The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

That only holds true if the Canucks do not re-sign Edler. I think Benn is gone at the end of the season but Edler is 50/50 IMO.

I hear you. I do believe that at some point, the team does need to move on from Edler to bring in the new guard. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I honestly think he probably is worth 3 1/2 to 4 mil on the open market IF he did not want a NMC as part of his contract.

Again, he'd be in the same $4-4.5m x 4 year ball-park as Tanev on the open market without his special requirements.

The fact that he very much wants to stay in Western Canada should impact that valuation to some degree. The question is; how much? Would he be willing to accept a 2.75 mil / 2 yr contract with a full NMC and continue to play for the Canucks; or could EDM or WIN offer him a better deal and we lose out on his services.

That's the million dollar question. The more Jim can wait him out and otherwise build depth, the more leverage we have to bring it down. But also more risk he goes elsewhere.

The other factor IMO, is whether Tryamkin returns to the Canucks or not and what salary range and term he would be willing to sign for.

I think it's quite likely he's back. I doubt he's over $2m.

I have my doubts that you will see both of them in a Canucks uniform mainly because of salary cap limitations.

We'll have the cap for both of we want them. We're really not as pinched as people would have you believe. The only mystery IMO is whether we bring back Hamonic or Edler. I think that's the more likely either/or scenario.

It would be great to have both but just do not see it happening unless JB gets really creative in the re-signing of a number of our young stars.

Not really any need to get creative. 

@Kootenay GoldI outlined this yesterday in another thread.

After differed bonuses and re-signing Petey, Hughes and Demko ($18m) etc, we have about $10m. Add an (all but certain) Eriksson buyout and we're up to about $12m.

Plus we're going to lose someone's cap in the ED.

Add Rathbone, Podkolzin, likely Lind or similar and that's around $3m. Tryamkin around $2m.

I'm hoping we can trade (Virtanen + ?) for the 3C we need adding about $500k-$1m.

My math shows about $5-$6m left to re-sign one of Edler or Hamonic.

Buyout Roussel as well and we gain another $1.2m (minus his replacement). Someone like Boyd or Hawryluck on a $700-$800k deal saves another half million.

We have plenty of space.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

After differed bonuses and re-signing Petey, Hughes and Demko ($18m) etc, we have about $10m. Add an (all but certain) Eriksson buyout and we're up to about $12m.

Add Rathbone, Podkolzin, likely Lind or similar and that's around $3m. Tryamkin around $2m.

I'm hoping we can trade (Virtanen + ?) for the 3C we need adding about $500k-$1m.

Buyout Roussel as well and we gain another $1.2m (minus his replacement). Someone like Boyd or Hawryluck on a $700-$800k deal saves another half million.

We have plenty of space.

If we agree that Hamonic is a top 4 d-man I think he is offered +$4 million even in a Covid CAP. Maybe less if he gets term or a LNTC. RD next year will be Meyers, Hamonic, Tryamkin, Rathbone? I don't know if Benning can give Hamonic a full NMC or much more than 3 years in term. Can Tryamkin fill his spot? If not in year 1 how about year 2?   

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If we agree that Hamonic is a top 4 d-man I think he is offered +$4 million even in a Covid CAP. Maybe less if he gets term or a LNTC. RD next year will be Meyers, Hamonic, Tryamkin, Rathbone? I don't know if Benning can give Hamonic a full NMC or much more than 3 years in term. Can Tryamkin fill his spot? If not in year 1 how about year 2?   

We'll see. His wanting to play ONLY in Western Canada doesn't help his bargaining position.

Rathbone is a lefty FYI. I'd imagine he gets similar 6-7 D treatment to Juolevi this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We have plenty of space.

Who do you think is lost in the expansion draft? I fear it might be MacEwen. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Depends on who we expose. A LOT of dominoes to fall before that. 

Do we make a trade for the 3C I mentioned? Who goes back the other way? (If one of the pieces is MacEwan, he can't very well get selected from us for instance.)

Do we make a trade for a younger RD set to be lost to expansion and expose Myers?

Do we re-sign Hamonic and expose Myers?

IMO, in almost any scenario we expose Myers, he's the one SEA selects. All this 'they won't take him because of his contract' is silly talk.

With additional practice and play time, does Holtby round in to form?

Do we make a deal to get them to take cap (Roussel?)

As is today, protecting Myers (after finding someone to expose) and not making any trades etc... I'd suspect we lose one of Gaudette, Virtanen or MacEwan.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Depends on who we expose. A LOT of dominoes to fall before that. 

Do we make a trade for the 3C I mentioned? Who goes back the other way? (If one of the pieces is MacEwan, he can't very well get selected from us for instance.)

Do we make a trade for a younger RD set to be lost to expansion and expose Myers?

Do we re-sign Hamonic and expose Myers?

IMO, in almost any scenario we expose Myers, he's the one SEA selects. All this 'they won't take him because of his contract' is silly talk.

With additional practice and play time, does Holtby round in to form?

Do we make a deal to get them to take cap (Roussel?)

