The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

That's where I disagree. I think Edler is too inconsistent to be labeled a 3, I have him at a 4 or 5 on a good team (though I think he will have a good year this year if he stays with Schmidt), Myers is a 5, Hamonic is a 6 that can be a 5 and Juolevi is a 6. 

We have one of the weaker d cores in the league. That's what I'm comparing it to. It's better than Edmonton's but our D still sucks. Lower half in the league in my opinion. It will however be a really strong D core in a couple years though, I believe. Just lacks the defensive side of the game right now. Schmidt is our best defensive player but guys like Edler, Myers, Hamonic, Hughes and with Juolevi being a wild card our D is too inconsistent in their own end. With Hughes getting another year under his belt I anticipate him becoming a lot more consistent than last year though. He's definitely the best defensively in my opinion after Schmidt. Edler can either play amazing defensively or is a dumpster fire, depends on his engagement but over the past 3 years I find about every 3rd game we get his outstanding defense and the other 2 games he lacks the engagement. However like I said I think Schmidt will be the perfect partner for him. Also helps that Edler usually starts out every season extremely well so hopefully that's the case again this year. 

Alex Edler lets lets his stats defend himself.

Edler was 1st among the defenceman over the age 33 with 1.441 ESP/60 First in in PPP/60 with 5.967, 1st in blocked shots, 5th in hits, 6th in SH TOI and 10th in PP TOI and 1st in PIM

Ranking against the entire league with at least a minute of PP TOI he was 10th in the league for PPP/60 (quinn Hughes was 12th and schmidt was 5th) and for players that played over 14 minutes a game he was 13th in ESP/60 (quinn hughes was 16th schmidt was 31st) 3rd in BS, 39th in hits and third in minor PIM.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

it changed because people were offended

Please tell me you're joking... (I know people were offended because people are idiots, but that actually made them change their mind??) 

To clarify why I say people are idiots... Canada has a larger stockpile of vaccines than they can currently administer. So we literally have unused supply that a private organization wants to purchase from us and..... people got offended and now JT isn't playing because of these idiots??

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

A little iffy about the 4th line:

MOTTE - BEAGLE - SUTTER

I was actually hoping Motte would get a bit of a promotion to the 3rd line this year. Beagle and Sutter are veterans, but are they fast and physical enough? The bottom 6 wasn't very good in the playoffs and this still needs to be fixed IMO. An improvement with Loui eating popcorn in the rafters, anyway.

I also hoped Motte would get more recognition.    TG probably wanted to move him up, but them who’s going to replace him?  Still wish he did.   Pearson and TT... lucky them to play with Horvat/EP. Would love to see what Motte could do with their minutes on a trial run. 

Edited by IBatch

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

Please tell me you're joking... (I know people were offended because people are idiots, but that actually made them change their mind??) 

To clarify why I say people are idiots... Canada has a larger stockpile of vaccines than they can currently administer. So we literally have unused supply that a private organization wants to purchase from us and..... people got offended and now JT isn't playing because of these idiots??

yes, people did not like the fact a report was released saying players would be vaccinated , so the league released another statement saying they won't jump in line

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

who? what? we had Toffoli? Never noticed.

but seriously, he only played 17 games as a Canuck, including playoffs. He was never really here. 

I think many people on here romanticed the idea of having both Toffoli and Boeser in the line-up.   It was awesome in theory, but we hardly saw the two of them together at 100% health.  

Basically - the Canucks fielded a very successful team last season with only one elite RW’er for the entire season.   

Losing Toffoli sucks but the Canucks played well last season without one of Toffoli or Boeser.

• Vintage 3

12 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Why isn't it possible to vaccinate NHL players first and then other people?

Because elderly old people with compromised immune systems are at far more risk of severe or deadly complications from Covid.

I really dont get why people can't understand this...and this is not singling out this poster but in general I have lots of friends saying athletes should be vaccinated right away. Athletes are Millionaires and play a game...they should NOT jump the line over any other human being just so they can play a sport! I love my Canucks but my Grand parents who are still alive and then my parents should be way ahead of a millionaire athlete who is in tip top shape.

If athletes want to play they need to do what all of us are doing and avoid putting themselves in situations that could put them at risk...not a fool proof plan but if I had their pay cheque I would lock myself in a room and only go to the rink and back, at the end of the day they are providing for their families just like the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1