The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't see it that way at all.  When he asked NYI for a trade he agreed to wait until they could find a good one.  His desire to play in Western Canada is due to the health issues of his daughter.  His decisions are about family; not money. 

He struggled in the beginning of the season after coming in late (missing training camp and some games) and then after a few crappy games he got injured.  Since his return, he has been playing really well, is a good fit with Quinn and plays the physical defensive game the team needs.

Because of his limited team list, he is unable to get the kind of contract he could get otherwise.  His value is in excess of $4m, but he will likely sign for far less.  Keep the term short, this becomes a great signing for the club (and fills a very weak spot on our team).  As long as the Canucks only have Woo as the next RD in waiting, the team needs to keep bringing in short term guys and finding youngsters in the draft.

let me be clear

I have nothing against Travis Hamonic as a person, parent, husband, or his skill as a player.

I do not believe that he is a greedy person

He has family issues that I think the team should be able to accomadate.

at $1.25 m his contract is a gift

but when a guy l spends his life honing his skills to make $4 M per year or is faced with retirement at minimum wage (I am not sure what his "other"skills are)

its easy to see him continue playing after the fire has burned low.

I would not call it greed, but it is not being driven to win either.

I was discussing players like Perry, Thornton and Spezza who took low $ deals , looking to win a cup rather than make big coin

I think Hamonic is different than those guys as his motivation is around his family

Which I think is admirable in a person and makes Hamonic a good person

but in the end this team needs more Kesler, more "My pinkie is broken, cut it off so I can play in the playoffs"

edit

hey I got a bag

I gotta say there are too many fans of this team that make up too many excuses 

which make it too easy for this team of nice guys to finish (near)* last 

* near because you know Buffalo

Edited by lmm
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

let me be clear

I have nothing against Travis Hamonic as a person, parent, husband, or his skill as a player.

but when a guy l spends his life honing his skills to make $4 M per year or is faced with retirement at minimum wage (I am not sure what his "other"skills are)

I was discussing players like Perry, Thornton and Spezza who took low $ deals , looking to win a cup rather than make big coin

I think Hamonic is different than those guys as his motivation is around his family

but in the end this team needs more Kesler, more "My pinkie is broken, cut it off so I can play in the playoffs"

How do you know this?  Do you know of other players that put the game of hockey over and above their family concerns?

As I recall, Kes made that statement when he was very young.  When players (and non players) start having kids, their priorities change.

Regardless of what you or I think of Hamonic's agenda, he is still a very good RD who can be signed for a very good price and term.  The good UFA dmen (especially righties) will want a lot more $ and term to sign.

As I stated before, the Canucks need him to fill the spot until they can find a replacement other than just Woo.  That might even happen next season, or possibly the following with a great draft; hopefully not by trading away a core player or signing an expensive and long term  UFA contract.  

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, lmm said:

let me be clear

edit

hey I got a bag

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

How do you know this?  Do you know of other players that put the game of hockey over and above their family concerns?

As I recall, Kes made that statement when he was very young.  When players (and non players) start having kids, their priorities change.

Regardless of what you or I think of Hamonic's agenda, he is still a very good RD who can be signed for a very good price and term.  The good UFA dmen (especially righties) will want a lot more $ and term to sign.

As I stated before, the Canucks need him to fill the spot until they can find a replacement other than just Woo.  That might even happen next season, or possibly the following with a great draft; hopefully not by trading away a core player or signing an expensive and long term  UFA contract.  

First off,

I don't "know" anything

everything I say is my opinion based on information I find on the internet (so, could be flawed)

What can you say you know?

anyway

Spaz is Literally a hometown discount contract (he was born in Toronto) he signed in Toronto that make his contract a Home Town contract and it is cheap = discount

Big Joe is from London, so his contract is a Home Province discount

I don't know anything, maybe they just signed in Toronto because they thought playing for their HomeTown/Province team is an easy way to play out their careers

BUt maybe they think helping their howmtown/province team  win a cup would be good for their after hockey reputation, I don't know. What do you think/know

Hamonic has stated he has family concerns

many poster above have refferenced his family issues

I don't know, but I believe that he has family issues

I don't even know that he has a family, but I believe that he does, and that they are of concern to him.

