The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evander Kane files for Bankruptcy

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

52.9m earned so far in his career and only has 10m worth of assets and 26m in debt.

I feel ZERO remorse for this athlete who should be wealthier than all of us on this forum...but yet he is broke as &^@#!!!

Cry some more mr. Kane...we don't care...and it has nothing to do with the colour of your skin either...so get that thru your thick, empty skull

So you state it has nothing to do with the color of his skin at the end of your banal post, but preface it with statements stating that black people are the worst with their money. 

Please advise everyone of your vast financial knowledge. I’m sure you’re dying to. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While Evander may have made some bad decisions with money, he’s proven to be a solid person at times, especially in his hometown. 

Not only has he supported people in the downtown east side by buying pizza and water for hundreds (and handed it out personally), I also witnessed the guy buy lunch for a destitute man who sits in front of a local grocery store in my neighborhood. No cameras or reporters were present. It was just a thoughtful man helping out someone less fortunate. 

I hope Evander gets things back on track for himself and his wife and daughter. Hopefully his extended family helps by not leaning so heavily on him too. 

That's great and all but any working person can afford to buy a cheap food item for a homeless person outside of a grocery store. For a millionaire athlete the comparison would be donating tens of thousands of dollars to shelters and food banks...more than just once too.

But, you are correct he has shown a couple nice gestures in Van City, guess those pics of him with the $ phone back in the day was just a glimpse into his poor spending and gambling issue.

It is sad, but if I had even a couple million I would retire and live a decent life, let alone if a made millions per year for nearly a decade and counting like him...

56 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

i don't want to be rude but why do alot of African athletics become bankrupt? I remember espn did a documentary on it and Marjory of the athletics they interviews were black. You see stuff like Alvin Kamara get his teeth diamonded and then you look around, you see white, brown, Asian athletics don't really do dumb stuff like that. So would i be surprised if Kamara files for bankruptcy in a few years nope. Its just sad that you see African athletics spend there money in really dumb ways, compared to white, brown, Asian athletics

I don't know the stats behind it, nor am i familiar with the espn documentary. But the underlying factors are socioeconomic status and education. Black people are more likely to come from a lower level of socioeconomic upbringing. This corresponds with having lower education, poorer health, more dependents and so on. There are also cultural differences as well. Add in the fact that sports, not education, has been these guys life for 15+ years, this leaves them susceptible to making poor financial decisions. All that being said, each situation is different and it is not only race. Kane grew up in Tsawwassen so a lot of the socioeconomic challenges that may plague someone growing up in Compton likely didn't affect Kane. It has happened to more white people in NHL than black because there are more white NHLers. Donald Brashear and now Kane are the ones that stand out for me. But there was that other guy who was discovered to be homeless a few years back, his name escapes me. I don't know how much of it is race though.. in sports sure because I think more black people are likely to play in the NBA and NFL. The NFL paycheque can disappear FAST. Tyson in boxing is another one. There have been a lot of white celebrities, outside of sports, that have had similar challenges I'm sure.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So you state it has nothing to do with the color of his skin at the end of your banal post, but preface it with statements stating that black people are the worst with their money. 

Please advise everyone of your vast financial knowledge. I’m sure you’re dying to. 

I got little financial knowledge....but what I do know is, you DONT spend more than you make!!! Should be pretty simple knowledge even he should know

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

dude  white people that win lotteries buy stupid stuff like monster trucks , exotic pets ,million dollar cars , is jack johnson black? he is in the same boat as evander 

JJ trusted his parents and it back fired...It was a dumb move but I guess he thought he would have pulled an E. Kane on his own....little did he know his own parents would screw him...

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can recall an immense douchebag who’s Caucasian who’s gone bankrupt six times. But yeah, black folk are bad with cash...

Hate on Trump all you want but he is a shrewd business man and that is what they do.. 

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For all we know you could still be living in your parents basement lol? 

Don't attack someones opinion just because they aren't super wealthy.. 

From my time on CDC I doubt there are many millionaires on this site. 

19 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

JJ trusted his parents and it back fired...It was a dumb move but I guess he thought he would have pulled an E. Kane on his own....little did he know his own parents would screw him...

lol ya his mom and dad lived the lifestyle on his dime , just like evander supporting 7 other people , doesn't matter the colour of your skin, 

23 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I don't know the stats behind it, nor am i familiar with the espn documentary. But the underlying factors are socioeconomic status and education. Black people are more likely to come from a lower level of socioeconomic upbringing. This corresponds with having lower education, poorer health, more dependents and so on. There are also cultural differences as well. Add in the fact that sports, not education, has been these guys life for 15+ years, this leaves them susceptible to making poor financial decisions. All that being said, each situation is different and it is not only race. Kane grew up in Tsawwassen so a lot of the socioeconomic challenges that may plague someone growing up in Compton likely didn't affect Kane. It has happened to more white people in NHL than black because there are more white NHLers. Donald Brashear and now Kane are the ones that stand out for me. But there was that other guy who was discovered to be homeless a few years back, his name escapes me. I don't know how much of it is race though.. in sports sure because I think more black people are likely to play in the NBA and NFL. The NFL paycheque can disappear FAST. Tyson in boxing is another one. There have been a lot of white celebrities, outside of sports, that have had similar challenges I'm sure.

One of the greatest NHL defenseman of all time - Doug Harvey - lived in a rail car at the end of his life (granted the rail car used be used by the PM John Diefenbacker [sp?].  To be sure, times were different then (where the players worked for peanuts and the owners had all the control).  Read the book "Net Worth" for more information.

1 minute ago, drummer4now said:

Hate on Trump all you want but he is a shrewd business man and that is what they do.. 

He’s not. He received money from his father and has exploited the situation ever since. The fact that you think he’s shrewd is very telling. 

Warren Buffett is a shrewd businessman. Bill Gates is a shrewd businessman. Trump is a trust fund baby. 

For all we know you could still be living in your parents basement lol? 

The most tired staple on the internet.

At least try to bring something slightly intelligent to the discussion. If possible, which I’m thinking may not be based on the post I’m responding to. At least try. 

Don't attack someones opinion just because they aren't super wealthy.

Or what? Will you scold me? Come to my mom’s basement and teach me a lesson? I won’t be there though. Sorry. 

If you had any sense in your head, you’d realize that I’m not attacking the poster’s monetary situation whatsoever, more so their tendency in this thread to focus on race over upbringing. But then again, you’d have to have sense.  

From my time on CDC I doubt there are many millionaires on this site. 

How would your “time on the CDC” give you any insight into a person’s actual life? How many people here share their 401Ks, outside of one poster unsuccessfully? Most post here anonymously so your powers of deduction are probably wasted here. Maybe take that blazingly powerful insight and help CSIS stop money laundering. 

• Cheers 2

Didn’t Allen Iverson had a net worth of over 200 million at one point in his career before filing for bankruptcy.   Can’t understand how athletes can burn through so much money so quickly.   At some point you’d think these guys would stop and say hey!! Maybe I should save .  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So was Bernie Madoff.

Both were grifters - that's where their skills were in.

Yeah but this man was a con artist who stole peoples money with schemes. 

There is no record of Trump stealing from other people; only bending existing laws and regulations. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Yeah but this man was a con artist who stole peoples money with schemes. 

There is no record of Trump stealing from other people; only bending existing laws and regulations. 

Constantly leaving vendors/creditors holding the bag on debts is his speciality.  Conceptually, it's the same thing from my point of view.  We'll have to agree to disagree.  Madoff just took it on a clearly different level.

(Dotard University, etc.,)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3