The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 139 players | Jan. 11, 2021 (Eriksson, Baertschi, Brisebois, Graovac, Sautner, Bailey from Canucks)

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Lucas Johansen has to be considered a disappointment as a 1st rotund pick, on waivers.

I agree with @Azzy

Kylington would be interesting.

Think he could help Ottawa, maybe the Panthers more?

Panthers are probably last on the waiver wire after picking up Juulsen but could benefit from picking up Kylington.  I wonder if the Ducks might pick up Kylington as an option they may consider superior to Hutton (who just signed a PTO).

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Always wondered what happened to this guy, nice to see he took up dancing after his singing career.

Unfortunately, he passed the next year from natural causes. So from dancing naturally. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok, so tell me a transaction you deem to be bad out of the gate at the time when the transaction occurred.

A few of top of head and sprinkled over time

-Vancouver Signing Luongo to a 10 year contract

- Edmonton signing Milan Lucic

- Edmonton drafting essentially the same player (offensive talent, nothing else) for several drafts in a row when gifted so many high picks and so have wasted a generational talent and continue to do so

- Edmonton hiring Chia

- Vancouver signing Mark Messier

- Calgary trading Brett Hull when he was exactly what they needed 

- Buffalo signing Taylor Hall to a 1 year contract

- Toronto trading for Phil Kessel

- Boston Red Sox signing David Price (love baseball so had to include one)

- Florida signing Bobrovski

In all of the above, there were no firm reasons to do any of them as better options existed and so there was little sense.   LE signing made sense to Linden given what he felt the Sedins could use and LE was a solid performer at that stage of his career and the market dictated those terms/cost.    None of the above fit what was trying to be accomplished at the respective times.   Vancouver would not have lost Luongo singing a shorter deal OR they could have gone to the "goalie of the future" sooner if it was cap move.   It seemed bad overall out of the gate.   Vancouver did not have a viable option for the Sedins to play with the year LE was signed in the eyes of the team.    

In hindsight, it was a bad move.   Agreed.    At the time, though I would not have done it I understand it.    The above and many more never made sense to anyone.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This is only in hindsight (which is often 20/20).  At the time it was decent value for a bit of a long contract on the expectation the Sedins would still be playing after their last contract.

As for the worst... Mark Messier says, "Chip?"  

hqdefault.jpg

I’m not one to defend Messier for what he did to this franchise, but at least Messier was somewhat productive (offensively) for a 37 yrs old, during his time here. Can’t really say the same for Eriksson, who was coming off a 30 goals season, in Boston.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

- Edmonton drafting essentially the same player (offensive talent, nothing else) for several drafts in a row when gifted so many high picks and so have wasted a generational talent and continue to do so

- Edmonton hiring Chia

In all of the above, there were no firm reasons to do any of them as better options existed and so there was little sense.   LE signing made sense to Linden given what he felt the Sedins could use and LE was a solid performer at that stage of his career and the market dictated those terms/cost.    None of the above fit what was trying to be accomplished at the respective times.   Vancouver would not have lost Luongo singing a shorter deal OR they could have gone to the "goalie of the future" sooner if it was cap move.   It seemed bad overall out of the gate.   Vancouver did not have a viable option for the Sedins to play with the year LE was signed in the eyes of the team.    

In hindsight, it was a bad move.   Agreed.    At the time, though I would not have done it I understand it.    The above and many more never made sense to anyone.

Lol, I thought you'd come up with a better list than that.  I'll let our fellow CDCers decide... but based on your logic, those transactions made plenty of rational sense when they were made... hence they were not bad transactions (again, based on your logic).

-Vancouver Signing Luongo to a 10 year contract - we all know (if you followed the NHL at the time) that teams were signing players to these long term deals to lower the average cap hit.  Canucks did what others did, but the NHL chose the Canucks to be made an example of... hence the Luongo recapture cap hit.  At the time, it made a ton of sense. 

- Edmonton signing Milan Lucic - you gotta be kidding here... the Canucks were in on Lucic too... but they ended up with LE.  Those 2 were the most coveted UFAs that offseason.  Again, made total sense AT THE TIME.  So with your logic, again, NOT a bad transaction.

- Edmonton drafting essentially the same player (offensive talent, nothing else) for several drafts in a row when gifted so many high picks and so have wasted a generational talent and continue to do so - most teams around the league would have done exactly what the Oilers did.  DRAFT THE BPA... that's the mantra around the league.  It wasn't drafting that was their downfall... it  was rushing their prospects into the league in hopes they were all gonna figure things out on their own.  So again, based on your logic, NOT a bad transaction. 

