The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bargaining tactic nothing more.

His agent is obviously getting this out there because the Canucks think they can lowball him if he only wants to play for 1 of 4 teams.

Hope so. He was a bargain this year. Without Tryamkin next season, our need for physical defensemen has amplified. Hopefully we can secure Hamonic with a deal that’s fair for all parties.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Slegr said:

Hope so. He was a bargain this year. Without Tryamkin next season, our need for physical defensemen has amplified. Hopefully we can secure Hamonic with a deal that’s fair for all parties.

Need more than just Hamonic. He’s not as physical as most prototypical physical stay-at-home D like a Savard/Larsson/Zadorov/McNabb/etc. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I'd like to see 2.5 x 2. Any more and we can pick from other options or trade for Zadorov. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Need more than just Hamonic. He’s not as physical as most prototypical physical stay-at-home D like a Savard/Larsson/Zadorov/McNabb/etc. 

Hes the right amount of physical.   

But we do need more physical players on the backend.  Cant lose Hamonic. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes the right amount of physical.   

But we do need more physical players on the backend.  Cant lose Hamonic. 

He's more of a balanced defensive D where nothing really stands out above the rest of his game.

Overall if he wants more than 2.5-3M I would let him go. He's a good 3rd pairing D on a playoff team

I would rather chase Larsson/Savard since they're more prototypical physical defensive D and are better. Maybe Zadorov if the Hawks aren't re-signing him but he'd be more of a physical 3rd pairing D than top 4 but he fits this age group better.

I hope the Canucks can get something done with Hamonic.  If I'm JB, I would be open to the idea of 3 years at $3.0M AAV. 

Other Canucks UFAs:

Pettersson: 3 years at $7.0M AAV ($5.0M, $6.0M, $8.0M so his q-offer on July 2025 is $8.0M)

Hughes: 3 years at $7.0M AAV (structured the same way as Pettersson)

Hamonic: 3 years at $3.0M AAV ($5.0M, $3.0M, $1.0M)

Edler: 1 year at $1.0M AAV, with bonuses to take him to $3.0M (games played, TOI, points)

Sutter: 2 years at $2.0M AAV

Buy Outs:

Virtanen: $50K cap hit in 2021-22 and $500K in 2022-23

Holtby: $500K cap hit in 2021-22 and $1.9M in 2022-23

Buried Contracts:

Roussel: $1.875M cap hit in 2021-22

Eriksson: $4.875 cap hit in 2021-22

This would leave the Canucks with $6.45M to sign a veteran back up goalie (someone like Dave Rittich at 1 year/$1.0M cap AAV) and a top nine forward (someone like Blake Coleman at $4.0M AAV).  This would all be on the assumption that Ferland and Beagle would be on the LTIR for the duration of the 2021-22 season.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

For the sake of Quinn not having to find chemistry for a third straight season, find a way to get Travis under a reasonable deal. Quinn can't keep switching partners, he won't learn to develop his defensive game and other areas if he has to keep relearning chemistry with a partner.

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

For the sake of Quinn not having to find chemistry for a third straight season, find a way to get Travis under a reasonable deal. Quinn can't keep switching partners, he won't learn to develop his defensive game and other areas if he has to keep relearning chemistry with a partner.

This is true. Benning seems to have two options here.

1. Re-sign Hamonic to ensure that Hughes makes strides with development under Shaw, or
  2. Acquire a #1 right handed defenseman in a trade that will be Hughes partner for the foreseeable future, so that they can develop chemistry and become a solid top pairing. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

1. Re-sign Hamonic to ensure that Hughes makes strides with development under Shaw, or
  2. Acquire a #1 right handed defenseman in a trade that will be Hughes partner for the foreseeable future, so that they can develop chemistry and become a solid top pairing. 

My guess is he’ll attempt to address that leading up to the expansion draft and then at the draft.

If the prices are too high he’ll still have time to sign Hamonic.

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I hope the Canucks can get something done with Hamonic.  If I'm JB, I would be open to the idea of 3 years at $3.0M AAV. 

Other Canucks UFAs:

Pettersson: 3 years at $7.0M AAV ($5.0M, $6.0M, $8.0M so his q-offer on July 2025 is $8.0M)

Hughes: 3 years at $7.0M AAV (structured the same way as Pettersson)

Hamonic: 3 years at $3.0M AAV ($5.0M, $3.0M, $1.0M)

Edler: 1 year at $1.0M AAV, with bonuses to take him to $3.0M (games played, TOI, points)

Sutter: 2 years at $2.0M AAV

Buy Outs:

Virtanen: $50K cap hit in 2021-22 and $500K in 2022-23

Holtby: $500K cap hit in 2021-22 and $1.9M in 2022-23

Buried Contracts:

Roussel: $1.875M cap hit in 2021-22

Eriksson: $4.875 cap hit in 2021-22

This would leave the Canucks with $6.45M to sign a veteran back up goalie (someone like Dave Rittich at 1 year/$1.0M cap AAV) and a top nine forward (someone like Blake Coleman at $4.0M AAV).  This would all be on the assumption that Ferland and Beagle would be on the LTIR for the duration of the 2021-22 season.