I don't know that Kesler said that, but it was reported at the time, maybe it was just a story Friedman made up for clicks

Who really knows anything in this day and age

maybe all sports heros are robots, I don't know, do you know that all sports heros are not robots/graffics?

anyway, lets just assume for the sake of this arguement that Kesler was willing to cut off his pinkie when he was young, because that is the story that was going around at that time. and lets also assume that we know Kesler wanted to leave Vancouver because he wanted to win a cup in Anahiem, because that was also the story at that time, lets just pretend that we know that stuff to be true, or whats the point. We need more players who really really want to win that stupid cup or we will be stuck with a bunch of nice guys tha make us feel kind of warm and fuzzy, but never get it dome.

Sorry if this was a little long winded and perhaps snarky, but when you ask anyone on the internet what they know it really all comes back to Emanuel Kant

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-transcendental-idealism/

20 minutes ago, lmm said:

First off,

I don't "know" anything

everything I say is my opinion based on information I find on the internet (so, could be flawed)

What can you say you know?

anyway

Spaz is Literally a hometown discount contract (he was born in Toronto) he signed in Toronto that make his contract a Home Town contract and it is cheap = discount

Big Joe is from London, so his contract is a Home Province discount

I don't know anything, maybe they just signed in Toronto because they thought playing for their HomeTown/Province team is an easy way to play out their careers

BUt maybe they think helping their howmtown/province team  win a cup would be good for their after hockey reputation, I don't know. What do you think/know

Hamonic has stated he has family concerns

many poster above have refferenced his family issues

I don't know, but I believe that he has family issues

I don't even know that he has a family, but I believe that he does, and that they are of concern to him.

I don't know that Kesler said that, but it was reported at the time, maybe it was just a story Friedman made up for clicks

Who really knows anything in this day and age

maybe all sports heros are robots, I don't know, do you know that all sports heros are not robots/graffics?

anyway, lets just assume for the sake of this arguement that Kesler was willing to cut off his pinkie when he was young, because that is the story that was going around at that time. and lets also assume that we know Kesler wanted to leave Vancouver because he wanted to win a cup in Anahiem, because that was also the story at that time, lets just pretend that we know that stuff to be true, or whats the point. We need more players who really really want to win that stupid cup or we will be stuck with a bunch of nice guys tha make us feel kind of warm and fuzzy, but never get it dome.

Sorry if this was a little long winded and perhaps snarky, but when you ask anyone on the internet what they know it really all comes back to Emanuel Kant

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-transcendental-idealism/

How 'bout we just not respond to each other's posts.  That would feel warm and fuzzy for sure.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Pretty deep for a 'know nothing' guy like you. 

well I was trying to have a convo about Hamonic, but you went all proofy on me

I am actually more of an intuit than a proof guy

On 4/3/2021 at 2:08 PM, lmm said:

yes

I look at Hamonic like a 35 year old

I know he is only 30 but he has been asking for trades and making demends since he was 26

I just feel he is a guy that is in it for the money (hockey is a job that pays well) 

he seem to me to be a guy that can be dragged into in game agression because he has played for his whole life

but he does not really seem driven at all

I wonder how many of these types of players a team can withstand?

Edler, Sutter, Ericksson, Virtanen are all kind of the same

that is why I like Beagle, but he is getting too old and Miller

people hate the Tkachuks but they bring something this team lacks

To a degree I agree. That said I don’t hold any thing against Hamonic for putting his family first. Hockey is a job for these men. I have liked Hamonics game in most games. He brings a decent physical presence, especially in front of the net. Meyers is a better offensive player and Hamonic better in the dzone. The big unknown is whether Tryamkin can displace one of these players in the top 4. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I could be wrong but as well as not wishing to play in the play-offs didn't Harmonic have some injury problems too ? This season I don't think many were willing to gamble on him so Vcr got him at a bargain price. Now he's proved himself  I would think other teams may be willing to spin the wheel on the guy

On 4/3/2021 at 12:33 PM, lmm said:

I think that there is this mentality that we "Must win every trade"

and that we "Must wring every last drop of usefulness" out of every player before parting with them

this is very prevailent among posters, but I also feel it from management

Other teams seem to deal with players as assets.

"We needed a R shot D so we traded player X"

it does not involve team ego or the outgoing player letting the GM/coach down

player X can then be brought back without shame.

Canuckville is different

if Loui or Jake get traded we could run a lottery  for the right to "Drive them to the airport and tell them what a POS they are as player and human"

Over in the Pearson thread, I am discussing whether he should be traded or re-upped

I thnik trade other poster says sign for 3 years

IMO 3 years takes Pearson right to the cusp of uselessness, but posters often reply with"but 90 %of 3rd round picks never play in the NHL"

the oximoron is that we have a GM that is supposed to be able to find players in any round, but to trade a player for a pick is met with the above stat.

the above is from the Hinnistroza thread

and why past Canucks are not welcomed back

58 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

To a degree I agree. That said I don’t hold any thing against Hamonic for putting his family first. Hockey is a job for these men. I have liked Hamonics game in most games. He brings a decent physical presence, especially in front of the net. Meyers is a better offensive player and Hamonic better in the dzone. The big unknown is whether Tryamkin can displace one of these players in the top 4. 

