The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, stawns said:

he had some good shifts, and I am a big Myers fan.  I think he just got caught trying to do too much to make life easier for OJ.  He was out of position a lot last night.

Hamonic just looks like he hasn't played since March, which he hasn't.  He'll be fine

Double post 

Edited by IBatch

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hoglander making this immediate impact is such a revelation from how things looked in the offseason.

To think; how great our top 6 was tonight.. And we still have Miller coming.

But we could have had Toffoli for 4 years 17 million instead!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Do you (or anyone else) know if SN will only have one announcer team doing each game?  Only asking cuz down south here, it seems I only get the Alberta feeds when the Canucks play Edm or Cal, and it drives me nuts.  Same might go for any other time our boys are playing in Canada.  

The guy last night wasn't awful, putting the expected Oiler bias aside, but I want John n John as much as possible.

I assume, like me, you are Center Ice Package?  Sometimes getting the away team announcers is refreshing, but not when they are so biased for their own team 

As an aside, my Center Ice was only showing the 2 Canadian games, none of the other division games.  Same with you? I found that odd

10 hours ago, TheRocket18 said:

peteys pass - loved it, art ross potential. does it make the top 10 passes ever by canucks?   ...

boeser can skate again... amazing! so much more pace!

holtby - good show sir, another cup winner to help show demko the way.

juliolevi - good start, like this could be a high iq dman, he did just enough to foil that net drive.... that time.

schmiddty - decent, faster than expected he was really flying through the middle at 1 moment.

virtanen - good.

hamonic - more time.

hughes - norris candidate.

horvat - selke candidate.  heroic.

crazy ass expensive self slew footing 4th line - beagle almost baited kharia, sutter is a sutter, motte is tenacious and should not slew foot teamates.

zack - no blaring errors, so alright for the time he got i guess.

gaudette - hes fast, and good board play?

antoine - no penalties required, think he can play a touch quicker we'll see.

edler - cup and the jersey hangs for sure. maybe without.... probably... 

myers - long limbs, its like a 5th man on the pk, oh and this space is mine cause i'm bigger than you, my crease.

pearson - smart vet talent with youth.

now we'll put our faster goalie in, and hamonic will give mcdavid an extra 8 feet.

Was it just me, or did I keep hearing them call him Dominik Rousel?

2 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Both teams looked Rusty af, our top two lines had never played a competitive game with each other and Edmonton had last change and played Mcdavid every second shift. Went about as well as we could have hoped for actually. Looked like Green gave Virtanen the job to carry water defensively for Petey’s line and I thought he did a great job of it. Baptism by fire for Olli last night, outside of getting his pocket picked he had a decent debut. Hoglander looks like the perfect match to play with Bo too.

agreed, rock solid game defensively for Jake.  He covered for more than a couple defensive lapses by Petey and Boes

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I think I have seen a team give up a 3 on 0 in OT once before...:bigblush:

got to be be able to laugh at ourselves 

Yepper.... anything can happen.  What i meant though was the entire > 4min of 3-on-3 the Habs didn't look dangerous at all (which is hard to do)

• Cheers 1

What a game!  Lots of quick-strike, lightning-in-a-bottle from our guys tonight.  Stayed level-headed when the Coil clawed back on the scoreboard against the run of play and showed some of the killer instinct we saw last summer.  This is a really, really good team.

Not going to repeat what everyone is saying about Hogs, Brock and Bo:  they were clearly and obviously excellent.  What struck me was the D as a 6-man group.  Despite new pairings, Hamonic being rusty and Oli's inexperience at this level, they played a really solid game.  We never got hemmed in our own zone 5-on-5, and held the 2 best offensive players in the league well in check.  Superior puck-moving and zone exits over the last several years.  A better test will be against heavy cycling teams like St. Louis and Vegas, but against a rush-oriented offense our D looked pretty good.  Is there any team in the Canadian division that plays that game?  I don't think so. 

Schmidt-Edler is going to be a great pairing but the others won't be far behind.  Our offense is going to thrive with this kind of efficient game from our D.  Good times in Canuck land.  Bring on game 2!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

What a game!  Lots of quick-strike, lightning-in-a-bottle from our guys tonight.  Stayed level-headed when the Coil clawed back on the scoreboard against the run of play and showed some of the killer instinct we saw last summer.  This is a really, really good team.

Not going to repeat what everyone is saying about Hogs, Brock and Bo:  they were clearly and obviously excellent.  What struck me was the D as a 6-man group.  Despite new pairings, Hamonic being rusty and Oli's inexperience at this level, they played a really solid game.  We never got hemmed in our own zone 5-on-5, and held the 2 best offensive players in the league well in check.  Superior puck-moving and zone exits over the last several years.  A better test will be against heavy cycling teams like St. Louis and Vegas, but against a rush-oriented offense our D looked pretty good.  Is there any team in the Canadian division that plays that game?  I don't think so. 

Schmidt-Edler is going to be a great pairing but the others won't be far behind.  Our offense is going to thrive with this kind of efficient game from our D.  Good times in Canuck land.  Bring on game 2!

Yes the rust did show, but that's to be expected with the circumstances surrounding this season opener.

Holtby was so calm and solid though in having the D's back.

The bolded part above is what really struck me though, as it's something we've been fairly bad at in the past but now brings excitement.

Most solid and balanced D corps we've had in a long time along with 2 great starters in net (which will be huge in this condensed season).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I assume, like me, you are Center Ice Package?  Sometimes getting the away team announcers is refreshing, but not when they are so biased for their own team 

As an aside, my Center Ice was only showing the 2 Canadian games, none of the other division games.  Same with you? I found that odd

Depends.  I can't stand listening to Buffalo's guy, or Fox Sports (esp StL, Det, AZ, LA or Ana), and I am soooo happy that Doc as hung up the microphone.  So often with many of these feeds, I would mute it, or turn the volume really low.  I guess I don't need much refreshment from John n John ::D

You might be right about the other divisions yesterday.  I didn't pay attention.  I think going forward they are covered.  If it's true, I'm extra happy they had the Cdn games on.  I've had enough trouble in previous years, with my carrier blocking out the opening Canuck game (I think they were using my account in testing and never reset it), I really was in no mood to bitch about problems last night.

Forgot to mention in my last post. Was very impressed with Hoglander's vision. He passed on some attempts to make decent plays, but found the trailer for good scoring chances on multiple occasions. Very solid game by him. Virtanen had a very good defensive game as well. Hope we see him play more like he did in the 3rd though. Looked like the version of him that he's shown to be very effective at.

2 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Yepper.... anything can happen.  What i meant though was the entire > 4min of 3-on-3 the Habs didn't look dangerous at all (which is hard to do)

Dont worry, I totally followed your train of thought (and agree). I just saw it as an excuse for a tongue in cheek response haha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Thanks for this.

It's beyond old - reading the vacant accounts of posters that throw players like Motte - and Beagle in particular - under the bus - based on what?  A default, knee-jerk tendency to fluff the 'stars'?

Beagle

27.3% ozone starts (8 dzone starts was second only to Edler).

50% corsi (13 on ice shot attempts for, 13 against).

Motte

30% ozone starts

50% corsi (15/15).

Outstanding.  Particularly on the road imo.  What more do people expect.

Add to those 5 on 5 outcomes that fact that they gave up nothing short-handed.

13 and 15 shot attempts for, playing 15 and 16 minutes....not only were they outstanding without the puck/defensively - but they also did a great job hounding and grinding in the Coil zone, creating chances of their own.  I have no idea how Sutter gets separated out from those two, but whatever.

How they wind up on the "not as good" list is noob material.

By contrast we see endless fluffing of the "stars" - but let's be real for a moment.

Quinn Hughes, for example, is sublimely talented - however, he does not perform in a vacuum.

Hughes

17  offensive zone starts, 1 dzone, 94.4%.

How is it the team manages to provide that - who reverses the ice and produces those ozone starts?

64.3% corsi - taken  out of context - appears outstanding - however, in context, are his 'possession' numbers actually 'better' than Motte and Beagle's?  Not so much.

It's a team game.

I 'wish' people would stop playing the 'stars' off the hard minutes players who deserve every bit as much credit, in other ways - but that would require perspective a lot of people evidently don't care to gain.

Myers - another 'not so good'

37.5% ozone starts

50% corsi - playing with a rookie defenseman - on the road - where Tippet has last change - and is able to pick spots where he can matchup Draisaitl or McDavid against a rookie...

Juolevi - who himself was 42.9% / 3o4dzone starts - had a team best corsi of 76.5% (13 shot attempst for, 4 against).....and yet, the most talked about thing is a micro-take on one play where he fell/was tripped....fishbowl material....  'the average'.   For me, the most promising thing about that game - beyond the obvious impact that Hoglander had on the Horvat-Pearson line - was how solid Juolevi was and how improved Gaudette looks - a critical factor in my opinion if the team finds itself facing any injuries at center - something the loss of Miller confronted them with right out of the gate. 

The entire team was 'good' - bar none.  Hamonic may have struggled a bit parachuting in (maybe an 'exception') however, I was not expecting him to look like mid-season form Chris Tanev (scarcely anyone handles McDavid types as well as Tanev) - and Hamonic winding up one on one with McDavid in a handful of situations - is not on Hamonic alone.  Edler was unreal imo.

Peter Griffin Applause GIF by Family GuySeason 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

What a post... wow... teared up a little... vintage oldnews. Bravo

You really took it to the HNL when you backed it up with all the cold hard stats... tbh I'm not that knowledgeable on advanced stats, too much numbers for me, but I heard way too many complaints about motter and Myers last night...

Levels Whole GIF - Levels Whole Nuhva GIFs
*should say hole

People like to complain about Myers because they just focus on the biggest object they see... As for Motter, he didn't get an assist on Brock's goal from Hughes, but he cleared the way for Quinn to make the pass. No Motte, no goal there IMO.

It's great we got such defensively sound depth players that we can rely on for defensive draws... no point wasting elite talent like Hughes in the defensive side when you're so stacked defensively.

• Cheers 1