The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Not quite sure if his number is right or not.  Pics show him in 27, TSN lists him as 24?  Will update.

image.pngimage.png

Hamonic #27 ?? I don't think Hamonic is wearing #24?  Yesterdays sweater was #27 and helmet #27..

We are so so lucky to have this solid #3 D man, gritty, tough and solid stay at home style..Will look great beside Hughes, he will not let anyone take cheap shots on Hughes...

I guess fans think he would wear 24 but its clear #27 is his new number...

Edited by wildcam
  • Vintage 1

Hamonic = Tanev and Nate Schmidt = Stecher I would say the defence is definately upgrade. I liked Stecher and Tanev but adding someone who can move the puck out of the zone I think will help prevent the goalies taking 30-60 shots and getting tired out standing on there heads to steal games. Just my thoughts anyways.

Edited by Shekky
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Shekky said:

Hamonic = Tanev and Nate Schmidt = Stecher I would say the defence is definately upgrade. I liked Stecher and Tanev but adding someone who can move the puck out of the zone I think will help prevent the goalies taking 30-60 shots and getting tired out standing on there heads to steal games. Just my thoughts anyways.

I would say Schmidt is more equivalent to Tanev, but with a bit more offense, so an upgrade. Hamonic plays more like Tanev than Schmidt, but is closer to Stecher's level than Tanev's. Both are upgrades over those respective players though. The only area that might be a downgrade is at the #7 spot, depending on how good Juolevi can play.

I'm betting Juolevi will be good enough though not to make that a concern. I think he'll earn the #6 spot and Benn will hold the #7, much like much of last year.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I would say Schmidt is more equivalent to Tanev, but with a bit more offense, so an upgrade. Hamonic plays more like Tanev than Schmidt, but is closer to Stecher's level than Tanev's. Both are upgrades over those respective players though. The only area that might be a downgrade is at the #7 spot, depending on how good Juolevi can play.

I'm betting Juolevi will be good enough though not to make that a concern. I think he'll earn the #6 spot and Benn will hold the #7, much like much of last year.

I see a lot of analysts compare Tanev and Hamonic and although Tanev is a slightly better defender its not by much at least from what they say. I do agree though but I don't really see much comparison between Schmidt and Tanev as they are different types of defenders I see the puck being moved out of the zone more with Schmidt which means the Goalies are taking less shots and Vegas lit up the goalies to exhaustion in there series together during the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Shekky said:

I see a lot of analysts compare Tanev and Hamonic and although Tanev is a slightly better defender its not by much at least from what they say. I do agree though but I don't really see much comparison between Schmidt and Tanev as they are different types of defenders I see the puck being moved out of the zone more with Schmidt which means the Goalies are taking less shots and Vegas lit up the goalies to exhaustion in there series together during the playoffs.

Hamonic is a better fit than Tanev thanks to the physical element he brings.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Shekky said:

I see a lot of analysts compare Tanev and Hamonic and although Tanev is a slightly better defender its not by much at least from what they say.

Tanev's a bit better skater and better in transition. Hamonic is more physical/better along the boards/in the crease and largely gets similar defensive results though.

Schmidt's an even better skater than Tanev though and far better in transition and offense. So I don't think we'll miss the slight 'downgrade' there from Hamonic anyway (and will likely enjoy the added grit). Plus with Myers and Juolevi on the 'third' pair, we should have improved transition there as well.

I'm expecting a LOT less play in our own end this year.

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

One thing I have noticed so far is that he is not as good of a rush defender as Tanev.

Hard to judge from just a two game sample but if true; he still brings other attributes that Tanev lacked. Overall, I like this move and others by JB as it freed up cap space to go after the likes of Nate Schmidt. Don't get me wrong, Tanev was a warrior on the Canucks team and I liked his compete but hockey is a business and sometimes the business end has to make some tough decisions and unfortunately he was a casualty of those decisions as was Stetcher, Toffoli and Markstrom.