The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, StiffStick33 said:

Hughes hasn't gotten enough love for his performance tonight. He look SOOO much stronger on the puck, and anyone notice those quick lateral skips he did twice this game to deke, its just beautiful.

**Hoping someone has a clip of it.  

His assist on the first Boeser goal was a result of him being super strong on the puck, won the puck battle and fed him a perfect pass right in the slot.

• Like 1

Wasn't pretty, but the offense bailed us out. Defense was brutal, 3rd line was brutal except one shift. Hopefully they rethink the D pairings. Great games by Boeser and Hogs. 4th line was good too.

Play by play guy is one of the worst I've ever heard. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The thing is - the reality was/is that the team had/has a pair of young RW - Hoglander and Podkolzin - so signing Toffoli, having Boeser - and Virtanen....would have resulted in a bottleneck in short order regardless.  It couldn't be 'assumed' that Hoglander would emerge this quickly - but at the same time, he looked like a damn solid bet to earn an NHL spot - and as it turns out, that 'spot' made sense to keep open to competition.

I think it was the priority to commit the cap to a defenseman instead - and Schmidt seems like the right one to me.

But as it turns out - I'm not sure the team will be giving up much in Hoglander relative to Toffoli - and they have more cap flexibility in the younger ELC (and then RFA)....

I also think Hoglander's speed - and playmaking - might actually make a better fit for Horvat and Pearson.  Toffoli is a talented player - and goalscorer - but Hoglander may be the better fit as a 'catalyst' - I don't see Horvat as a 'playmaking' center - so having a winger like Hoglander (Pearson, likewise) is a pretty exciting complement for that line.

And then there's Podkolzin...so - they look deep in youth at RW.

It's only one game - but Gaudette also looks stronger - and more solid battling down low in his own zone (perhaps a bit more aware as well) - so that could bode well if he in fact has taken another step in development as a center.

Well so far oh so very good that’s for sure.

Can’t wait for Podkolzin.

5 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Thats not really fair, Brock for Dumba was prior to getting Schmidt. Keeping Brock and getting Schmidt was the reason for not signing Toffoli

There's nothing wrong with Dumba - or the idea.

I think the poster was referring to a certain tone that was 'underlying' - certainly a lot of questions about Boeser's game, skating, play without the puck, etc.

Players like him - if he's not scoring the highlight reel goals, people tend to question their value.

For me - he was very good in the playoffs in a lot of areas that were not necessarily his bread and butter - he didn't seem to be able to get his grade A shot off (Miller either) - but he was very good in a lot of ways - forechecked very hard, backchecked hard, went to the hard areas constantly and battled for 'playoff' goals - really worked hard and had an impact in spite of not being able to snipe as we come to expect.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, StiffStick33 said:

Hughes hasn't gotten enough love for his performance tonight. He look SOOO much stronger on the puck, and anyone notice those quick lateral skips he did twice this game to deke, its just beautiful.

**Hoping someone has a clip of it.  

He did look great - but I also thought he wasn't totally in his groove. 

Great start for Huggy (that's good), but only up from here (that's also good). :towel:

7 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Hogz dug out the puck and got it to Pearson who passed to horvat who scored to open the scoring. How did Hogz not get an assist?

It was an Oiler that pushed the puck in Pearson's direction. Maybe it contacted Hoglanders stick/body on the way by, but Hoglander was being hit by an Oiler and didn't actually play the puck

https://streamable.com/jmy1jo

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

There's nothing wrong with Dumba - or the idea.

I think the poster was referring to a certain tone that was 'underlying' - certainly a lot of questions about Boeser's game, skating, play without the puck, etc.

Players like him - if he's not scoring the highlight reel goals, people tend to question their value.

For me - he was very good in the playoffs in a lot of areas that were not necessarily his bread and butter - he didn't seem to be able to get his grade A shot off (Miller either) - but he was very good in a lot of ways - forechecked very hard, backchecked hard, went to the hard areas constantly and battled for 'playoff' goals - really worked hard and had an impact in spite of not being able to snipe as we come to expect.

I wouldn't trade Brock because I didn't want him but a hockey trade for a top 2 D man would improve the team as long as at least Toffoli was signed. Great comment I agree with your views on Brock

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Still bonkers hughes made that pass and that ep40 bank pass. My god so good.

Wasn't that similar to the pass he made against St.Louis in the playoffs last year, except that pass was from the D zone with the Blues player on top of him watching one of the Canucks score?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1