The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

56 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So does anyone actually have any sources on the "anti-vaxxer" stuff, or is this all just speculation?

It's baseless speculation. There was one article, published in 2 places, about training camp and had a quote from Halak along the lines of "the only player I know from before is Hamonic but he isn't in Vancouver yet." The author of the article then added their own insight saying they had a source that said Hamonic's absence was COVID-19 related.

People with poor reading comprehension interpreted this as Halak saying that Hamonic wasn't at camp due to COVID protocols and started to spread a rumor that Hamonic wasn't vaccinated. 

Given Hamonic's history (sitting out of the bubble due to concerns over the virus and his daughter's health) it is very unlikely that he is anti-vaxx and much more likely that he's sitting out until the entire team is fully vaccinated plus 2 weeks (or for some completely unrelated reaaon).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

So a guy with an immuno compromised kid, and a family life , is two days late to camp; and so called fans are jumping to "Travis is an anti vaxxer".

Pages now, on multiple threads;  and not one single quote from the team or Hamonic saying anything about vaccine.

Complete rubbish, waste of bandwidth.

Putting 2 and 2 together is something people apparently struggle with.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So does anyone actually have any sources on the "anti-vaxxer" stuff, or is this all just speculation?

Satiar Shah says the Canucks are still trying to convince him to get vaccinated.

He also tweeted: "like I said on the show today, they're still working on getting everyone vaccinated and convincing the player in question has been a roller coaster. What Jim said yesterday wasn't necessarily wrong at the time and they still hope to get everyone fully vaxxed".

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Hamonic is an idiot.  

That is a very ignorant and ill-considered comment. He suffered the loss of his father at ten, he cares deeply for his family, has a daughter with respiratory issues and is a thoughtful and caring person who works with kids who have lost their fathers. He sacrificed a lot of money to protect hIs family and he has a history of standing up for his teammates even though he is not the greatest fighter. Check out the ESPN film on him done some years ago. It’s called In The Name Of The Father - a very moving story.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, davidgoliath said:

That is a very ignorant and ill-considered comment. He suffered the loss of his father at ten, he cares deeply for his family, has a daughter with respiratory issues and is a thoughtful and caring person who works with kids who have lost their fathers. He sacrificed a lot of money to protect hIs family and he has a history of standing up for his teammates even though he is not the greatest fighter. Check out the ESPN film on him done some years ago. It’s called In The Name Of The Father - a very moving story.

Here's the bottom line it will be  full season this year and evey time he crosses the border he has to go into 14 days lock down which negates a whole lot of games, You simply can't have players who are unable to play taking up a roster spot. As I understand he's a deeply religious man and that is the stumbling block. Your religion or your teams mates 

If he is refusing to get the poke, shouldn't there be some heat on Benning for not doing his due diligence when he resigned Hamonic to begin with? Seems like kind of a no brainer that if you're signing free agents during a pandemic, you damn well make sure they're either vaccinated or are willing to get vaccinated. 

36 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If he is refusing to get the poke, shouldn't there be some heat on Benning for not doing his due diligence when he resigned Hamonic to begin with? Seems like kind of a no brainer that if you're signing free agents during a pandemic, you damn well make sure they're either vaccinated or are willing to get vaccinated. 

hard to say, if TH has been waffling on the decision then its hard to put it on Jim. Its not like Jim can hold him down and give him the shot. 

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

hard to say, if TH has been waffling on the decision then its hard to put it on Jim. Its not like Jim can hold him down and give him the shot. 

Sure, but you'd think if he was going back and forth on the decision GMJB would pass and go elsewhere to find a blueliner. If I were the GM I'd want a to know for sure before offering up a contract. 

Of course, Travis could have said he was willing and then went back on it after the contract was signed, which imo would be enough justification for a straight up contract termination.

Or it might not have anything to do with Covid. Who the hell knows? 

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or, given that nobody on the team or Hamonic have said this has anything to do with the vaxx, maybe it is all made up carp, like players getting iv during their bout of covid.

Everything is just speculation at this point. Maybe he was just late getting his poke and is waiting the 2 weeks before it kicks in before he joins the team? 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Sure, but you'd think if he was going back and forth on the decision GMJB would pass and go elsewhere to find a blueliner. If I were the GM I'd want a to know for sure before offering up a contract. 

Of course, Travis could have said he was willing and then went back on it after the contract was signed, which imo would be enough justification for a straight up contract termination.

Or it might not have anything to do with Covid. Who the hell knows? 

dunno, a lot of what if's in there. My 2 cents is IF he's anti-vax, I'd like him off the team. If not, suit up already. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

dunno, a lot of what if's in there. My 2 cents is IF he's anti-vax, I'd like him off the team. If not, suit up already. 

I mean, I personally don't care if he doesn't want to get poked. It's his decision, and on a personal level I harbor no ill will towards him. But for the sake of the rest of the team's safety, if he's adamant about it he should be waived. 

I'm just hoping it's all a nothingburger in the end. He's a good player, an important part of the team, and it would be a damn shame if we had to cut him loose because of this.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I mean, I personally don't care if he doesn't want to get poked. It's his decision, and on a personal level I harbor no ill will towards him. But for the sake of the rest of the team's safety, if he's adamant about it he should be waived. 

I'm just hoping it's all a nothingburger in the end. He's a good player, an important part of the team, and it would be a damn shame if we had to cut him loose because of this.

there's damn shames all over these days. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1