The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

i've watched a lot of those clips, mcdavid does everything that those players do. and if you disagree, you just have 80's rose colored glasses on

Yeah and you have 2020s blue colour glasses on.

If he’s better than 66 and 99 why did Draisaitl win all the hardware last year? He wasn’t even the best on his team let alone better than the absolute legends of all time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And also solidifies our pk. I’d rather him just play out his contract than be stuck with another season of wasted cap.

Jake needs to stop being given the idea that he’ll ever be a top 6 forward. Coach needs to make his role very clear in the bottom 6. Play physical, forecheck hard, and get pucks to the net. Don’t do that and you don’t play. Simple.

sorta like how sam bennett changed his game

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr cannot do what McDavid does. McDavid can do what all three of them can in terms of skill. 

Don't be bitter because McDavid is unravelling our team. 

You're dreaming if you think that's remotely true.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The point is we've been doing this/saying this forever. Whats the definition of insanity? Something something..

Trades are alot trickier thing to pull off this year. I think they decided to try and get by with what we have until Podkolzin arrives. Its worked so far in that Hog is ready, but after Hoglander there's not much considering they refuse to try Baertschi.

I'd like to see MacEwen given the next chance.

Yeah, I think this is the right solution.  I don't hold much hope for Jake to finally get it, and wouldn't be upset to see him moved if we can salvage any kind of value in the return.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's why I tell my wife she's the best all the time.

Can you imagine prime Gretzky or prime Lemieux finishing that far down the list?  I mean he’s an awesome player but the recency bias here is strong. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

If he’s better than 66 and 99 why did Draisaitl win all the hardware last year? He wasn’t even the best on his team let alone better than the absolute legends of all time. 

i never said he was the best of all time, im kust saying if he played in the 80's he would probably score just as much as these two. you also have to factor in his linemates for his shortcomings. both gretzky and lemeuix had stacked teams when they were dominating offensively 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Can you imagine prime Gretzky or prime Lemieux finishing that far down the list?  I mean he’s an awesome player but the recency bias here is strong. 

Look at the plugs Lemieux turned into all-stars by the time he was McDiver's age.  Mario had to do it all by himself until Jagr was drafted and was still dominant.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

Yeah I can start posting 400 hours of 99 and 66 highlights too.   

For those declaring mcd the greatest of all time.  He wasn’t even the best player in the league last year .  He got bounced by the Chicago blackhawks.  Yet he’s better than 66 and 99 ... ok 

He was injured last year lol. Even though Drai put up the most points, even Oilers fans wouldn't dare say he was the best player on the team. 

He singlehandedly wins them games on a consistent basis. No other player has required as little help on his line as McDavid in the history of the game. He is so good that they literally keep Draisaitl off his line purposefully because he can carry his own line. They put him with third line players and he still puts up a ppg. 

Just now, Darius said:

No kidding.

Lemieux alone was better than McDavid as an all-round player. Who played in the 90s... and then in the 2000s... in clutch and grab... with cancer. Then beat cancer, and came back. At almost 40.

And Gretzky was even better than Lemieux. I'm old enough to have Gretz and Lemieux play in their primes... I loathed Gretzky with a passion. But he made every player better by being there. Lemieux was a little more individualistic and way too whiny for such a big guy to start with, but even he got the message pretty quick.

If you give me two first overall pick and the choices are McDavid, Sakic or Yzerman (and those two for how legendary they are are definitely a tier below Gretz / Orr and Lemieux) I still don't pick McDavid, because he's still not the best of those three. Maybe one day he elevates to that level, but right now he plays like a one man team.

Individually, he's an *exceptionally* talented hockey player, no question. But this is hockey, not basketball, and as a result no matter how good 'one guy' is, unless he makes the players around him better, he's simply not as good as the rest of the guys on the all time "really great" list, much less the vaunted Big 3 of Orr, Gretz and Lemieux.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i never said he was the best of all time, im kust saying if he played in the 80's he would probably score just as much as these two. you also have to factor in his linemates for his shortcomings. both gretzky and lemeuix had stacked teams when they were dominating offensively 

By year 5, Lemieux had 199pts in 76 games.

By year 4, Gretzky had 212pts.

McDavid is in year 5... He better have nights like tonight all season long if he wants to be compared to 66 and 99 lol

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

He was injured last year lol. Even though Drai put up the most points, even Oilers fans wouldn't dare say he was the best player on the team. 

He singlehandedly wins them games on a consistent basis. No other player has required as little help on his line as McDavid in the history of the game. He is so good that they literally keep Draisaitl off his line purposefully because he can carry his own line. They put him with third line players and he still puts up a ppg. 

Yeah, sure... Wow look at that stacked roster when Lemieux scored 199pts in under 80 games...

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000501989.html

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, brownky said:

No kidding.

Lemieux alone was better than McDavid as an all-round player. Who played in the 90s... and then in the 2000s... in clutch and grab... with cancer. Then beat cancer, and came back. At almost 40.

And Gretzky was even better than Lemieux. I'm old enough to have Gretz and Lemieux play in their primes... I loathed Gretzky with a passion. But he made every player better by being there. Lemieux was a little more individualistic and way too whiny for such a big guy to start with, but even he got the message pretty quick.

If you give me two first overall pick and the choices are McDavid, Sakic or Yzerman (and those two for how legendary they are are definitely a tier below Gretz / Orr and Lemieux) I still don't pick McDavid, because he's still not the best of those three. Maybe one day he elevates to that level, but right now he plays like a one man team.

Individually, he's an *exceptionally* talented hockey player, no question. But this is hockey, not basketball, and as a result no matter how good 'one guy' is, unless he makes the players around him better, he's simply not as good as the rest of the guys on the all time "really great" list, much less the vaunted Big 3 of Orr, Gretz and Lemieux.

I don't understand how people say this.  You do realize McDavid is a playmaker right? 

People literally up until last year were getting pissed at him for not shooting. He's a pass first player lol. 

What are all of you smoking?! 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/mcdavco01.html