The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evander Kane files for Bankruptcy

Rate this topic

36 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

All of these posters are nothing but miserable haters.. that is all! 

It is not your business if he marries trophy wives or does this with his money.. Grow up!

lol I am far from miserable and didn't mention Trumps personal life choices. I'm sure he loves Melania. You asked if I would want to be the POTUS or a billionaire. I said, in short, sure but not if it meant being Trump. Being pres would be way too stressful for me to pursue it, but I could probably be paid enough money to do it. Neing president isn't like being a king in the 13th century, as much as trump may have liked it to be.

As for trump's presidency, nothing that I said is incorrect. If by the end of your presidency you are being impeached for the second time, may have the 25th amendment invoked, and you are being considered a possible national security risk - you have failed. Period.

Edit: I'm happy to move this to trump thread. Sorry for derailing

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

lol I am far from miserable and didn't mention Trumps personal life choices. I'm sure he loves Melania. You asked if I would want to be the POTUS or a billionaire. I said, in short, sure but not if it meant being Trump. Being pres would be way too stressful for me to pursue it, but I could probably be paid enough money to do it. Neing president isn't like being a king in the 13th century, as much as trump may have liked it to be.

As for trump's presidency, nothing that I said is incorrect. If by the end of your presidency you are being impeached for the second time, may have the 25th amendment invoked, and you are being considered a possible national security risk - you have failed. Period.

I think we should stick to the topic and not derail anymore... 

apologies for aiding in derailing the topic. 

17 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Did you also take into account that both individuals were born in different time periods? and had different upbringings.. 

16 years apart constitutes different time periods?

Trumps parents sold homes to middle class families while buffets parents as you mentioned had political connections.

Either way there many pathways to become wealthy and not one way is the correct way. 

Can we say that Trump is more successful then both of us combined lol unless you're a closet billionaire... 

Fred did sell houses to middle income predominantly white Anglo Saxon families. As well he was investigated by a US Senate committee for profiteering in 1954, and again by NY State in 1966. Donald became the president of his father's real estate business in 1971, and they were sued by the US Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division in 1973 due to violation of the Fair Housing Act.

He conducted numerous fraudulent business schemes to help Donald. He eventually transferred that somewhat ill begotten wealth to his kids, including that mental defect Donald, which amounted to more than a billion dollars. The buildings were the majority of the wealth and were sold by the “hard working, shrewd” kids in 1997 for 16 times there initial value. The kids dodged hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes.   

Yeah Donald is reaaaal shrewd alright. This isn’t political or have anything to do with the presidency, as I know there is already a thread for that. 

I’m not jealous of Trump. He’s a loathsome person from a particularly loathsome bloodline. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
The font inconsistency makes this look like a ransom note.
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I believe that’s my fault. :lol:

• Haha 2

You get sucked into this lavish lifestyle and you start to live way above your means.

Eventually you run out of money and become SOL, happened to lot of athletes.

Marino, Sapp, Young, Sprewell etc. Vin Baker works at Starbucks now, not that there is anything wrong with that but that just goes to show you. He had other issues as well that contributed to his loss of money.

I remember a couple of months ago, there were rumors that Evander Kane and social media star Jake Paul may enter the ring. This explains a lot as to why Evander Kane was even engaging in those talks -- he needed the money despite being in the midst of his monster San Jose Sharks deal.

The truth is, hockey players are the most underpaid athletes in the major North American sports. The fact that Connor McDavid's salary is only on par to what an average NBA veteran bench player makes is kind of sad.

I think it would be stupid for Kane to opt out of his deal or terminate it completely. It sounds like he could pay off the debt by finishing out his contract. The one good thing about the NHL, when it comes to the players, is that NHL contracts are guaranteed... it's not like the NFL or NBA where deals can be partially guaranteed or there's player/team options... it's all guaranteed. So Evander, if he sees the contract through, does have a path out because -- if I'm not mistaken -- the remainder of his deal is worth more than the debt he has. We also don't know what kind of endorsement deals he has and if there are side ventures he's been a part of that are making any money -- although it seems doubtful he's got many of those given how he's losing 91k a month.

