The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

According to Agent, Podkolzin will sign a contact with the Canucks in April

Rate this topic

AriGold2.0

Someone help me out here, VP signs at end of April.  He Quarantine's for 10 days or so while the NHL season is supposed to conclude on May 8th.  What are the requirements for overseas players to be eligible for playoffs because it looks likely that he'll be arriving during the postseason. 

• Cheers 1

This is what I've found on the matter because, like you, I find it all very confusing.  Still doesn't really outline when he could actually play here and, with COVID changing things, still unclear to me:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/when-can-the-canucks-sign-vasily-podkolzin-its-complicated-coronavirus-3146135

“Technically, his contract goes to the end of the World Championship,” said Benning. “That’s when his contract technically ends.”

The 2021 IIHF World Championship is set to take place from May 21st to June 6th in Riga, Latvia, and Moscow, Russia. If Podkolzin isn’t available to sign with the Canucks until after that tournament, then he wouldn’t be available until after the start of the NHL playoffs, with no guarantee that the Canucks will even be in the postseason.

The NHL needs to complete the playoffs before the start of the Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan due to television contracts. The 2020 Olympics, postponed for a year due to COVID-19, begin July 23rd, and the NHL requires approximately two months for the playoffs.

There’s a distinct possibility, however, that the 2021 World Championship never take place. The IIHF has cancelled dozens of other international tournaments, with only the 2021 World Junior Championship remaining from their winter schedule. If the COVID-19 pandemic forces the cancellation of the 2021 World Championship, then there would be nothing keeping him from signing with the Canucks.

“They haven't been cancelled yet, but I'll be very surprised if they have the World Championships,” said Benning. “Then we can contact the Russian Federation and IIHF and ask them since the World Championships are going to be cancelled, then we can sign him early.” (cont'd.....)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

For a player already being healthy scratched because he won't re-sign, doubling down on how sure he is that he'll leave is definitely a choice. 

He’s not being healthy scratched because of not signing. To much anti Russian media reading. Just like with all players especially young ones they are streaky and also it depends on a number of circumstances. Same thing happens here with players being moved to and from the A and being scratched.

will Podz be a stud player - I’m pretty sure he will be but remember he is still developing 

• Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Someone help me out here, VP signs at end of April.  He Quarantine's for 10 days or so while the NHL season is supposed to conclude on May 8th.  What are the requirements for overseas players to be eligible for playoffs because it looks likely that he'll be arriving during the postseason. 

He can play as soon he signs his ELC - whether regular season or post- season.   He is in the same situation as Makar or Gavrikov who signed their ELCs during the post-season and jumped right in.

Last season the NHL didn’t allow new ELCs to play but things are back to normal this season.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

If Canucks Army speculation that Podkolzin will no longer play for KHL/SKA but instead finish his obligations demoted to the VHL* are true, then we may be starting to see why GM JB is handling this with kid gloves, the KHL et al seem to hold all the cards for Podkolzin to be released and able play in the NHL any earlier than the end of the World Championships, and they are a little testy perhaps, what with the minor media furor about how he is being developed.

Here's hoping we can get him April 30/May 1.

*The VHL is the farm team league, and is somewhat analogous to the AHL. The KHL is made up of teams, many of which are older than the league itself, that are part of a European-style sports club system. The club may have a soccer team, a hockey team, a bandy team and any number of other divisions, including women’s teams, junior teams and a VHL team.  The VHL is run by the Russian Hockey Federation, not the KHL. As the KHL has contracted, and will continue to do so, the VHL is absorbing some of those teams, while its own unprofitable teams are either dropped down a division or dissolved.

46 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Petty

Boeser

Horvat

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Hughes

Juolevi

Demko

Brah! Tell me that is not a dynasty in the making!?!?

It's the best drafting in the history of our organization. 

Nothing more, nothing less. Let's see what they can do.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nux4lyfe said:

Petty

Boeser

Horvat

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Hughes

Juolevi

Demko

It definitely looks that way.  Having that core for the next 10 years would be epic if we can afford them all.

If we can get Podkolzin and Tryamkin over in April, we would add such an additional edge to the team at the exact right time of the season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

It definitely looks that way.  Having that core for the next 10 years would be epic if we can afford them all.

If we can get Podkolzin and Tryamkin over in April, we would add such an additional edge to the team at the exact right time of the season.

Tryamkin wouldn’t be able to play if he came over in April 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Petty

Boeser

Horvat

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Hughes

Juolevi

Demko

Im not too sure about a dynasty, theres a few teams that have as deep if not deeper talent pool as us. The Kings have an incredible amount of talent waiting in the wings, its scary. They could be the team (hopefully along with us!) that could rule the western conference this decade