The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I can see resigning Edler on one year deals at $1.5 mil. No trade restrictions. If Edler wants to say yes to a TDL deal then it is up to another team to convince him. Not saying he is too old. Simply a question of allocating TOI. The younger d-men have to get minutes to develop towards CUP contention.

If Eddy re-signs that low, he'll want a NMC. Which is fine at that price its a bargain and he's earned it. 

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Eddy re-signs that low, he'll want a NMC. Which is fine at that price its a bargain and he's earned it. 

Agreed.  You don't treat a guy who's spent his entire career with the same team like garbage.  As long as it's reasonable Eddie will get what he asks for I think 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed.  You don't treat a guy who's spent his entire career with the same team like garbage.  As long as it's reasonable Eddie will get what he asks for I think 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Your right. It will hard to see him eventually hang them up. My over riding concern was where to find ice for OJ and Rathbone? Will Edler still be playing in 3 years? That is my target for a CUP contending team. It will be hard to replace Eddie's physical game. Hamonic has stepped up but JB has to resign him at an affordable rate. Woo is starting strong in Utica and plays a physical game on RD. JB has lots of hard decisions to make. 

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Your right. It will hard to see him eventually hang them up. My over riding concern was where to find ice for OJ and Rathbone? Will Edler still be playing in 3 years? That is my target for a CUP contending team. It will be hard to replace Eddie's physical game. Hamonic has stepped up but JB has to resign him at an affordable rate. Woo is starting strong in Utica and plays a physical game on RD. JB has lots of hard decisions to make. 

I suspect we might see one of OJ or Rathone traded if Jim goes hunting for a 3C this offseason. 

I'm fine with Edler coming back at this price, for one more year, but not more, that would be a mistake. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I suspect we might see one of OJ or Rathone traded if Jim goes hunting for a 3C this offseason. 

I'm fine with Edler coming back at this price, for one more year, but not more, that would be a mistake. 

I think if it's at a reasonable price they stick with Sutter at 3c and go with Kind or Mac at 4C

• Cheers 1

I admire and value that Alex Edler has brought to the team over his career. He is a loyal, dedicated athlete who has always given his best, even when he would have a stretch where he inexplicably couldn't do anything right. (think: Tortorella season) At this point, however if Tryamkin comes over, I think you allow Edler to walk. Why? I think there is a better chance of winning with Hamonic-Hughes, Myers-Juolevi, Schmidt-Rathbone, and Bowey-UFA bottom-pairing defenceman. My reasoning is that signing Edler takes up a spot from one of the younger guys entering the league. Benning could also reclaim Edler's $6 million dollar cap hit and spend it elsewhere (Hughes, Hamonic, Tryamkin). Not saying they'd get all three with the $6 million that Benning saves on Edler, but it does give the team more flexibility. As much as I love what Edler has brought to the team, Benning needs his spot for somebody else. (I could see Edler signing a two year deal in Calgary or Edmonton:ph34r:)

49 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I admire and value that Alex Edler has brought to the team over his career. He is a loyal, dedicated athlete who has always given his best, even when he would have a stretch where he inexplicably couldn't do anything right. (think: Tortorella season) At this point, however if Tryamkin comes over, I think you allow Edler to walk. Why? I think there is a better chance of winning with Hamonic-Hughes, Myers-Juolevi, Schmidt-Rathbone, and Bowey-UFA bottom-pairing defenceman. My reasoning is that signing Edler takes up a spot from one of the younger guys entering the league. Benning could also reclaim Edler's $6 million dollar cap hit and spend it elsewhere (Hughes, Hamonic, Tryamkin). Not saying they'd get all three with the $6 million that Benning saves on Edler, but it does give the team more flexibility. As much as I love what Edler has brought to the team, Benning needs his spot for somebody else. (I could see Edler signing a two year deal in Calgary or Edmonton:ph34r:)

Forget Bowey, he's played for 6 teams in 6 years, there's a reason that all those scouts, coaches and GM's have moved on from Madison Bowey. I believe he's here to satisfy expansion needs

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think it's safe to say that one of Edler, Hamonic or Myers isn't back next year. We simply don't have the roster space if Tryamkin is coming back AND we're giving time to Juolevi/Rathbone.

You can make an argument for/against any of those three guys and no answer would be wrong.

We could let Edler walk. We could let Hamonic walk. We could trade Myers after the ED. And there are ups and downs to all. Myers and Hamonic are younger. Edler and Hamonic would be cheaper. Edler and Myers have both shown longer term commitment to being here. Hamonic is the best fit with Hughes etc, etc.

Whichever pair of the three we go with, the D will look pretty comparable overall IMO. And as Boudrias correctly points out, this is still largely about getting the team to 2-3 years from now, where at best, one of these guys is still here regardless. So IMO, it comes down to secondary considerations.