As is today, protecting Myers (after finding someone to expose) and not making any trades etc... I'd suspect we lose one of Gaudette, Virtanen or MacEwan.

Fair enough. I believe Myers trade protection is up after this season as well. Myers contract is nowhere near albatross land. He's a very functional top 4 defenseman. $6M is the cost for one. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

The time to sign Hamonic, like with Edler, is after ED. 

They want to be here, its no issue unless someone makes it one. No doubt Hamonic only wants to sign now if he gets another NMC. Which I am not opposed to by the way? Just don't want to tie up any ED slots. Thats my first thought.

As an aside, if my math is correct?  We have to expose one of Schmidt or Myers anyway. To meet the requirement for exposing D who have met the games played threshold. So maybe signing Hamonic now, with an NMC, makes no difference.  Just lets us maybe get him at a lower dollar...  Yes I am spinning in a circle. Covering all sides of the discussion.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I am up in the air about who they will ultimately protect both in the FWD and D groups. On D, my guess would be Schmidt, Myers and Juolevi are protected. They would have to re-sign Benn or some acquired D-man in order to meet the exposure requirement for the D position. As for FWD's I have Petterssson, Miller, Boesser, Horvat, Lind, Virtanen (if he is not moved at trade deadline), and Pearson if they can re-sign him at a decent price. If not then Motte takes his place on the protected list. It should be interesting to see how it actually plays out. I am also hoping they can move Sutter or also possibly Virtanen at the trade deadline.

Hoping to see what other posters have on their lists for comparison / discussion.

• Vintage 1

Lots of teams out there that want to add a defenceman like the Winnipeg Jets, the Philadelphia Flyers, the Carolina Hurricanes, the Florida Panthers..... . I wonder if Harmonic would be willing to waive if a team like Winnipeg would call Jim. I know that Harmonic wants to stay in West Canada and Winnipeg is not West Canada. Most important thing is that Jim gets an extension done.

Vancouver Canucks defenseman Travis Hamonic is getting interest from around the league. Sportsnet reported he wants to stay and coach Travis Green hopes he can stay as well.

“We like him as a player and individual,” coach Travis Green said Sunday. “He’s hard to play against and has been everything we’d hope he’d be. Hopefully he can stay here.”

That's a tricky one, because I am not sure if Canucks are going to have enough cap space after signing Demko, Hughes and Pettersson to get a deal done with Harmonic. My best guess is Harmonic will be forced to leave money at the table if he decides to stay in VAN. In the end of the day it's simple math for Jim. He should know if Canucks are going to have enough cap space for re-signing Harmonic. If he already knows that they won't have enough Cap space he should talk to be  Harmonic right away and let him know  that Canucks won't be able to re-sign him in the hope that Harmonic waives and Canucks get a 2nd round pick for Harmonic.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Lots of teams out there that want to add a defenceman like the Winnipeg Jets, the Philadelphia Flyers, the Carolina Hurricanes, the Florida Panthers..... . I wonder if Harmonic would be willing to waive if a team like Winnipeg would call Jim. I know that Harmonic wants to stay in West Canada and Winnipeg is not West Canada. Most important thing is that Jim gets an extension done.

Pretty sure his family is from WPG... And yes that is still considered 'Western' Canada FWIW. He may simply not want to move teams at all, which is his prerogative.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

That's a tricky one, because I am not sure if Canucks are going to have enough cap space after signing Demko, Hughes and Pettersson to get a deal done with Harmonic. My best guess is Harmonic will be forced to leave money at the table if he decides to stay in VAN. In the end of the day it's simple math for Jim. He should know if Canucks are going to have enough cap space for re-signing Harmonic. If he already knows that they won't have enough Cap space he should talk to be  Harmonic right away and let him know  that Canucks won't be able to re-sign him in the hope that Harmonic waives and Canucks get a 2nd round pick for Harmonic.

Already talked about the cap yesterday:

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/395543-travis-hamonic-l-27-l-d/?do=findComment&comment=15767597

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

Sure hope Hamonic and his daughter (who already has respiratory issues) are OK.

This covid thing blows.

I read the story about hi young daughters respiratory issues... Must be so hard and Dad will have to isolate away from the family home now....

Hope Travis Hamonic and other Canuck players have a fast recovery..

On 3/30/2021 at 12:18 PM, Boudrias said:

I would not sign Hamonic for more than 1 year at a time

I am kind of surprized tha he does not get more flack

2017(or was it 2016) he asks for a trade off NYI, then puts up a -21 season

that was  a middling team, but Boychuck +11, Siedenberg +25 and DeHaan +15 were also on that defense

he opts out of the Bubble last year

and gets a NMC from the Canucks

Hamonic might be the best player signed in late August for the next 4 years

but I would nott give him term

• Cheers 1

On March 30, 2021 at 11:29 AM, aGENT said:

We have plenty of space.

About 25 million of cap space -- Demko 5 million -- Petey 7.2 - Hughes 6.8 --- 19 million could be a little higher?

So 6 million left...

