The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

6 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm wondering of one reason why the Canucks haven't suspended Hamonic yet is to maximize LTIR use at the start of the season?  If I remember correctly, then don't they basically have to be over the cap for as close to an amount of the LTIR space they hope to use as possible?   In that case, having Hamonic's cap hit is helpful at least to start the year, no?  Maybe they'll demand he report after the start of the season and suspend him if he doesn't.

honestly I'm not sure how the math will work.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't...I just get so bloody annoyed at people speculating about a poor guy with a child with a life-threatening condition as if he is doing something wrong by thinking about her first.    It really isn't fair and if I was moderating this board I would ban anyone who brings it up.    It is pure $&!#e.   

meh, you've posted a few doozies yourself Rob. Glass houses and all that.

There's nothing wrong with discussing what might be going on, as long as its respectful.

Before the NHL restart back in 2020, Hamonic opted out of participating in the playoffs citing concerns about bringing the virus back to his daughter who was, and is still, battling a respiratory illness.

Due to what my daughter already has gone through and the concerns if she were to catch COVID-19, I’ve decided to opt out and seek a leave of absence from the Calgary Flames for the remainder of the playoffs. I wish I could lace up my skates and be out there battling, blocking a shot and helping the team win, but my family has and always will come first. Being my little kids’ dad every day is the most important job I have.

Travis Hamonic

Oh Travis. Obviously you do not have the cojones to be consequent in your decision making. If you want the best for your family you should have opted out for the season 2021/2002 or you should announce your retirement.
@ Jim Benning: in the process of making a decision to sign or not sign a player you HAVE TO evalute the risks associated with this specific player. You haven't done your due diligence once again.
  • Wat 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't...I just get so bloody annoyed at people speculating about a poor guy with a child with a life-threatening condition as if he is doing something wrong by thinking about her first.    It really isn't fair and if I was moderating this board I would ban anyone who brings it up.    It is pure $&!#e.   

If Hamonic's biggest concern is if his kid gets covid, then doesn't it make sense that he'd be vaccinated?  I'd guess 1 in 10,000 that he's had the jab.

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Before the NHL restart back in 2020, Hamonic opted out of participating in the playoffs citing concerns about bringing the virus back to his daughter who was, and is still, battling a respiratory illness.

Due to what my daughter already has gone through and the concerns if she were to catch COVID-19, I’ve decided to opt out and seek a leave of absence from the Calgary Flames for the remainder of the playoffs. I wish I could lace up my skates and be out there battling, blocking a shot and helping the team win, but my family has and always will come first. Being my little kids’ dad every day is the most important job I have.

Travis Hamonic

Oh Travis. Obviously you do not have the cojones to be consequent in your decision making. If you want the best for your family you should have opted out for the season 2021/2002 or you should announce your retirement.
@ Jim Benning: in the process of making a decision to sign or not sign a player you HAVE TO evalute the risks associated with this specific player. You haven't done your due diligence once again.

Safe to say that he's conflicted and has gone back and forth with his decision to play or not.  I give him credit for making the right decisions in the end.  Sucks for the Canucks.  I hate it when people are indecisive.

• Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

I really don't understand what's going on here

cap management. We save a 23 man roster spot and 1.025 mil for someone else.

No one's claiming Hamonic without talking to his agent. If Hamonic isn't sure about his playing status, no one is going to claim him.

Benning sure is my helping his “it is none of your business don’t ask questions!” Cause here.

Says the guy will be in camp

Insists the guy is flying in the next day 

Says he won’t be at camp and is dealing with a personal issue… stop asking questions.

Says he didn’t opt out of the season

Then waived him….

If he didn’t opt out and isn’t going to report he should be suspended or have his contract terminated.  If he is dealing with a personal/mental health issue he should go into the player assistance program and be on LTIR.  If he is hurt he should be on LTIR.

Benning needs to actually address what the hell he is doing here…

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

cap management. We save a 23 man roster spot and 1.025 mil for someone else.

No one's claiming Hamonic without talking to his agent. If Hamonic isn't sure about his playing status, no one is going to claim him.

Except the guy should either be suspended/terminated or on LTIR which would save much more money…

Waiving him makes no sense.  There doesn’t seem to be any math that makes this specific move necessary to maximize LTIR for Ferland

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Except the guy should either be suspended/terminated or on LTIR which would save much more money…

Waiving him makes no sense 

it does if Jim thinks he will come back at some point this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Benning sure is my helping his “it is none of your business don’t ask questions!” Cause here.

Says he won’t be at camp and is dealing with a personal issue… stop asking questions.

Then waived him….

If he didn’t opt out and isn’t going to report he should be suspended or have his contract terminated.  If he is dealing with a personal/mental health issue he should go into the player assistance program and be on LTIR.  If he is hurt he should be on LTIR.

Maybe more players would opt in to the Player Assistance Program if it wasn't announced every time a player goes into it. it should be a confidential program like any work place EFAP program.

• Vintage 2

Just now, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Do you mean if he isn't named to the starting roster today and doesn't go through waivers today, that he would have to clear waivers to join the team at a later time?

while Hamonic is figuring out whatever he needs to, it makes sense to save on the cap and waive him down in the meantime. There aren't re-entry waivers anymore so we'd waive whoever his interim replacement was, e.g., if we picked up Petrovic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Then waived him….

?

Just because he isn't announcing it, doesn't mean he isn't addressing it.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

?

Just because he isn't announcing it, doesn't mean he isn't addressing it.

Guess what comes with the territory making millions of dollars and operating a major league sports team… or any business.  

Communicating with your customers when you are asking them to patronize and support your business.

If Hamonic was dealing with personal issues he could be put on LTIR without giving any specific details of the reason.

If Hamonic was just refusing to report because he changed his mind after signing his contract then he should be suspended or terminated.

If something totally unusual is happening he should be telling his customers.

This isn’t rocket science.  You just have to go look at how Bergevin and Price have handled their situation in a much more aggressive and rabid market than ours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

If Hamonic was dealing with personal issues he could be put on LTIR without giving any specific details of the reason.

is that true? I've never heard of ltir for someone dealing with a family issue, e.g.

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

Then waived him….

I’m with you on this one. Pre season is one thing to keep the cards close to your chest. Waiving a player like Hamonic with no press doesn’t exactly give me a lot of faith in management. Why sign a player that doesn’t show up to camp and lie to the media that he will be there?  

I’ve defended a lot of things that Benning has done but this one has me shaking my head…