I like that plan but would like to see Sutter on a 1 year deal instead. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My guess is he’ll attempt to address that leading up to the expansion draft and then at the draft.

If the prices are too high he’ll still have time to sign Hamonic.

Didn't he already get burned waiting to sign another one of his high profile UFA's? 

If the numbers that Hamonic is looking for are reasonable and JB sees him as a contributor on this club in the future why wait a month and a half until the draft? 

Git'er done JB. 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Didn't he already get burned waiting to sign another one of his high profile UFA's? 

If the numbers that Hamonic is looking for are reasonable and JB sees him as a contributor on this club in the future why wait a month and a half until the draft? 

Git'er done JB. 

If the Canucks sign Hamonic before expansion, then they'll need to choose whether to protect him for expansion.  If they include a NMC, then they MUST protect him.  The Canucks have actually set themselves up reasonably well from an expansion perspective (cap is a whole other matter).  For these reasons, I'm good with the Canucks waiting to attempt re-signing Hamonic until after expansion.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hamonic now open to playing anywhere really, and his services will be wanted. 

So the question is:  Does Benning "run out of time" re-signing him?

No one will sign Hamonic before the ED.  And that’s Hammer’s agent saying the player will sign with any team.  Hammer will sign here, Calgary, Edmonton, or the Peg.  I see him back here on a two year deal at 2.5 per. 

• Cheers 2

On 6/17/2021 at 11:29 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

There is a 3rd.

Hughes moves to the right D.  He has played there, says he is equally comfortable there, and has also said that in some ways he prefers there as he can be more unpredictable in his offense by adding that "cut to the center" move as well as essentially making the rink "wider" as he can hug the boards and still have good angles to pass or shoot from there (I think it was in his first 5 game season exit interview where he commented on this)

That would add a whole new dimension to the partner discussion - an appropriate left side D partner.  Could be Edler for a season or 2, with OJ as understudy (or  Brisebois) or add from the FA market.  (Or, a long shot, Untunen)

Or Schmidt.  Pairing them together didn't work so well in the few games it was tried, but that was with Schmidt playing right D.....  switch them at least in an exhibition game or 2 to see if there is any chemistry there with that formation.  (Except that a decision would surely have been made before training camp or exhibition season)

But will likely he Hamonic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

There is a 3rd.

Hughes moves to the right D.  He has played there, says he is equally comfortable there, and has also said that in some ways he prefers there as he can be more unpredictable in his offense by adding that "cut to the center" move as well as essentially making the rink "wider" as he can hug the boards and still have good angles to pass or shoot from there (I think it was in his first 5 game season exit interview where he commented on this)

That would add a whole new dimension to the partner discussion - an appropriate left side D partner.  Could be Edler for a season or 2, with OJ as understudy (or  Brisebois) or add from the FA market.  (Or, a long shot, Untunen)

Or Schmidt.  Pairing them together didn't work so well in the few games it was tried, but that was with Schmidt playing right D.....  switch them at least in an exhibition game or 2 to see if there is any chemistry there with that formation.  (Except that a decision would surely have been made before training camp or exhibition season)

Hughes hasn't even figured out how to play defense on his natural side all that well yet.  Until we can get a reliable partner for him (why couldn't Gillis have left Benning even just one such defenseman like say a Tanev type) let him develop on his natural side imho.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

There is a 3rd.

Or sign a comparatively cheap lefty like Oleksiak in that ^^ scenario, or righties like Ceci or Hakanpaa in the interim. 

Or trade for Mayfield or Foote.

None are likely long term, first pair fits for Hughes but all (Hamonic included) can be his short term partner in the interim until we find a more permanent solution.

Or some combination of all of the above.

Ideally we'd trade for a  Mayfield/Foote and re-sign Hamonic or alternately Hakanpaa...

Hughes, Hamonic/Hakanpaa

Schmidt, Mayfield/Foote

Juolevi, Myers

Edler on a cheap, one year, bonus heavy deal as 7th

Rathbone in Abby playing big minutes and first injury call up.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 6/16/2021 at 7:09 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Oh man, would love to get Larsson or Savard. If we can get Zadorov for cheap, then I don’t mind it. If not, forget about it. 

Larsson and Savard are both UFA’s right? Would you want them on 4-5 year deals?