The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

54 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

I delivered a piano to Pete Townshend at end of March last year. Pretty nice guy!

Fantastic song-writer and musician; one of my all-time favorites.

I am not worthy to read the post of you Piano Delivery Person. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

I delivered a piano to Pete Townshend at end of March last year. Pretty nice guy!

So YOU are the "Piano Man" I once had Hans Operknockerty come to tune my piano and he did such a terrible job I asked him to return and do it again. He replied, "Operknockerty tunes only once" !!

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, wloutet said:

So YOU are the "Piano Man" I once had Hans Operknockerty come to tune my piano and he did such a terrible job I asked him to return and do it again. He replied, "Operknockerty tunes only once" !!

Um , I’ll have what he’s having. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Ok boys, let’s GOOOOOOOOO!

Really, REALLY sucks about no J.T. because I think that the Lotto Line was going to do very special things right off the bat this year. This is Jake’s chance to quell his legions of doubters.

Things of utmost interest for me is the goaltending....in particular how Holtby looks if he gets the net tonight (has a starter been announced?). It’s always strange to see a new body wearing Canucks gear in the net. I hope The Hog doesn’t let the moment overwhelm him....but the kid seems to have a ton of self confidence, even swagger, so I think he’ll be ok. And Olli Juolevi. I’ve voiced my concerns at various steps of his development - concerns completely justified IMO - but now it seems like it’s his time. The narrative really seemed to start to turn with his appearance in the playoff bubble - in some admittedly highly sheltered minutes he looked cooler than the other side of the pillow. I still have some concerns with his lack of quickness, not so much top end gear, but his lateral movement. Teams are going to try to get speedy players out there to test him...and here’s hoping that OJ is up to the challenge. And there were very few Training Camp onlookers that mentioned that he struggled with the pace...so it could very well be that these concerns are old news. I’ve always viewed Olli as our replacement for Alex Edler. 

Judging from what I saw from Training Camp footage, Quinn Hughes looks like he will continue to make forecheckers look silly. And 3 on 3 has never been more “must see TV” than now...when we can put Hughes, Petey and Boeser on the ice.

And I don’t let pundit predictions get to me as they seem to for some others. :)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Judging from what I saw from Training Camp footage, Quinn Hughes looks like he will continue to make forecheckers look silly. And 3 on 3 has never been more “must see TV” than now...when we can put Hughes, Petey and Boeser on the ice.

Is it wierd I'm kinda hoping for overtime?

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

No kidding. We effectively never had both, healthy, in our lineup at the same time.

The 'loss' of Toffoli this year over last year's roster is firmly in the 'theoretical' category.

Would it have been nice to retain him if a pandemic hadn't come along? Absolutely. But let's not pretend we're any 'worse' than last year.

Exactly.

If the Canucks were to throw out.....

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

At some point during the season, that’s extremely similar to the 9-3-3 record that we started off with last year with Roussel and Ferland basically switching spots.    As it relates to now, Gaudette in for MacEwen or Sutter, and Hoglander in for Eriksson is pretty much a zero sum wash.   Our forward level relative to last year is basically a zero sum game.   No improvement but no regression.   Even if our goaltending has decreased slightly (and for the record, I don’t think this will be the case as I believe Demko will be at or near Markstrom’s level from last year), our defense has improved by quite a significant margin.    Schmidt is way better than Tanev and Hamonic is slightly better than Stecher.   Juolevi, at worst, is Fantenberg level, but he’ll likely be better.   

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

Is it wierd I'm kinda hoping for overtime?

Yes, with so few games loser points will be a big factor on playoffs. The only way you should hope for playoffs is if we are down by 2 with 5 minutes left hahaha

3 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

We have no J.T they have no Klefbom so it's even.

Miller means a lot more to us than Klefbom means to them but point taken.   This is Virtanen’s opportunity to shine.    Make or break time for JV.

I'm gonna say Canucks come out flying and shell shock the Oilers tonight. Hoglander will get the first goal of the season on a broken play. 

Hopefully. :)

Edit: shell shock not she'll shock

Edited by MikeyD
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Miller means a lot more to us than Klefbom means to them but point taken.   This is Virtanen’s opportunity to shine.    Make or break time for JV.

Defence is their issue and they lost their top 1 or 2d.

• Cheers 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1
  • -Vintage Canuck- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • -Vintage Canuck- locked this topic