The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 139 players | Jan. 11, 2021 (Eriksson, Baertschi, Brisebois, Graovac, Sautner, Bailey from Canucks)

1 hour ago, mll said:

All 4 claims were from the Canadian division.  Forsberg (EDM) and Comrie (WPG) were expected to be their teams’ 3rd goalie.  Sbisa was also going to be assigned to the taxi squad.  

I think SJ claimed Balcers too. (Originally traded to OTT, but SJ seems to value him a lot)

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Is it through laziness, or habit, that posters keep saying we lost Markstrom because of the cap?

Laziness.    Have to say though, one has to wonder if Demko came in and played just ok, say around .900sp, and our team actually pulled through until game seven and we lost because of a goal here and there in each game if Markstrom wouldn’t be here right now - with exactly the same contract.   Factually Markstrom was our MVP the past two seasons.   Not happy he’s in Calgary- but looking forward to creating a proper rivalry with them again.  And not at all a fan of his contract.   JB did the right thing for the teams window for sure. 

Edited by IBatch

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Not particularly 'surprising' really - he's more serviceable than generally perceived.

Sbisa was claimed by Vegas from us in the E.D. - to the shock of the "pizza" chirpers here...

Earned a top 4 spot there amongst a battalion of #4 NHL D - had 14 pts in 30 games, +8 while getting 41.8% ozone starts (19:31 game), before getting injured there.   Not surprising he'd deal with injuries, either, considering how heavy a game he plays at a modest 204lbs.

Last year in Winnipeg - 10 pts in 44 games (+1) - was a primary penalty killer when he was in the lineup - 91 hits and 71 blocks....

A better player than the crowd here - that sandbags virtually every depth/hard minutes player that comes through Vancouver - ever realized.

Good for him - he works and plays hard and has an NHL skillset to work with.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

On 1/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, mll said:

Depth.  They will likely be on the taxi squad.

Sorry I missed the class. What is the taxi squad?

Answered my own question thanks.

In sports, the practice squad, also called the taxi squador practice roster, is a group of players signed by a team but not part of their main roster.”

Edited by Me_

On 1/11/2021 at 7:25 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Seen him play a few times and is super skilled but reminds me sooooo much of Goldobin in that both were lower half first round picks, both are incredible with puck skills and such and both seemingly struggle when you put other bodies on the ice that want the puck more.

Ah makes sense. I knew he had incredible skill but yeah didn't see him much either but figured some team would take a flyer on him as he's young too. 

18 hours ago, oldnews said:

you watch a lot of Utica, do you?

Bailey 'deserved' it more than MacEwen?

Lol nooooo not a chance. Mac should be a shoe in on this team if you watched Utica. I just think Bailey also deserves it. His game I think is better suited for the nhl than the AHL in my opinion. 

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Ah makes sense. I knew he had incredible skill but yeah didn't see him much either but figured some team would take a flyer on him as he's young too. 

In a more normal year, taking a flyer on him would be a good idea and particularly for an organization like Vancouver who has "tough love" coaches both in AHL and NHL as likely that is what this kid needs.   Easily an NHL talent but talent alone does not get you to the NHL let alone allows you to stay.

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Lol nooooo not a chance. Mac should be a shoe in on this team if you watched Utica. I just think Bailey also deserves it. His game I think is better suited for the nhl than the AHL in my opinion. 

So both MacEwen and Bailey should be on the team?   Anyone else in Utica that should be on team? 

How many forwards do you propose to carry?  Who gets waived for them?

Don't get me wrong - I like Bailey and think he's excellent depth with a really good skillset, but the reality is that there are only so many spots - so who on the roster deserves it less?