The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

39 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

This make little sense. Why is retirement on the table now, then why did he sign the deal with the Canucks in the Summer? 

Seems a bit odd, the timing, considering that he signed the deal, and when vaccines were made mandatory for all players, only is this coming out now? 

Vaccines aren't mandatory.  There are different protocols for vaccinated / unvaccinated.  Salary can be withheld for the days missed by an unvaccinated player due to quarantine requirements or if he tests positive.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

This make little sense. Why is retirement on the table now, then why did he sign the deal with the Canucks in the Summer? 

Seems a bit odd, the timing, considering that he signed the deal, and when vaccines were made mandatory for all players, only is this coming out now? 

Why does everyone keep assuming that he's unvaccinated? He has a sick kid, it is more likely around that.

One fan suggests that "MAYBE" he's against vaccination and suddenly, its gospel on this board.

Unbelievable 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So what happens to the cap hit of Hamonic if he does decide to retire? 

Does the team get cap relief? 

If he retires there are no more obligations and his cap hit comes off the books.

If he decides to opt out he would still be under contract in 2022/23.  The Canucks could also toll the contract - ie have it run for 2022/23 to 2023/24.  The decision to opt out is due by this Friday at the latest.  

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Why does everyone keep assuming that he's unvaccinated? He has a sick kid, it is more likely around that.

One fan suggests that "MAYBE" he's against vaccination and suddenly, its gospel on this board.

Unbelievable 

Maybe he's worried about travelling so much, especially to the States, and bringing illness back to his child?  Although, I'm sure the team would have him tested before coming home, so that could ease his mind somewhat.  Maybe it's simple, and he wants to be home with his family?  Maybe he's just done playing?   

• Cheers 4

8 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

If 2 is true, that was a pretty poor move to sign a deal two months ago and then inform your team at the end of September you might not want to play after all.

like I said, he never really seems committed even from back in his Islander days.

I bought tickets to a show 2 months ago, thinking the virus was receding, cases have spiked since then

protocols are stricter now than they were 2 months ago

masks are mandatory in more places

a teammate has contracted it

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would be a massive blow if Hamonic doesn't play this season, we really don't have someone else who can cover up Hughes' mistakes. JB will be forced into a trade for a shutdown defenceman mid-season.

Regardless of the cause, let's hope he suits up...

Poolman should be a decent partner, or we can try Hughes on the right with OEL.

I'm partial to a Manson deal if we're able to work out an extension.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

like I said, he never really seems committed even from back in his Islander days.

I bought tickets to a show 2 months ago, thinking the virus was receding, cases have spiked since then

protocols are stricter now than they were 2 months ago

masks are mandatory in more places

a teammate has contracted it

Good point. When he signed in late July, we were hitting our best lows in terms of covid numbers. The spike in covid cases from his signing to now is a significant development.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Poolman should be a decent partner, or we can try Hughes on the right with OEL.

I'm partial to a Manson deal if we're able to work out an extension.

I'm starting to lean towards trying Hughes/OEL together. Hopefully Rathbone can continue to develop into a great 2LD to give them that depth flexibility.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe he's worried about travelling so much, especially to the States, and bringing illness back to his child?  Although, I'm sure the team would have him tested before coming home, so that could ease his mind somewhat.  Maybe it's simple, and he wants to be home with his family?  Maybe he's just done playing?   

That's what I think, Alf

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Unbelievable 

Ian MacIntyre is assuming it's vaccination related.

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

I'm starting to lean towards trying Hughes/OEL together. Hopefully Rathbone can continue to develop into a great 2LD to give them that depth flexibility.

Hughes has already volunteered to play right D (18 months ago) ..... said that in some ways he prefers it as the angles are better for a leftie playing the right boards

Quote from "Vancouver is Awesome " ...

When Hughes was drafted, he made it clear the he felt he could play both sides equally well.

“I feel just as comfortable on the right as I do on the left,” said Hughes. “There’s positives and negatives to both. If I’m a rightie on the blue line, I can just walk in on my forehand. if I’m a leftie, I have to skate over. I don’t know if I explained that the best, but trust me, there’s positives and negatives to both.”

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

Good point. When he signed in late July, we were hitting our best lows in terms of covid numbers. The spike in covid cases from his signing to now is a significant development.

Good points. How many US teams have a 100% vaccination/mask mandate for their home games? Vaccinated or not, I wouldn't want to bring any of that home. Watching NFL football, no masks at all, scary s&*t.

Edited by johngould21
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Possibly, but then again he just signed his contract. Did he expect they would be playing games via Zoom?

Hard to speculate on what his reasons are, but considering the NHL has announced phenomenal vaccination rates among their players, it really makes me scratch my head to know what changed for him in the last few weeks.

Great post. That bolded part was funny. :P Yeah I can't figure out a scenario where this works out smartly. I have to question his decision making skills in this case. Maybe he's just terrified to do anything and leaves his options open to the last second before bailing out. I would feel more for him if he was a regular Joe trying to make ends meet but like Eddie Murphy said, 'the ends are meeting like a motherf$#*er'.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Unbelievable 

Mainly because he's had a sick kid all along. This didn't just come about recently but vaccine protocols in the NHL did. Something isn't adding up properly here.

Regardless of what the reasoning behind his absence is, whether it's that he feels it's too dangerous for his family to be living the NHL, whether it's skepticism about the vaccine, whatever the case may be, I won't hold it against him too much. This is an insane situation that all of mankind is trying to cope with. I would never be so arrogant as to assume that I had all the answers. We're all trying to do the best we can.

On a more hockey related note, losing Travis is a massive blow to the blueline. The one thing I am annoyed with both Travis and Jim for is offering/signing the contract to begin with. Jim should have made damn sure that everyone he signed was willing to get poked and was 100% ready to play, and Hamonic shouldn't have signed a contract if he had any reservations about playing this season. Now we're in a situation where, if Travis doesn't play, we're going to enter the season with a subpar blueline unless we trade for one last second.

• Cheers 1