The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 139 players | Jan. 11, 2021 (Eriksson, Baertschi, Brisebois, Graovac, Sautner, Bailey from Canucks)

5 hours ago, nucksnavsfan said:

I’ve had no luck finding it now <_<

it literally said welcome to the team. I thought it was real for a moment as did other after reading all the comments but it was a joke 

maybe they deleted it :frantic:

It was from a joke account not the Calgary official one 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If this happened here, people would be blowing this out of proportion of poor cap management.

actually it happened a few months ago when the Canucks lost his MVP in Markstom to the archrival Calgary Flames, because of "poor cap management". I mean poor cap management in that way that Jim signed depth players for way too much money in the past which led to the departure of Markstrom. Losing a starter goalie in his prime hurts more than losing a player well beyond his prime (Perry)..

And yes, I think that the Canucks fans reaction to the departure of Markstrom was fully justified.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 2

9 hours ago, nzan said:

My timeline on Eriksson deal:

1. Oh my goodness, this was a horrible signing Benning. Brutal. This makes no sense whatsoever with where the team is at.

2. OK, but it’s done. So let’s see what good can come from it. Maybe he can create some chemistry with the Sedins and provide some leadership to the youth movement.

3. Scores on his own goal in first game. But maybe he’ll get things together.

4. Five games into the season he’s already created a vision of the next years  of our time together.

5. Years later, I wish Canuck fans could give him some grace and let him leave with some dignity despite a horrible overall experience over these last few years

Mine was a bit different but not by much:

1.  Not a fan of the deal due to term but the fit could be good.   Fully understand what Linden/Ownership want to do for Sedins but I would prefer a teardown as I don't see the other pieces and the closet of prospects is bare.

2.   Similar to yours

3.  Meh, those things happen (to even the greatest players)

4.   Whatever magic the three of them created on the world stage as one of Sweden's go to top lines doesn't translate to their time in Vancouver - LE actually seems to be quicker than Sedins and Sedins seem to miss the grit they need to cycle

5.  Similar to yours and the only other thing of the legacy is the messy divorce with Linden

Cheers

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

actually it happened a few months ago when the Canucks lost his MVP in Markstom to the archrival Calgary Flames, because of "poor cap management". I mean poor cap management in that way that Jim signed depth players for way too much money in the past which led to the departure of Markstrom. Losing a starter goalie in his prime hurts more that losing a player well beyond his prime (Perry)..

And yes, I think that the Canucks fans reaction to the departure of Markstrom was fully justified.

I would agree if we didn't sign arguably the 2nd best goalie on the market and upgrading our defense despite these "cap problems".

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

actually it happened a few months ago when the Canucks lost his MVP in Markstom to the archrival Calgary Flames, because of "poor cap management". I mean poor cap management in that way that Jim signed depth players for way too much money in the past which led to the departure of Markstrom. Losing a starter goalie in his prime hurts more than losing a player well beyond his prime (Perry)..

You would be fine with Markstrom in Vancouver still with his new Calgary deal?    What do you do with Demko then?    

You are looking at this thing too much in a vacuum and clearly want it to be a bad move.   Canucks had to deal with this either this season or next and the market drove the decision.   Markstrom was offered a contract and likely for similar AAV he has in Calgary so the CAP management was NOT the issue.   The issue was and is term.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Mine was a bit different but not by much:

1.  Not a fan of the deal due to term but the fit could be good.   Fully understand what Linden/Ownership want to do for Sedins but I would prefer a teardown as I don't see the other pieces and the closet of prospects is bare.

2.   Similar to yours

3.  Meh, those things happen (to even the greatest players)

4.   Whatever magic the three of them created on the world stage as one of Sweden's go to top lines doesn't translate to their time in Vancouver - LE actually seems to be quicker than Sedins and Sedins seem to miss the grit they need to cycle

5.  Similar to yours and the only other thing of the legacy is the messy divorce with Linden

Cheers

Here is mine:

1). Oh good, we brought in someone who scored 30 goals and he should be good for 20-25 goals in his first 2 years here. He can be the Sedins wingman for 2 years. Then his production should start to drop and he can still be a good mentor for our young players for the next 2-3 years. We will either just ride out his 1-2 years or ship him out with an incentive.

2). He scored in his own net in his debut. That's ok, $&!#s happens he also played a good shift and picked up an assist in the game tieing goal late in the 3rd period he will be find.

3). End of October, he still hasn't scored: Man Vancouver really isn't a good fit for him.

4). After poor year 1: he should have a better season next year, because it can't get any worse.

5). After year 2: Ok, I guess we will never see prime LE, but he should still be a good mentor for Pettersson who will come into the league as a rookie.

6). After year 3: Completely given up any hope of him turning his career around, he will only get worse and won't get any better. No one will pick him up and we will be stuck with him until his contract expires/bought out.

51 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

130+ players on waivers and Luca is one of the 4 that gets claimed. 

So happy. Not many better "men" out there... 

Great guy, great player. Wish him the best. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We didn't lose Markstrom because of cap. We lost Markstrom because of Demko, the ED and (rightly) not remotely wanting to commit to a 6 year term given the first two things.

Markstrom was never coming back. 

Is it through laziness, or habit, that posters keep saying we lost Markstrom because of the cap?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3