The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Seems like it should. Hamonic's $3m + their current cap with LTIR is around $15-16. I think it'll take $9.5m to sign Petey, and $8m for Hughes on longterm deals.
Having no cap room to improve what was a weak D core WITH Hamonic in it is scary though.

It’s sub-optimal for this season, absolutely… but might be a blessing in disguise mid to long term.  

Gotta play the hand you’re dealt and if Hamonic hangs em up I’ll take long term on those two as a consolation prize.  

Big daddy Schenn draws in - I’m just bummed Brady Keeper went down. Hunt might be the next guy up on the right because I think Mr Versatile plays both sides. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Seems like it should. Hamonic's $3m + their current cap with LTIR is around $15-16. I think it'll take $9.5m to sign Petey, and $8m for Hughes on longterm deals.
Having no cap room to improve what was a weak D core WITH Hamonic in it is scary though.

If he retires vs opting out.  If he opts out he would still be under contract for next season at a 3M cap hit.  If they give up that space they'll need to find a way to find it for next season.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't know how twits work but where does it say this?

In the clip Dhaliwal says he hasn’t heard Hamonic is anti vax.  That said, he kinda stumbles a bit - doesn’t say he IS vaxed either and just reiterates that it’s a family decision. 

All in all I’m not exactly happy with Hamonic not being in camp but like others have said until we have a definite explanation I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - at the very least he’s a guy turning down millions to play a game (I assume) he loves - due to thinking about his kid. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Need a top 4 D to replace Hamonic though.

If we’re sitting at Poolman, Myers, Schenn on the RD we likely just play Schenn with Hughes for about 3/4 of his even strength ice time and then have Myers top it up since he’ll technically be “third pair” and can handle more minutes.

• Like 2

Just now, ilduce39 said:

If we’re sitting at Poolman, Myers, Schenn on the RD we likely just play Schenn with Hughes for about 3/4 of his even strength ice time and then have Myers top it up since he’ll technically be “third pair” and can handle more minutes.

We also have Woo and Burroughs to throw into the fire. We can also claim every single RD off waivers from 31 other teams  and rotate them throw the fire. I hope Brad Shaw does not resign his position. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maddogy said:

We also have Woo and Burroughs to throw into the fire. We can also claim every single RD off waivers from 31 other teams  and rotate them throw the fire. I hope Brad Shaw does not resign his position. 

Sorry, is this despair I’m reading? It would be Hunt as the next guy up if there’s an injury and you’re right about waivers / a minor trade would likely happen to land another natural RD for depth. 

I actually don’t think there’s a big drop off from Hamonic to Schenn - the latter actually having more success with Hughes in an albeit shorter (but not that shorter) time frame.

49 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

He said it on his show that's airing right now on Chek

Ahh okay. So he's vaccinated but worried he might catch it anyway being out in the public or in close quarters (body checking, eating together, etc.) with others?

Whatever it is (if that he shouldn't have signed in the first place), I don't think I'm going to like the result. Whatever I guess. I wish him all the best in taking care of his family but it screws us over in the end unfortunately. Like others have mentioned we have several backup options though ... albeit not great ones. I guess Jimbo should be all over the waiver wire but we need to cut ties with Hamonic in order to pick up any players.

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Can we end the persecution of Hamonic not wanting a vaccine bit now? Seems like too many people rushed to conclusions here.

This make little sense. Why is retirement on the table now, then why did he sign the deal with the Canucks in the Summer? 

Seems a bit odd, the timing, considering that he signed the deal, and when vaccines were made mandatory for all players, only is this coming out now? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ahh okay. So he's vaccinated but worried he might catch it anyway being out in the public or in close quarters (body checking, eating together, etc.) with others?

Whatever it is (if that he shouldn't have signed in the first place), I don't think I'm going to like the result. Whatever I guess. I wish him all the best in taking care of his family but it screws us over in the end unfortunately. Like others have mentioned we have several backup options though ... albeit not great ones. I guess Jimbo should be all over the waiver wire but we need to cut ties with Hamonic in order to pick up any players.

So what happens to the cap hit of Hamonic if he does decide to retire? 

Does the team get cap relief? 

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Possibly, but then again he just signed his contract. Did he expect they would be playing games via Zoom?

Hard to speculate on what his reasons are, but considering the NHL has announced phenomenal vaccination rates among their players, it really makes me scratch my head to know what changed for him in the last few weeks.

• Vintage 2

57 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

*looks at that RD depth chart*
Well, at least our forwards will be fun to watch this year.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

*looks at that RD depth chart*
Well, at least our forwards will be fun to watch this year.

Our D will be fun for other fan bases maybe… 

I think it just hasn’t sunk in for me yet.. been such a wild offseason I’m so darn curious to see what comes out the other end of this offseason/camp/preseason.  

Hasn’t lacked for drama anyways - if the year is half as entertaining as the build up we’re in for a wild ride.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I respect that Hamonic is thinking about his family and is willing to turn down millions for their sake. I don't know his family's story, nor why Hamonic is being extra careful with his kid. If in fact he is vaccinated, that does not necessarily increases the survival rate of his kid who is probably unprotected from COVID. At best, vaccines reduce the likelihood of transmission (somewhat), but increases the survival rate of the person who was vaccinated.

My question is: in an environment where COVID is taken so seriously with all the vaccine mandates and what not, why is he considering retirement in light of this? Does he feel it's not enough for protection? Also there were rumours (potentially unsubstantiated) that he may or may not be vaccinated. Some sources claim he is, but this was never established as of yet. Was this an issue about vaccinations?

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

This make little sense. Why is retirement on the table now, then why did he sign the deal with the Canucks in the Summer? 

Seems a bit odd, the timing, considering that he signed the deal, and when vaccines were made mandatory for all players, only is this coming out now? 

have you ever had a couple of mil waved under your nose and just said "No"?

me neither

but I think retirement has been on the table with Hamonic since he wanted out of NYI.

it would not have surprised me then, but he showed up in Calgary, then he showed up here.

If he does retire, it will be one of the least surprising things to happen this off season.

There seems to be 2 types of retirement

1. the Victory lap, well thought out and planned

2 the I just don't feel like I can get up for it anymore

1 minute ago, lmm said:

have you ever had a couple of mil waved under your nose and just said "No"?

me neither

but I think retirement has been on the table with Hamonic since he wanted out of NYI.

it would not have surprised me then, but he showed up in Calgary, then he showed up here.

If he does retire, it will be one of the least surprising things to happen this off season.

There seems to be 2 types of retirement

1. the Victory lap, well thought out and planned

2 the I just don't feel like I can get up for it anymore

If 2 is true, that was a pretty poor move to sign a deal two months ago and then inform your team at the end of September you might not want to play after all.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1