The truth is -- Evander, from what I've heard from folks in Vancouver who've worked at places he'd use to party at when he was home, was a huge party boy who traveled a lot, blew big money everywhere he went, was a notorious gambler, who was more into being flashy than saving his money responsibly. He clearly didn't have any financial advisors who had his back and it seems like his entire family piggybacked on him to earn all the money. From the dependents he has listed, the two Uncles and his sister, should be cut off first. I'm not sure why the Uncles are there. I get helping the Sister, she's only 27, but she's now at an age where she should be out of University and working a steady job. I get helping your grandpa and your parents out but it all has to make sense financially.

The thing a lot of athletes forget about is that they're so young. By the time they're in there late 20's/early to mid 30's, they're being told how old they are, how they're a veteran, how the best years are behind them -- but in truth, in society nowadays, that's when life begins for most people. Most people start finding stability at that age whereas athletes are finding instability. And those athletes forget that these major league pay cheques will mostly stop 40. And that they've got a whole lot of life to live after hockey.

Hopefully Evander Kane can find himself a way out of this mess and that his mistakes can be learning tools for other star hockey players coming into the league. Lucky for Evander, he's still pretty young, is on a long term deal, and should be able to find his way out of the mess he created... but that said, he's clearly not gonna have the amount of money at the end of his career that many would expect and I wouldn't be shocked if he plays a couple of years in Europe in his late 30's to make up for some of the cash he lost out on by being an idiot with his money.

The lesson is, if you come into a windfall... hire a financial advisor and listen to them. Preferably from a major bank that knows what they are doing.

1 minute ago, Quantum said:

The truth is, hockey players are the most underpaid athletes in the major North American sports

They are paid accordingly to how much they bring in, compared to the other major sports in North America. They are paid less, because the sport doesn't bring in as much as the other NA sports.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Quantum said:

The lesson is, if you come into a windfall... hire a financial advisor and listen to them. Preferably from a major bank that knows what they are doing.

Even if you don't.  i took the free session offered by my credit union and went from living paycheck to paycheck to having enough savings to consider not working for an extended period of time in order to work on the bucket list.  No change in income.

• Cheers 4

11 minutes ago, Quantum said:

The truth is,

Truth? Who's truth? My pov, is pro puck players are the most REASONably compensated of all these pro gamesmen. They're all overpaid, & that's the Truth!

Decades back it got outa' whack. One reason I haven't been watching pro sport(save my vice, pro ice hockey), for 3 decades.

• Wat 1

I know his family is living with him.... and that he's an adult... but at what point should his parents actually step in and go, "Son.... stop buying all this crap and save up some money!"?  Or maybe his grandma going, "You'd better return that gold watch or I'm gonna break my foot on your a**!"

Sometimes agents should start getting into the financial management business too.  Not just getting their clients the best contract possible, but tie it up that if you want to be a client of his firm, you must have portions of your earnings to be delegate to a certified financial planner, etc.  

1 hour ago, Monteeun said:

Correct me if i'm wrong. Trump is not a billionaire. I believe he went broke twice.

Or am i misreading you guys?

Getting off-topic, but....

Companies he owned as went bankrupt or companies that he has licensed his name to has went bankrupt.  But he himself has never declared bankruptcy.  Much like the local Trump Tower in Vancouver.... the company that licensed his name went under.  Either than Trump cashing in the cheque that company wrote to him, he has nothing to do with the company.

Much like if you own a business and it's going under, so you just declare the business bankrupt and just more or less move on  It doesn't automatically mean the bank will be chasing you down, taking all your personal belongings and you'll be forced to live under a bridge (depend on the type of liability though).  

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How many parents pay you through college, and give you millions to start, in addition to other gift's and allowances he was granted.

When you have no debt, and banks will loan you whatever you need because Daddy is the fall back. That's not self made. 

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. 

Michael Jordan's "And I Took That Personally" | Know Your Meme

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Yup.  Agreed.  
But that really take away from what I was talking about.  
There is a common theme when you see the stars that lost their money.  

In this one, yeah, it looks like he was just stupid and probably has a gambling problem. Lol. 
That and supporting 7 people a fancy lifestyle isn’t cheap.  

thats his bad  he makes 7 mill a yr  obviously hes clueless that being said if i made 7 mill a yr id be set for life  let alone 50 mill

buy a nice ranch in the hills a  town house in the city   all with solar power set ups  few mill in bank for interest  that pays property tax  and up keep and your good for life

• Cheers 1