The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Motte incident...

Rate this topic

iceman64

For what it's worth, Motte has chimed in on the situation (perhaps Gaudette will do the same in a bit)

On the point of the hit / slewfoot, it was definitely more dangerous than most hits, especially in a team practice but the intensity is understandable while each player on the ice, especially the bottom-6 are all fighting for regular playing time in a condensed season. Stay healthy boys, it'll be a battle over the next few months. 

Take hitting out of training camp? Then you'd end up with a team full of Eriksons and playoff mode Virtanens!

There are two separate non- issues connected here.

#1 -Motte slew foots two of his team mates during a practice scrimmage.

#2 - Gaudette took exception and a scrap ensued. 

Non-Issue #1 will be dealt with off the ice. Greener and I'm sure 1 or two guys in the room will say something, either in passing or directly. It will end there.

Non-Issue #2 is fun for fans to discuss, but in hockey, down at ice level this is nothing. Notice how the team is tapping sticks and acting chill. This is nothing these fellas haven't seen before. 

• Wat 1

All I will add it is pretty clear a lot of the people posting on CDC about this issue (not just this thread) have clearly never been part of a professional hockey camp (let alone an NHL camp).    Think of growing up with 30ish brothers and how many fights and less than nice tricks you would play on them....that is what a team is and sometimes the rough stuff goes too far and everyone involves knows that....Mom and Dad step in, have a chat and all is good.    If there is a camp when such doesn't happen I would wonder about they guys far more.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

2 hours ago, Harvey Specter said:

An extra tidbit of their conversation post-scrimmage

As it should be. Gauds probably helped the team out by dropping the gloves. Had he not, there might have been some issues (albeit minor—it’s a good room and the guys would get past it quickly) after the game, but a fight can settle things much quicker, and probably to a man, the Canucks felt like the issue was resolved on the ice. Without the fight, maybe that isn’t the case, and there’s a little locker room tension, but nothing they couldn’t handle.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

All I will add it is pretty clear a lot of the people posting on CDC about this issue (not just this thread) have clearly never been part of a professional hockey camp (let alone an NHL camp).    Think of growing up with 30ish brothers and how many fights and less than nice tricks you would play on them....that is what a team is and sometimes the rough stuff goes too far and everyone involves knows that....Mom and Dad step in, have a chat and all is good.    If there is a camp when such doesn't happen I would wonder about they guys far more.

How many NHL camps have you been part of exactly?  Could you share your hockey stats page?

I mean you couldn't possibly be berating folks posting on CDC for not knowing about NHL camps because they haven't been part of them... when you have literally the exact same level of knowledge and experience.  That wouldn't make sense at all and would be a really dumb position to take, so I have to assume you are a former NHLer now wasting their time on the forum.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Hitting is part of the game and these guys are competing to live their dream and play in the NHL. I can't see why this should change at all.

Ya , slew footing in practice isn't.  Whatever though. U do u. This has nothing to do with whether they actually kissed and made up or not. It's one guy putting himself above the team. Risking injuring a teammate to better ur position on the team is idiotic and selfish. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Four.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

How many NHL camps have you been part of exactly?  Could you share your hockey stats page?

I mean you couldn't possibly be berating folks posting on CDC for not knowing about NHL camps because they haven't been part of them... when you have literally the exact same level of knowledge and experience.  That wouldn't make sense at all and would be a really dumb position to take, so I have to assume you are a former NHLer now wasting their time on the forum.

See Rob Zepp Hockey db.  

I have a lot of friends and family playing hockey in Europe and also have or do play in NA in the dub AHL and NHL.

Motte and Gaud's encounter is everyday business.  Gaud for sure got some credit from his teammates for retaliating but probably also got ribbed for throwing like a girl.

Anyway,  It is a good sign that these guys are going at it a little bit.  Ya tough if someone actually gets hurt but that's also part of the deal.

• Cheers 3

On 1/11/2021 at 12:08 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Theres hitting and then there's Motte's play.

He injured Hawryluk with a slew foot and could have easily hurt Gaudette with one.

Theres competing hard and then theres stupidity

Given they are competing for a spot, maybe Motte isn’t that stupid.  That said not a good way to make friends.   

Edited by IBatch

19 hours ago, Provost said:

Firstly, he just said they haven’t been part of a professional hockey team. Plenty of people have. 

Secondly, he was an NHL player. Briefly, but plenty of pro experience.