Podkolzin -- 3 yr entry level 970,000.

Juolevi -- 1 X 850,000

Gaudette - 1 million X1yr show  me more

Boyd    - 850,000 -1 yr

Vesey  1yr -780,000

Need to sign Hamonic 2 X  2 million

1. Boeser -- Horvat - Podkolzin

2. Miller - Petey - Hoglander

3. Motte - Boyd - Vesey    - Gaudette -  ( Virtanen could be still here...

4 MacEwen - Beagle --- Lind - Roussel -- Gadjovic  

Edited by wildcam

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I would not sign Hamonic for more than 1 year at a time

I am kind of surprized tha he does not get more flack

2017(or was it 2016) he asks for a trade off NYI, then puts up a -21 season

that was  a middling team, but Boychuck +11, Siedenberg +25 and DeHaan +15 were also on that defense

he opts out of the Bubble last year

and gets a NMC from the Canucks

Hamonic might be the best player signed in late August for the next 4 years

but I would nott give him term

Who knows what it will take to re-sign him. He has had a tough time in his personal life over the past few years so leeway is needed. If he wants to stay in Western Canada then he will be limited in his ask. I just assume that he might take less but want more term and protection from being moved. He might have to settle for less money and a limited NMC. What's worse is that this season has been such a disaster on so many levels. We don't get to see Hamonic play 82 games. I like his game but how do you evaluate? I think all this works against him getting term beyond 3 years and likely limits his ask on money. With Tryamkin coming all of a sudden the RD is getting crowded. 

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Who knows what it will take to re-sign him. He has had a tough time in his personal life over the past few years so leeway is needed. If he wants to stay in Western Canada then he will be limited in his ask. I just assume that he might take less but want more term and protection from being moved. He might have to settle for less money and a limited NMC. What's worse is that this season has been such a disaster on so many levels. We don't get to see Hamonic play 82 games. I like his game but how do you evaluate? I think all this works against him getting term beyond 3 years and likely limits his ask on money. With Tryamkin coming all of a sudden the RD is getting crowded. 

yes

I look at Hamonic like a 35 year old

I know he is only 30 but he has been asking for trades and making demends since he was 26

I just feel he is a guy that is in it for the money (hockey is a job that pays well) 

he seem to me to be a guy that can be dragged into in game agression because he has played for his whole life

but he does not really seem driven at all

I wonder how many of these types of players a team can withstand?

Edler, Sutter, Ericksson, Virtanen are all kind of the same

that is why I like Beagle, but he is getting too old and Miller

people hate the Tkachuks but they bring something this team lacks

On 3/30/2021 at 2:05 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

The time to sign Hamonic, like with Edler, is after ED. 

They want to be here, its no issue unless someone makes it one. No doubt Hamonic only wants to sign now if he gets another NMC. Which I am not opposed to by the way? Just don't want to tie up any ED slots. Thats my first thought.

Definately wait until after the ED. 

The Canucks will have to re-sign Benn (or acquire a cheap dman) if they want to protect their 3 available d.  I prefer they expose Myers, rather than sign a 6th or 7th guy.  I doubt Seattle picks Myers, but if they do, the Canucks are up $6m.  This $ could be used on signing, Edler, Harmonic and Tryamkin.

Hughes   Hamonic

Edler      Schmidt

Joulevi   Tryamkin

If Seattle doesn't pick Myers...Edler won't be signed unless he comes cheap, but then one of Joulevi or Tryamkin get bumped.

Hughes    Hamonic

Schmidt   Myers

Joulevi     Tryamkin

*Nobody really knows how Tryamkin will perform, but the only option to signing him, would be to trade his rights, which I doubt JB would do.

I guess it boils down to deciding which player better fits the team and whether you want the player in the long term or short term.

1 minute ago, lmm said:

yes

I look at Hamonic like a 35 year old

I know he is only 30 but he has been asking for trades and making demends since he was 26

I just feel he is a guy that is in it for the money (hockey is a job that pays well) 

he seem to me to be a guy that can be dragged into in game agression because he has played for his whole life

but he does not really seem driven at all

I wonder how many of these types of players a team can withstand?

Edler, Sutter, Ericksson, Virtanen are all kind of the same

that is why I like Beagle, but he is getting too old and Miller

people hate the Tkachuks but they bring something this team lacks

I don't see it that way at all.  When he asked NYI for a trade he agreed to wait until they could find a good one.  His desire to play in Western Canada is due to the health issues of his daughter.  His decisions are about family; not money. 

He struggled in the beginning of the season after coming in late (missing training camp and some games) and then after a few crappy games he got injured.  Since his return, he has been playing really well, is a good fit with Quinn and plays the physical defensive game the team needs.

Because of his limited team list, he is unable to get the kind of contract he could get otherwise.  His value is in excess of $4m, but he will likely sign for far less.  Keep the term short, this becomes a great signing for the club (and fills a very weak spot on our team).  As long as the Canucks only have Woo as the next RD in waiting, the team needs to keep bringing in short term guys and finding youngsters in the draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1