The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

says you? im a go ahead and agree with all the nhl panelists who all have him at #1or2

All 5 of those guys are dominant offensively and don't need a tourist visa to enter their own end.  They're all also excellent leaders who make their teammates better.  McDiver is only good in the offensive zone and throws temper tantrums when the refs don't fall for his flopping.  He enters the conversation when he learns to play like a man instead of a little *****.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

Disagree.  I bet A lot of these guys are better athletes than 66 and 99 it’s just the times.  Nutrition, equipment, exercise science have advanced. 

Mario at his peak had eyes on the back of his head and a remote control on the puck.  Not only that he was like 6 foot 5.  

McD is pure power but isn’t at the same level

when it comes to utilizing his team mates and seeing the ice.  Maybe he gets better and surpasses them one day but not right now. 

edit: it’s easy to declare mcd as the greatest of all time after he picks apart Ol man edler tonight.. I’m just looking at the whole body of work lol 

maybe its harder to make plays when your skating at 37 km/hr?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He was brought back as a stopgap if none of the youth was ready for a top six role, who can still fill in if necessary.  I'd still rather keeping him around if it keeps our $6 million floating piece of trash in the press box where he belongs.

The only 'youth' was Hoglander. Considering they didn't explore any other options - that tells me Jake was brought back to be given another opportunity to take a step.

It wouldn't have been hard to bring back Leivo, or someone of that ilk, as insurance. Or they could've considering moving on from Jake & targetting someone else. Instead they decided on Jake & giving Hog a try. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

All 5 of those guys are dominant offensively and don't need a tourist visa to enter their own end.  They're all also excellent leaders who make their teammates better.  McDiver is only good in the offensive zone and throws temper tantrums when the refs don't fall for his flopping.  He enters the conversation when he learns to play like a man instead of a little *****.

do you watch all of mcdavids games? just curious

30 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Too soon after a condensed boot camp, too many are still in pre-pre-season form, perhaps? Pray that they manage these back to back, or 3 in 4 night tilts, much better in the days & weeks ahead.   

They have the horses to match the opposition hit for hit. Why not do it?

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Yeah I can start posting 400 hours of 99 and 66 highlights too.   

For those declaring mcd the greatest of all time.  He wasn’t even the best player in the league last year .  He got bounced by the Chicago blackhawks.  Yet he’s better than 66 and 99 ... ok 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

The only 'youth' was Hoglander. Considering they didn't explore any other options - that tells me Jake was brought back to be given another opportunity to take a step.

It wouldn't have been hard to bring back Leivo, or someone of that ilk, as insurance. Or they could've considering moving on from Jake & targetting someone else. Instead they decided on Jake & giving Hog a try. 

And he was ready.  I suspect the option if neither player could fill the spot would have been a trade involving giving up futures, which Benning didn't want to do unless it was necessary.  There will be lots of injuries this year, more than enough to give Jake a chance to show what he can do.  It's time to **** or get off the pot.

13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

a goal is a goal is a goal, those goals helped us get to the playoffs. the powerplay seems off because were missing our top PP scorer, and we focused on 5v5 play

No disagreement there. But I think years like that will be an anomoly and certainly arent likely to reoccur this season as we will be facing the same teams over and over. If we continue with this powerplay I don't see us cracking the top 12 this year. It becomes super predictable after you've seen it 5 times. 

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

do you watch all of mcdavids games? just curious

I tend to avoid watching AHL teams unless they're playing against the Canucks.  I've seen enough of him to know he's not in the same class as the truly elite guys, and won't be until he commits to being a team player.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

If you did I think you'd understand the argument of using Mac in a bigger role. He can absolutely be a skill player. The guy has amazing finish. He's just never been put into a position to play that way. 

I agree. He scored 5 goals in 17 games last year (24g pace). He has skill, and he actually uses his size.

I'd like to see it given an honest chance.

1 minute ago, Darius said:

For those declaring mcd the greatest of all time.  He wasn’t even the best player in the league last year .  He got bounced by the Chicago blackhawks.  Yet he’s better than 66 and 99 ... ok 

These posters that are saying McDavid is better than 99 and 66 are likely too young to have ever witnessed the great one and Mario play. 

Simply look at the percentage difference between Gretzky and the nicest highest scorer from the same season (therefore comparing apples to apples).  You'll quickly realize that it would be the equivalent of the art Ross winner in the current 82 game type season scoring 150ish points and the 2nd player scoring about 100.  Yes it's that big of a gap.  That's how good Gretzky was.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

i've watched a lot of those clips, mcdavid does everything that those players do. and if you disagree, you just have 80's rose colored glasses on

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

Doesn't the best mean you're on top?  

image.png

Anyhow, too much Oil in here.  I'm moving on...they won one of two.  Let's give them the cup now.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

No disagreement there. But I think years like that will be an anomoly and certainly arent likely to reoccur this season as we will be facing the same teams over and over. If we continue with this powerplay I don't see us cracking the top 12 this year. It becomes super predictable after you've seen it 5 times. 

i buy that.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And he was ready.  I suspect the option if neither player could fill the spot would have been a trade involving giving up futures, which Benning didn't want to do unless it was necessary.  There will be lots of injuries this year, more than enough to give Jake a chance to show what he can do.  It's time to **** or get off the pot.

The point is we've been doing this/saying this forever. Whats the definition of insanity? Something something..

Trades are alot trickier thing to pull off this year. I think they decided to try and get by with what we have until Podkolzin arrives. Its worked so far in that Hog is ready, but after Hoglander there's not much considering they refuse to try Baertschi.

I'd like to see MacEwen given the next chance.