For instance, I think we could likely sign both Edler ($4m?) and Hamonic ($3m?) for not much more than Myers is making alone ($6m). While also garnering a trade return for Myers and allocating cap elsewhere (3C perhaps?... Though I do agree Sutter at something around $2x2 makes a LOT of sense). I think those two could hold down the fort for the next couple years along with Hughes, Schmidt, Tryamkin, Juolevi, Rathbone and eventually Woo.

But I also wouldn't be upset. staying with the younger, committed Myers either if it shakes out that way.

As for the Juolevi/Rathbone play time concern, I think you platoon them. +/- 40 games each plus additional games to rest or repair Edler.

Regardless of how it all shakes out, it will be an interesting summer!

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well, @Jimmy McGill, @Boudrias and @Curmudgeon... With no Tryamkin, it may have vastly simplified our D decisions this offseason.

Now Benning largely just needs to look at potential upgrades via trade or alternatives to Hamonic in Savard or Larsson.

What a weekend. I'm scared to have the 3rd piece of news drop.

I do like Savard tho, you've been promoting that idea for a while and it would make a lot of sense. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What a weekend. I'm scared to have the 3rd piece of news drop.

I do like Savard tho, you've been promoting that idea for a while and it would make a lot of sense. 

Third piece? Who's got the betting line on Podkolzin re-upping with SKA for another two or three?

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Third piece? Who's got the betting line on Podkolzin re-upping with SKA for another two or three?

oh god. I was thinking something like 3 more years of Sutter. 

• Haha 2

On 5/2/2021 at 10:44 AM, aGENT said:

Well, @Jimmy McGill, @Boudrias and @Curmudgeon... With no Tryamkin, it may have vastly simplified our D decisions this offseason.

Now Benning largely just needs to look at potential upgrades via trade or alternatives to Hamonic in Savard or Larsson.

This is exactly what I just came to this thread for............

Can anyone explain why we would want Hamonic back next year?

But before you answer........I remind you, Quinn Hughes is -25 at this moment

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

This is exactly what I just came to this thread for............

Can anyone explain why we would want Hamonic back next year?

But before you answer........I remind you, Quinn Hughes is -25 at this moment

I actually like Hamonic.  But there is a reality to the fact that to get the best out of Quinn Hughes we need to pair him with a legitimate number 2 stud defenseman.

Then he can thrive.

Look at how Reilly improved this year in Toronto when paired with TJ Brodie.

Hamonic is a good 3rd pairing D but we are missing the real deal to pair with Hughes and help him become the player he is destined to be.

Biggest need for the team is that number two stud D to pair with Hughes to create us a real top pair.

Looking forward to it happening! Man that is going to be huge when it happens. We are going to take a huge step forward at that point.

I think Hamonic has been really good for us and don't blame him for Hughes' inflated minus rating.  Quinn is still learning about managing risky play and the team's results have pushed him to try too much too often.   Not Hamonic's fault.

Beyond his toughness and physicality, what I like about Hamonic is his play-reading ability.  You see him jump into the rush occasionally but he doesn't get burned often:  pretty good judgement there.  He's not an elite shutdown guy like Tanev, but he's a more than decent defensive defenseman. 

The interview he gave last night showed that he's pretty smart and that he likes being on this team.  All in all a pretty high-character guy. 

If it comes down to him versus Edler, with some regret I'd go with Hamonic simply because he's RD and younger.  Our young LD are all ready and any platooning of Juolevi and Rathbone will set both back.  We moved on from Bieksa, Burrows and Hansen, so we can move on from Edler too.  Myers will be staying because we need what he brings.  Schmidt we might move but more like in a year's time. 

We'll see what moves Benning has up his sleeve to open cap space.  But for me, Hamonic and a good 3C are much higher priorities than a farewell tour for Edler, great as he's been for us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 5/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, fanfor42 said:

I actually like Hamonic.  But there is a reality to the fact that to get the best out of Quinn Hughes we need to pair him with a legitimate number 2 stud defenseman.

Then he can thrive.

Hamonic is a good 3rd pairing D but we are missing the real deal to pair with Hughes and help him become the player he is destined to be.

Biggest need for the team is that number two stud D to pair with Hughes to create us a real top pair.

Looking forward to it happening! Man that is going to be huge when it happens. We are going to take a huge step forward at that point.

Next season is probably too soon but I think Jett Woo could be the ideal guy to play along side Quinn.  Jett has looked good in Utica this year.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, fanfor42 said:

Then he can thrive.

Hamonic is the only reason Hughes isnt a minus 70 this year.  

Hes a legit top 4 dman in this league and played better than guys like Schmidt all year long- not sure how this is so difficultt to see if you are actually watching the games.

• Upvote 1

Lol a charter member of the don't change anything and things will get better club.

Partner Hamonic is a pretty good if unspectacular player, but the point of the post is that in order for Hughes to reach his potential he needs a top pairing D with him. That statement is simply true.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:00 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

i think if Edler comes back Green will still give him far to many minutes relying on the Vets again. The young guys coming in can cover what Edlers been doing this year by committee and in turn allows them to build up their  games. At the worst add a cheap stay at home RHD as insurance.

• 5 weeks later...