The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 139 players | Jan. 11, 2021 (Eriksson, Baertschi, Brisebois, Graovac, Sautner, Bailey from Canucks)

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Waivers] 139 players | Jan. 11, 2021 (Eriksson, Baertschi, Brisebois, Graovac, Sautner, Bailey from Canucks)
1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by six players.

The following players have been designated for assignment as of 9am PT today. They will be assigned in 24 hours following confirmation they have cleared waivers.

• Justin Bailey, Right Wing
  • Sven Baertschi, Left Wing
  • Guillaume Brisebois, Defenceman
  • Loui Eriksson, Left Wing
  • Tyler Graovac, Left Wing
  • Ashton Sautner, Defenceman

No surprises here, really.

I hope LE is headed for Utica

I hope that Bailey, Baertschi, Brisbois, Graovac and Sautner are all part of the taxi squad.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
26 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

wondering if you could build  1 or 2 solid nhl teams with some of the guys on the waivers today.  :lol:

That would be more like the expansion process the Canucks received than the gifting that LA and Seattle received/will receive.

Still can't believe I was one of those who wanted Kylington with our 23rd pick over Boeser, lool.

Also, as much as Tyler Johnson is the best name on that list, he comes at $5.0M for another 4 years including this season. Hard pass, but very solid player. 

• Hydration 1

I still think Justin Bailey needs to be given a chance with this club. It's a shame he's never granted the opportunity despite having some great traits that could help the team. 

• Hydration 2
7 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Still can't believe I was one of those who wanted Kylington with our 23rd pick over Boeser, lool.

Also, as much as Tyler Johnson is the best name on that list, he comes at $5.0M for another 4 years including this season. Hard pass, but very solid player. 

TJ's had his wrist injury and ever since he's been... not quite the same as he was when he broke in and did great. He was waived last season at the beginning too, no takers then.

And he's still cheaper and better than Loui.

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Names that stood out to me are Nick Holden and Lucas Johansen.

Today is a nightmare for the asset management crew of 2015.

It's also a nightmare for the "tank for picks" crew. As every year is when the number of first and second round "cant miss" prospects that get waived 4-5 years later.

8 minutes ago, brownky said:

It's also a nightmare for the "tank for picks" crew. As every year is when the number of first and second round "cant miss" prospects that get waived 4-5 years later.

i hate teams that tank. Disgusted by the lack of foresight. "Tank For Nail Yakupov" is a good example but also who was drafted  before the twins in their year? exactly. haha. Tank for that guy? lol

If fact, I would love to see the bottom three teams draft the last three picks before the playoff teams as a guaranteed placement, in reverse order of finish. 

THen the other non playoff teams stack up like normal for the draft lotto.

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Upvote 1

Hate to be 'like that' but I am a bit pleased to see LE on waivers...  

unrelated - I wonder what the likelihood of cross border claims are?

In any event, hope Brisebois and Sautner in particular remain with the org but suspect the trend of very few claims will continue.

Nick Holden is a guy that might claim if he weren't at 1.7 million - if he'd fit within Benn's waivable cap... someone higher in the cue might/will probably claim him.

Hicketts - wish the ole Royal the best.

Merkeley (in SM-Liga) and Kylington a couple interesting waives.

Derek Ryan will be interesting to see....

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
21 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I still think Justin Bailey needs to be given a chance with this club. It's a shame he's never granted the opportunity despite having some great traits that could help the team. 

Bailey was recalled and played a few NHL games last year.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

My phone almost broke laughing and adding wat? To almost every post on here.   Does this mean our team is finally good enough to finally move on from this bad signing!   I think so. miraculous recovery GIF