The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

What a game, absolute garbage defence and goaltending from the Oilers on just about all of our goals. The Petey pass should have been picked off and both Boeser goal assists should not have gotten through. Then on a good goalie, that shot along the wing and Gaudette's one timer probably would have been saved. In any case, what a gutsy win by the boys, that's how you play a third period. I think we're going to see a lot of these shoot outs this season.

Defence was alright, obviously Juolevi needs to be shielded a bit and Holtby was pretty good - we didn't play those two point shots well at all though, have to work on that collectively defensively but they were nice seeing-eye shots.

On the whole, heck of a game by our top-9 and what a job stopping McDavid from scoring. You just know this is going to be an intense rematch so hopefully we have a super sharp playoff Demko ready to go because there'll be some tired legs for sure and McDavid is going to be hungry.

Special shout to Bo and Pearson who were IMO our best players, that collective play on both there goals was impressive (and stupid defending by the Oilers, especially leaving Bo wide open). Going to be an interesting series.

• Cheers 2

peteys pass - loved it, art ross potential. does it make the top 10 passes ever by canucks?   ...

boeser can skate again... amazing! so much more pace!

holtby - good show sir, another cup winner to help show demko the way.

juliolevi - good start, like this could be a high iq dman, he did just enough to foil that net drive.... that time.

schmiddty - decent, faster than expected he was really flying through the middle at 1 moment.

virtanen - good.

hamonic - more time.

hughes - norris candidate.

horvat - selke candidate.  heroic.

crazy ass expensive self slew footing 4th line - beagle almost baited kharia, sutter is a sutter, motte is tenacious and should not slew foot teamates.

zack - no blaring errors, so alright for the time he got i guess.

gaudette - hes fast, and good board play?

antoine - no penalties required, think he can play a touch quicker we'll see.

edler - cup and the jersey hangs for sure. maybe without.... probably... 

myers - long limbs, its like a 5th man on the pk, oh and this space is mine cause i'm bigger than you, my crease.

pearson - smart vet talent with youth.

now we'll put our faster goalie in, and hamonic will give mcdavid an extra 8 feet.

Edited by TheRocket18

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

On the whole, heck of a game by our top-9 and what a job stopping McDavid from scoring. You just know this is going to be an intense rematch so hopefully we have a super sharp playoff Demko ready to go because there'll be some tired legs for sure and McDavid is going to be hungry.

Fortunately for us the Oilers will be even more tired given they only have 2 lines of NHL players and 2 NHL quality defensemen.  They're going to have a choice of playing some tired guys or icing their AHL trash against Petey and Bo.  Given the fact that both teams are equally tired, I'll take the team that can ice a complete lineup of legitimate NHLers.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

Not a fan of the No PGT, but I guess if a PGT post is made and then pinned it’s not as much of an issue.

onto the game

my top 3 players would be

BB

Myers

Hoglander

BB shot is back which is awesome. I wonder if back issue was messing with his rotation/core strength. Looks to be chomping at the bit

Myers again showing people who call him out on here his worth. His PK work tonight was absolutely first class. He normally plays better the longer a game goes on and the longer run of games he has. If he’s hit that level already he is going to be worth every single cent of his contract. 

Hoglander - impressive debut. Helps he’s in game form but with that second line around him he seems to have raised his level from Sweden to match it. Good to score right out the gate as it means there won’t be a monkey on his back that can stifle a rookie. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Missed the game so only watched the highlights.

What amazes me about Boesers’ first goal was the assist by Hughes. I mean he was sitting on his butt, back facing the Oilers goal and he could still precisely back-handed the puck to Boesers. 

“That lad is a defenseman?”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, ey40 said:

Missed the game so only watched the highlights.

What amazes me about Boesers’ first goal was the assist by Hughes. I mean he was sitting on his butt, back facing the Oilers goal and he could still precisely back-handed the puck to Boesers. 

“That lad is a defenseman?”

That play was so intriguing as a sports fan. Sport is about inches. I think Draisaitl is an inch away from a breakaway the other way before the puck got to Boeser. 

Happy the inch was on our side this time :)

• Like 1

What a debut from Hogs. Honestly, take that goal away and Nils still had great game. Made a lot of nice passes, won puck battles, played well defensively. You can see after that goal, Hogs was just playing much more confident, handling the puck more. That 2nd line looked good tonight, theyve had a rotating door of wingers like Toffoli, Virtanen, Leivo etc, who wouldve thought a smallish darter like Hogs would make that line go? Hope he keeps it up, theres going to be a "not hiring" sign for that top 6 role if it does

There shouldve been a penalty on that play OJ turnover. He played good, albeit limited minutes, Im sure they'll see what they have with him once they get back at home and gets more ice time with matchups

Whole team played well for the most part, only guy I can really pick on that was bad was Zack McEwen. He was either turning the puck over on getting knocked on the ice. Didn't do a whole lot. I was on the McEwen bandwagon until the Blues series where he played like absolute garbage

27 minutes ago, TheRocket18 said:

peteys pass - loved it, art ross potential. does it make the top 10 passes ever by canucks?   ...

boeser can skate again... amazing! so much more pace!

holtby - good show sir, another cup winner to help show demko the way.

juliolevi - good start, like this could be a high iq dman, he did just enough to foil that net drive.... that time.

schmiddty - decent, faster than expected he was really flying through the middle at 1 moment.

virtanen - good.

hamonic - more time.

hughes - norris candidate.

horvat - selke candidate.  heroic.

crazy ass expensive self slew footing 4th line - beagle almost baited kharia, sutter is a sutter, motte is tenacious and should not slew foot teamates.

zack - no blaring errors, so alright for the time he got i guess.

gaudette - hes fast, and good board play?

antoine - no penalties required, think he can play a touch quicker we'll see.

edler - cup and the jersey hangs for sure. maybe without.... probably... 

myers - long limbs, its like a 5th man on the pk, oh and this space is mine cause i'm bigger than you, my crease.

pearson - smart vet talent with youth.

now we'll put our faster goalie in, and hamonic will give mcdavid an extra 8 feet.

What's lost in all this talk about EP and QH becoming Hart/Art and Norris candidates is Horvat. He could be making that jump towards becoming a legitimate Selke candidate this season. 

So excited that they are going at it again tomorrow. Probably the only good thing about COVID is that we get to watch CDN matchups for the entire season. 

2 short notes from me.

Despite that turnover, I thought Olli looked very poised in his first NHL regular season game. Made simple passes, good with the puck (aside the turnover goal), and seemed to be in the right positions. Still would like to see him engage more physically due to his size, but he will learn that.

Thought Virtanen looked tentative to start, but he really started to round out his game shift by shift.  He looked more confident with teh puck, made some really good defensive plays, and showed he wasn't a detriment to his line.  Still a few iffy plays in his own zone, but you can see his effort and conscientious awareness in all three zones were present. Needs more of these kind of games to really earn his trust to play in more elevated roles regularly. Thought he had his most complete two way game of his career tonight.

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Been a sloppy game from both teams but I will take the win - GCG !

McD has missed alot of chances but we seem to match up well against the Coilers despite the two Superstars

McBirthday boy feels blue.

Now, get JT back so that we can love these games even more!!

Edited by viking mama

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

tHe CaNuCkS aRe GoInG tO mIsS Toffoli and Chris Tanev - Eastern media

scores 5 goals without Miller. LOL

Exactly as if they cement our team to a bottom rank this year

They don't know what's coming to them -_-

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1