- Edmonton hiring Chia - Chia was a Stanley Cup winning and accomplished GM that was available at the time.  It made a ton of sense for them to bring him on.  Why wouldn't they?  Who would have known how bad he would be without GMJB.  So again, at the time, it made sense.  So by your logic, this wasn't a bad transaction either.

- Vancouver signing Mark Messier - Really?  AT THE TIME, he was MARK friggin MESSIER.  The Messiah.  We had 2 elite wingers in Mogilny and Bure that needed a star centre.  The Gretzky fiasco fell through, so we brought in who we thought would lead the Canucks to the promised land.  Who would have thought it would turn out that badly?  I still remember the headlines on the local newspapers "He's OURS!" .... again, AT THE TIME, it made a TON of sense.  In hindsight?  It was brutal.... BUT... based on your logic, this would be considered a good transaction lol. 

- Calgary trading Brett Hull when he was exactly what they needed - HUH?  The Flames were LOADED up front... Loob, Mcdonald, Nieuwendyk, Mullen, Otto, Tonelli, Bullard, etc etc... They had Macinnis and Suter at the time and then it dropped off.  They needed Ramage WAY more than Hull.  In fact, they won a cup shortly after that trade.  In hindsight, who would have thought Hull would become an NHL legend?  Well, doesn't matter... AT THE TIME, the transaction made a ton of sense for the Flames... so based on your logic, it was a great transaction.

- Buffalo signing Taylor Hall to a 1 year contract - To keep their superstar Eichel happy?  This makes a TON of sense especially with the short term of the contract.  How is this even considered a bad transaction?  Most experts and analysts think this was a smart move by Buffalo.

- Toronto trading for Phil Kessel - Did you even follow the NHL before?  Did you realize the Leafs top 3 scorers prior to bringing in a 40 goal scoring young Kessel were Jason Blake, Alex Ponikarovsky, and Matt Stajan?  The Leafs did what they felt was needed at the time.  It MADE SENSE.  So by your logic, this was NOT a bad transaction.

- Boston Red Sox signing David Price (love baseball so had to include one) - sorry, I don't follow baseball

- Florida signing Bobrovski - Bob was a HUGELY coveted goalie... why would Florida not jump on that when they had nothing in their system?  This made a lot of sense for them. 

In hindsight, some of the above transactions were TERRIBLE.... but that's in hindsight, and we know you don't believe we should evaluate transactions that way.  We should always look at when the transaction occurred... so therefore, all of the above transactions were good transactions!  LMAO! 

Bonus:  With Edmonton trading Gretzky, based on your logic, it made sense for the owner of the Oilers at the time, so therefore, it is a good transaction!  hahaha

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Svechnikov is kind of a surprise to me. Does he have a cap that teams can't take in or something? 

Seen him play a few times and is super skilled but reminds me sooooo much of Goldobin in that both were lower half first round picks, both are incredible with puck skills and such and both seemingly struggle when you put other bodies on the ice that want the puck more.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

OMG perfect.  "ON IT"

I’ve had no luck finding it now <_<

it literally said welcome to the team. I thought it was real for a moment as did other after reading all the comments but it was a joke 

maybe they deleted it :frantic:

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This is only in hindsight (which is often 20/20).  At the time it was decent value for a bit of a long contract on the expectation the Sedins would still be playing after their last contract.

As for the worst... Mark Messier says, "Chip?"  

hqdefault.jpg

And that Loui would play well with the Sedins, overall  hell most of us thought he’d be way better than he was. From that goal he put in our own net.. lol oh well goodbye for now at least Loui e! 

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

- Edmonton hiring Chia

My timeline on Eriksson deal:

1. Oh my goodness, this was a horrible signing Benning. Brutal. This makes no sense whatsoever with where the team is at.

2. OK, but it’s done. So let’s see what good can come from it. Maybe he can create some chemistry with the Sedins and provide some leadership to the youth movement.

3. Scores on his own goal in first game. But maybe he’ll get things together.

4. Five games into the season he’s already created a vision of the next years  of our time together.

5. Years later, I wish Canuck fans could give him some grace and let him leave with some dignity despite a horrible overall experience over these last few years

• Wat 1