The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

From what I noticed in this game is that Hoglander really earned Greener's trust. Besides Petey, Hughes and Boes, he had a decent chunk of ice time (16minutes) compared to Zack and Gauds. 

Really show how much Hogs impressed him during camp. Benning and Co really hit a homerun with that pick

• Like 1

For a 1st pre-season game it was ok!

Thoughts of the game

1. Not a bad win when your leading scorer is away

2. Boeser was shooting rockets

3. Edler played well

4. Holtby not responsible for 2 of those goals.......solid game

5. Gaudette pretty decent game (no big defensive gaps)

6. Schmidt came as advertised

7. Hamonic played well considering the circumstances

8. I thought Myers played well

9. Great play by Huggie on Boeser 2nd goal.........Orrish, especially because he was tripped!!!!!!

10. Hoglander's offensive game is top 6......I really like how he used his Dmen (Lots)

11. Hoglander......nice passes, high energy

12. Hoglander.....needs to bear down defensively (he will see when he sees the replays)

13. Clutch early goal by Horvat

14. Pearson had a great game

15. Juolevi played pretty good overall (a work in progress, but he looks smart!)

16. Nice to see the PK do so well

17.......They have to get a better play by play guy.......I mean they really have to!

18. I teared up on the Moss video...what a character....made me smile! 

That's it....great to have hockey back!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

23 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Nils Hoglander playing like this isn't the best league in the world.

Brock Boeser has his shot back. Holy &^@#, how I missed this.

He played great, but he's got a major advantage on most of the guys......he's been in game shape since october

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, warrchief said:

From what I noticed in this game is that Hoglander really earned Greener's trust. Besides Petey, Hughes and Boes, he had a decent chunk of ice time (16minutes) compared to Zack and Gauds. 

Really show how much Hogs impressed him during camp. Benning and Co really hit a homerun with that pick

Similar to what another Swedish rookie did a couple of years ago...

So much to like in this game. Vintage Brock....maybe the best I’ve ever seen him skate and maybe even shoot. That one off the rush was insane. Hughes doing Hughes things, Petey with a ridiculous rink wide bank pass to spring Brock. Gaudette with the wicked one timer and you are reminded of his sniping pedigree at Northeastern. Some flat footed moments from the D-core a few times. Olli was benched in the third but no shame in that since it’s common practice to play the horses when protecting a lead. I think Olli will continue to be a “work in progress” of sorts for a while but you can see what kind of player he will become. Bo is an absolute stud and we are so fortunate to have him as Captain Canuck. Jake was more involved in third after being mostly invisible for the two previous periods. Myers doesn’t deserve the hate he sometimes gets. 

The scary thing is, as good as some of the individual performances were, we have room to play so much better as a cohesive unit. Look forward to doing it all over again tomorrow, this time with Demko!

• Cheers 1

I’m just genuinely happy for Boeser. He’s obviously worked hard and wants it bad. 

I think back to last year when he was on the third line and in the playoffs how he battled. I knew it would start to pay off for him 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Hoglander with a 2 point advantage in the rookie race. GREAT debut from Hoggy. 

Brock looks a lot faster and is shooting more, which is a great sign. 

Petey/Quinn/Bo/Pearson still got that playoff bubble mojo picking up right where they left off. 

Myers/Edler - solid as usual, they didn't give Mcloser anything.

Gaud/Big Mac/Motte - effective in their limited ice time!

Schmidt - was ok, smart player who will only get better once he gels with the team.

Hamonic - not bad for a guy that had no scrimmage action, out for 10 months and with a new team. 

Holtby - Marky who? great save on Mcloser in the 1st period. Ian Clarke will fix him. 

Happy Birthday Mcdiver haha

lets get another 2 points tomorrow. :emot-parrot: 

• Cheers 1