The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Travis Hamonic

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don't take your guide on the Canucks from media that is either largely eastern based or comes from people who have very little hockey background (many out west).   Hate to tell you this but as someone originally from Ontario, there is very little effort at all to learn about things out west and even lesser on the other side of the Rockies.   That includes a media that is largely Toronto/Montreal centric.     

The one thing the Canadian division will do this year is open more eyes to the immense talent pool the Canucks are growing and if any credible media individual says at end of the season, irrespective of how the Canucks do, that their D this year wasn't on paper miles ahead of the start of last season then you should simply write them off entirely.

Canucks, like all teams in the NHL, have holes to fill but on balance given their youth still emerging and their recent moves, this is an upper tier (playoff) team trending upwards even more.    This season is a crap shoot given the timing, the unpredictability of player availability (Edmonton with LD or CM or Calgary without Monahan/JohnnyH over the first four games is same thing for Canucks without Miller) and the Canucks having a farm team that is essentially unavailable to them.   However, I personally think it as likely they emerge from the North after the playoffs then it is they don't make the playoffs.   I think they will stack up against any team in the Division assuming each team is fully equipped with their respective best line ups.   I think Canucks have second best goalie situation, best defensive lineup over top six (and spares) and second or third best forwards but with the wild card in there that EP40 may be as good as Matthews by end of this year (again, IMHO).

Cheers

SO your say'in they have a chance. :towel: The fact that TSN is down playing the Canucks, while not new, is a fallback Plan B. The Laffers will crash and the Canucks will roar out of the West as a Cinderella story. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

SO your say'in they have a chance. :towel: The fact that TrashSportsNetwork is down playing the Canucks, while not new, is a fallback Plan B. The Laffers will crash and the Canucks will roar out of the West as a Cinderella story. 

• Wat 1

Okay, I might be flamed for this because it's only been one game, but I'm also looking at what I saw with him on the Flames.  I love the fact that Hamonic is willing to hammer the puck to the net (something Tanev didn't do so much).  Defensively though, am I right to be nervous?!!!  Time will tell but I'm not so sure partnering him up with Quinn is a good long-term project.  Let's see what tonight brings.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:17 PM, Boudrias said:

SO your say'in they have a chance. :towel: The fact that TSN is down playing the Canucks, while not new, is a fallback Plan B. The Laffers will crash and the Canucks will roar out of the West as a Cinderella story. 

I kind of like how each year the media downplays the Canucks anyway. It's more fun to jump out at them and go "HERE I AM SUCKERS!!!"

On 1/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, erkayloomeh said:

Why did he not resign with the flames ?

He's far too good a guy to fit in with their classless team, plus they probably didn't' appreciate him opting out to take care of his family.  Benning's shown a real willingness to work with our guys when they're dealing with off-ice issues, and doesn't mind them putting their families first.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, Violator said:

Calgary puck seems about 50% he made a good decision by not playing in the bubble last year and 50% if they saw him walking down the street they would run him over.

Jebus.  Only reason they had him in the first place is because he put his family first and requested a trade.  I'd be ashamed to be related to anyone who had an issue with that, but I shouldn't be surprised given the quality of people in that fanbase.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Jebus.  Only reason they had him in the first place is because he put his family first and requested a trade.  I'd be ashamed to be related to anyone who had an issue with that, but I shouldn't be surprised given the quality of people in that fanbase.

We have fans on this board that say equally damning statements too.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

There an interesting fan base but probably only .5% of the fanbase.CDC is also a small portion of the fanbase.

1 hour ago, Tracksuit said:

So far He’s looked like he looked in Calgary a liability.

a very slight improvement over benn and a downgrade from fantonberg. 

But a least he’s a righty lol. 

So far, the entire team looks lethargic.  Let's not single him out.  He's a solid d-man but not elite.  You can't expect him to keep the line afloat when there's 4 other guys on the ice not doing much either. Along with the fact he hasnt played hockey since march and then all of a sudden jumped into a reg season NHL game. It's a condensed schedule.  He's been skating with the team for like 1 week now.

I think the true judgment will come when the team starts getting back on track. Will he be a positive addition or will he be a weak link?  I think I see him as the former than the latter. Once we see this team play as a 5 man unit, I think we'll see him as a dependable solid d-man.

For the record, I really like Fantenburg and wish we kept him over Benn

21 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So far, the entire team looks lethargic.  Let's not single him out.  He's a solid d-man but not elite.  You can't expect him to keep the line afloat when there's 4 other guys on the ice not doing much either. Along with the fact he hasnt played hockey since march and then all of a sudden jumped into a reg season NHL game. It's a condensed schedule.  He's been skating with the team for like 1 week now.

I think the true judgment will come when the team starts getting back on track. Will he be a positive addition or will he be a weak link?  I think I see him as the former than the latter. Once we see this team play as a 5 man unit, I think we'll see him as a dependable solid d-man.

For the record, I really like Fantenburg and wish we kept him over Benn

Fantenburg was very good - I'm quite surprised that he did not get an NHL contract (assuming he wanted one - he may have preferred Europe/who knows).  He may not have re-signed here because of the possibility of sitting most of the season (with Juolevi ready/stepping in).

Not only was Hamonic stepping into NHL games after very little on-ice preparation - but he also had McMe1st to deal with his first two nights (back to back)....so I'm going to reserve assessment.

At 1.25 it's impossible to argue with that signing (or a comparable, like Hainsey, who like Fantenburg does not have an NHL re-up). 

If there were one thing I might have done differently - it would have been to move Benn and a guy like Roussel - to clear the cap for Tanev.   The existing group with Tanev in place of Hamonic - I really like their chances.   And replacing Roussel - ie with a Leivo - should not have been that difficult.  But it takes two, so I can't assume that would have been possible (however, if it took a moderate asset to lubricate those deals, so be it).

On 1/18/2021 at 8:47 AM, Tracksuit said:

So far He’s looked like he looked in Calgary a liability.

a very slight improvement over benn and a downgrade from fantonberg. 

But a least he’s a righty lol. 

Agree with the liability part....and I remember thinking it was good when he was on the ice for Calgary.

Thought he looked much better last game. He's probably the only player I'm giving a pass on the team though, considering that these 4 games have been his first 4 in close to a year, and all with a new team, new D partner with minimal practice in training camp to get the timing, trust, and reflexes up to speed. 

He's been noticeable and that is already a good sign. I trust he'll ramp up the consistency soon, and when he does, we have a steal of a deal at 1.25 mil.

From my perspective, I thought Hamonic has made nice defensive plays and he’s made some real nifty little passes to move the puck with control out of the zone rather than panic and send it up the boards or off the glass.

i noticed a couple drop back passes near the goal line back behind the net for his partner or the supporting forward.

The back end is completely new and needs some time to adjust to each other. 

• Cheers 3

On 1/20/2021 at 12:49 PM, knucklehead91 said:

From my perspective, I thought Hamonic has made nice defensive plays and he’s made some real nifty little passes to move the puck with control out of the zone rather than panic and send it up the boards or off the glass.

i noticed a couple drop back passes near the goal line back behind the net for his partner or the supporting forward.

The back end is completely new and needs some time to adjust to each other. 

Is he struggling cause he is new to the system or is it the system that is making him (and Schmidt) look bad ?  Or Both ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski