The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, billabong said:

It makes ya giddy when after all the years suffering through the rebuild the boys on the intermission are like

“does Vancouver have another stud rookie on their hands?!” 

So proud just a cool feeling 

Imagine having a Calder finalist four years in a row. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Imagine having a Calder finalist four years in a row. 

I have to assume that's never happened to a team before in NHL history. When I looked up three in a row last year, it was already extremely rare.

• Upvote 1

Reffing was terrible as usual. That penalty on Hamonic that the panel was arguing should have been a penalty shot wasn't even a penalty. He didn't hook or slash him, unless they're talking about the slash on the stick that happened just before the blue line.

And that's not to mention 2 garbage crosschecking calls that you won't ever see called against our opposition for the exact same thing multiple times this year, a number of no calls including incidental high stickings by Edmonton players, interference, holding the stick, and a bunch of other crap. I hate the NHL. Wish I didn't like the Canucks, heh.

Edited by Psycho_Path
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I thought the Canucks won the 'possession' game in an impressive way tonight.

First - with Miller out - EP's line played on heavily tilted ice (89% ozone starts).

What I thought was impressive was their ability to provide that - while Gaudette was also centering a line (7 minutes and 4 of 7 dzone starts...)

Every line outshot their opponent

Pearson Horvat Hoglander (75% corsi).

Roussel Gaudette MacEwen 67%

Motte Beagle Sutter 63%

Virt EP Boeser 62%

Overall 53 shot attempts to 38....

Without Miller - need the Horvat line to step up.

But also Gaudette's - and they held their own very well - and added a critical goal.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Psycho_Path said:

Reffing was terrible as usual. That penalty on Hamonic that the panel was arguing should have been a penalty shot wasn't even a penalty. He didn't hook or slash him, unless they're talking about the slash on the stick that happened just before the blue line.

I noticed an effort by officials to call most anything when McDavid was "impeded" but Pettersson was mauled twice.    I don't mind protecting elite players to let them perform at their best but at least be consistent.   I hope that is not a sign of the times for this season with there being two tiers of officiating.   I also thought Vancouver got away with a few on Bear.    Wasn't impressed with consistency of zebras in this game.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Got sent a text with this YouTube link from a good friend/colleague who played the game many years and is still in the game for business - he knows hockey - and the text was simple "there are maybe five players in today's NHL that can make that pass on purpose with that little time thinking about it, and three of those players are Elias Pettersson.   This kid is better than people realize no matter how good they think he is." 

The other two were named Sedin  :)

Not exactly “today’s” NHL but close enough 

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Provost said:

The other two were named Sedin  :)

He is the biggest Peter Forsberg fan of all time and feels EP40 could get to that level of on-ice vision even as early as this year.   The other current NHL players (I had to ask him of course) for ability to make that play in his eyes are Niklas Backstrom and Erik Karlsson.    He said Claude Girox is at the next but close tier and that if you include the past decade he would put a pre 2015 Joe Thorton and Henrik Sedin on that list too.    Notice the Swedish content (and Thornton looked like a viking for much of his career).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Hoglander was filthy. So dynamic. Just a smart player. Never giving up on pucks and somehow ending up with it. Huge in keeping possession tonight.

Yeah - I love Toffoli - but you could see what Hoglander's footspeed and puck pursuit (saying he has "a step" on Toffoli is an undersatement) relatively brings - to go with sheer will/battle - vision/awareness - playmaking - he covers so much ice/space - with Horvat and Pearson's power games....he's an explosive addition/complement. 

• Cheers 1