The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Sorry but the guy can go improve his skill set by calling junior games or AAA men’s hockey in Lloydminster. I don’t have the time or patience to wait thus long for hockey to come back just to listen to some back up hack. I know times are tough and companies want to cut back. But cmon 

entitled much?

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Honestly, where would you rate the Canucks defense?  Cause I'm trying to think and I really think there's an argument that our defense is the best in the division.  Only the Canadiens and the Flames are comparable.

The Habs have a very solid top 4 - Weber, Petry, Edmundson, Chiarot...and Romanov looks pretty talented.

The Flames - hard to argue with Giordano and Tanev....very good young talent as well with Hanifin, Andersson and Valimaki....

But I wouldn't consider Edler, Schmidt, Hughes, Myers, Juolevi and Hamonic second to either of those groups - and beyond that I think the Canucks depth also holds up.

I'm not sure how I'd rate them - but I'd also factor in  a pretty young forward group in Montreal - and while I think Calgary has good forward depth, in terms of defensive forwards, I like our group as much or better - so all things considered, I think the Canucks may have the most solid, integrative defensive hockey team in the North.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not a 'fan' of pairing Hamonic with Hughes.   And I think it's likely that coaches will look to exploit them, particularly on the road....Tippett certainly seemed to fire McMe1st out there every chance he got with Hamonic/Hughes on the ice.

I think they should limit Hamonic's minutes to pairing with Juolevi (who I think is better 'support' for him than Hughes is) and otherwise get him pk minutes.  In fairness to him, if he had rust last night, that's understandable, but even at his best he has nowhere near Tanev's ability to stay with players like McMe1st.

Myers imo is the guy you want getting more exposure with Hughes (and I think Hughes will benefit more from him / probably 'needs' him more than Juolevi does.

I'm sure Green has his reasons - but I won't be surprised if Hamonic doesn't remain paired with Hughes.

I agree.  At least from what I've seen so far.  I'll give Hamonic a little more rope, as he has not played in awhile.  But if Hughes has to have his head on a swivel all game, worrying about having to cover for his partner at any second, and having to do just that at times, it will take away from that Hughes free spirit that we have come to appreciate in his game.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Yeah, stranger things have happened. Remember Brunnstrom? 

The real test is going to be how he plays when we're losing, and if we lose more than 2 in a row, how he handles his 300ft game. 

He sure didn't look out of place at any point last night though 

He’ll be fine, hockey rinks are only 200 feet long:P

• Haha 1

Hopefully hamonic will improve but I guess it would be tough to get worse.

Been a while since I’ve seen a guy get beat so easily so often. 

Myers needs to stop chasing hits and getting caught way out of position.

Fun to watch the young guys fly around with energy and drive. Hog boeser horvat EP hughes gaud and JV  making the Nucks fun and exciting again. 

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

It’s a public forum, do I need to be solicited? Obviously you don’t care, but a bit presumptuous of you to speak for everyone else.

Also, it’s not a race thing, or an experience thing, it was just not that good,

Early in my career I wasn’t so good at a few things either. Criticism can be used to build up, not just tear down.

or you could say, hey, it was the guys first time doing a national broadcast in English, the execs at Rogers thought highly enough of him to give him a shot. maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he improves. 

1 minute ago, Tracksuit said:

Hopefully hamonic will improve but I guess it would be tough to get worse.

Been a while since I’ve seen a guy get beat so easily so often. 

Myers needs to stop chasing hits and getting caught way out of position.

Fun to watch the young guys fly around with energy and drive. Hog boeser horvat EP hughes gaud and JV  making the Nucks fun and exciting again. 

Honestly, he just met the guys. I can forgive the mistakes so long as he gets better. Same with Juolevi.

• Vintage 3

1 hour ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Yep. Their success is entirely dependent upon McDavid and Draisaitl. You can’t expect to go anywhere unless you have a great support system all around. Look at the Penguins for example. Sid was the best player in the league for a while, but he had a plethora of great players around him from Geno, Letang, Fleury, Orpik, Kessel etc and they won multiple cups. Same with Chicago. 

I think their success is more dependent upon Dave Tippet (McMe and Draisaitl are somewhat a 'given' - where they need to improve is where Tippet comes in, and if anything, they are notably improved since his arrival.

Decades of patronage management and amateur player development probably won't be overcome in one season - but I think people around here are probably underestimating Edmonton overall.  I think they still have work to do, particularly weak imo at LW and with center depth - but I'd probably give them an edge relative to Toronto's depth overall - and in coaching.  Both these teams have ridden their lottery coat-tails, but at least Edmonton appears intent on changing - Toronto on the other hand looks like a team determined to continue to outsmart themselves.

Edited by oldnews

5 minutes ago, tas said:

or you could say, hey, it was the guys first time doing a national broadcast in English, the execs at Rogers thought highly enough of him to give him a shot. maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he improves. 

Didn’t say I wouldn’t. And I am not a negative Nancy anyhoo. You’re overthinking it, it was an opinion that a few others shared as well. Is there a reason you are singling me out?

Edited by CaptKirk888
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Classic Bieksa when he accused Freidman of dying his hair. Breath of fresh air IMHO. Old Eliot looked pretty grey during the CUP finals with his beard. That grey went pretty high on the scalp. All that aside who the h*ll is Kevin B. getting to cut his hair. Looked like they were going to scalp him and changed their minds.   

Such a pleasure having that counterbalance of Juice and Burkeee on the panel.   Friedman and Stewart look overcooked trying to measure up.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, tas said:

Didn’t say I wouldn’t. And I am not a negative Nancy anyhoo. You’re overthinking it, it was an opinion that a few others shared as well. Is there a reason you are singling me out?

Edited by CaptKirk888
  • Like 1