upon mutual termination of a contract.   I suppose out of 'respect' the team should/would simply waive him (probably the higher likelihood) and give him the opportunity of being claimed.  Since we all know the likelihood of that, it's effectively an assignment to the AHL.  In any event, I see it more as a matter of realistically it probably being time to retire, or at least testing the market after termination to see if there are any other takers at current market values.   For me, the option of Eriksson playing out his contract in this lineup - has come to an end.

If anything, Covid has preserved the present state.    The team has not re-signed Toffoli, Ferland is not healthy and questionable long term, and they also did not re-sign Leivo - while making no roster forward additions - signing only Hawryluk to compete among the young depth forward prospects.  In my opinion Eriksson fell below all three of those forwards on the depth chart - only considerable injuries really opened the window for him to be in the lineup - otherwise realistically he was in, at best, the 14/15 range on the depth chart (spot duty on Horvat's line in a matchup role is/was misleading).  Three veteran forward departures and I'd still consider Eriksson to be competing for/in the 13th forward range... At that age, the Sedins were (although not as solid defensive forwards as Eriksson) still scoring 60 pts a season (at that $6 cap hit).

Eriksson has had:

24 pts

23 pts

29 pts, and

13 pt seasons here.

Last year he was only earning 12 minutes/night, in spite of the injuries to forwards, which probably inflated that figure.

Can I imagine the Sedins hanging onto NHL careers had they declined that significantly?

I just don't think there's an alternative to waivers.

I probably would have taken that a step further and actively replaced him with within the threshold of his waivable cap - which I believe 'could' have resulted in a better depth forward (ie one that's not only a heavier presence, but also a faceoff guy (center) and another primary penalty killer added to an already strong group - ie Richardson, Thompson - who'd also buffer the team against an injury to a center.

Green and Benning said that some tough decisions will have to made. They're definitely not obligated to put Loui on the taxi squad. As for your depth analyses, putting Loui as maybe taxi squad obviously puts a lot of players above him in my estimation as well. I'm not sure who you are trying to convince.