When I see this.^

I think that is not the right attitude about player relationhsip

I don't hold anything against Sven Baertschi or Michael Ferland

but they were not good contracts to sign

If Hamonic wants control over where he plays then it should be on a one year contract

The Canucks are over loadedd with "Clause" contracts

I do not feel it is about holding grudges

You are 30, you want a MNC I'll sign you for 1 year

That would be my policy, no hard feelings

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2021 at 4:13 PM, lmm said:

To me, it seems to many fans have no concept or ability to accept players have different motivations and needs.

An inability to see nuance is a major flaw, makes it too easy for people to get down on human beings.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 7:25 PM, Nuck1991 said:

these last few games, hes playing like a top 4, i would get him resigned asap

He should come pretty cheap, 2x2 or so.  I really like his game, 75% as good as Tanev for ~25% of the cost.

• Like 1

Hamonic has been a beauty, I hope they have the cap space to sign him.  He's a great partner with Hughes and I think they'll do everything they can to get him back.  However, it leaves the team in a bit of a quandry, If Hamonic signs, Tryamkin comes back, Elder re-ups and Myers makes it through the ED then there's a logjam in the top 6 D.

Hughes

Hamonic

Myers

Schmidt

OJ

Tryamkin

Edler

At 35, does Edler spend most of the time in the press box?  He's still a solid player and with less mins (and easier mins) does it make sense to sit him in the PB.  I think they'll want OJ playing top 5 mins, at least. 

• Cheers 4

Hamonic looks happy,  his play lately is one of a healthy clear mind and heart..  whatever issues there are for Travis,  I’m just happy that he is playing clear minded and above average, and undistracted hockey.

prrhaps he has found a home here for at least 2 more years.

have to add, I think Hughes plays better defensively with Hamonic,.  And that is allowing Hamonic to be more offensive himself at times.  Great pairing, Chemistry can be everything.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1

Hamonic played 21 minutes last night, he's carved out himself a nice niche alongside Hughes - something many defencemen cannot do. Nice to see him try the slapshot on every now and then because he can find it through to the net as well.

JB has to get him locked up, at least 2 years. I worry he might ask for a fair bit more but 2.5M x 2 years seems reasonable considering he hasn't scored very much at all. He is playing like a not-so-poor-man's Tanev at the moment and is really rounding out our top-4 nicely.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 4/26/2021 at 4:32 AM, stawns said:

Hamonic has been a beauty, I hope they have the cap space to sign him.  He's a great partner with Hughes and I think they'll do everything they can to get him back.  However, it leaves the team in a bit of a quandry, If Hamonic signs, Tryamkin comes back, Elder re-ups and Myers makes it through the ED then there's a logjam in the top 6 D.

Hughes

Hamonic

Myers

Schmidt

OJ

Tryamkin

Edler

At 35, does Edler spend most of the time in the press box?  He's still a solid player and with less mins (and easier mins) does it make sense to sit him in the PB.  I think they'll want OJ playing top 5 mins, at least. 

Agree 100% ... I'd rather see Hamonic, OJ and Tryamkin and one of Rathbone, Rafferty, etc than Edler. Let him get his 100th NHL goal and then retire. Plus, you never know after the expansion draft, etc ... what late salary cap victim / surprise might drop in to JB's lap just like Hamonic did. Edler has been looking REALLY slow this season. Spend the limited cap $$ on renewing Hamonic, not on resigning Edler.

9 hours ago, boomer29 said:

Agree 100% ... I'd rather see Hamonic, OJ and Tryamkin and one of Rathbone, Rafferty, etc than Edler. Let him get his 100th NHL goal and then retire. Plus, you never know after the expansion draft, etc ... what late salary cap victim / surprise might drop in to JB's lap just like Hamonic did. Edler has been looking REALLY slow this season. Spend the limited cap $$ on renewing Hamonic, not on resigning Edler.

I can see resigning Edler on one year deals at $1.5 mil. No trade restrictions. If Edler wants to say yes to a TDL deal then it is up to another team to convince him. Not saying he is too old. Simply a question of allocating TOI. The younger d-men have to get minutes to develop towards CUP contention.

• Cheers 1